RMweb

Mookie

• RMweb Gold

Does the Hornby chassis not need extending? As I thought it used the old Lima body. I'm not sure on the wheel placement of those two in relation to the Dapol bogie frames. But you may have been better off with a railroad 37 chassis

• Like 1

My Dapol Deltic kit body fitted straight onto a Lima Deltic chassis with no modifications required.

Don't know about the Hornby chassis, but if the Hornby (ex Lima) Body is the same as the old Lima body it should fit.

Brit15

On 02/01/2016 at 18:19, russ p said:

Does the Hornby chassis not need extending? As I thought it used the old Lima body. I'm not sure on the wheel placement of those two in relation to the Dapol bogie frames. But you may have been better off with a railroad 37 chassis

Edited by Mookie

A1 models of Worksop - John Flower - did a set of etched grilles for this, and may still have some. He's still in business and does some shows.

The benefit of choosing a Hornby (or Lima) chassis is that you can make sure the bogie centres are at correct distances by hacking the frame - IIRC the Prototype Deltic bogie centres are a foot closer together than the production series, although the bogies themselves are longer, as you will see from the Dapol frames in the kit.

John.

On 02/01/2016 at 19:53, John Tomlinson said:

A1 models of Worksop - John Flower - did a set of etched grilles for this, and may still have some. He's still in business and does some shows.

The benefit of choosing a Hornby (or Lima) chassis is that you can make sure the bogie centres are at correct distances by hacking the frame - IIRC the Prototype Deltic bogie centres are a foot closer together than the production series, although the bogies themselves are longer, as you will see from the Dapol frames in the kit.

John.

Edited by Mookie

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mookie

I made one of these 7 or 8 years ago and used the Bachmann chassis. I used the A1 models etches and the Fox transfers for it. Fox also do some etches for this loco but they only do the nameplates on the nose sides and ends if I remember correctly.

Here is a photo of my loco, the blue is the Phoenix version, it looks a bit dark in this photo, but I think it is just down to the lighting as I took it whilst exhibiting the layout and only used the lighting from the layout and the hall to take the picture.

post-6711-0-49274400-1451920540_thumb.jpg

Good luck with your model.

Ian

• Like 7

A1 models of Worksop - John Flower - did a set of etched grilles for this, and may still have some.....

Yes, A1 did produce a set. Apart from the Craftsman DP1 conversion pack, A1 were probably the only ones to cater for the ProtoDeltic, so it's not as if you've got a lot of choice if you want detailing parts.

If you were going to be nit-picking, A1 cantrail grilles are not correct for the ProtoDeltic since they have too many slats in them, but then you've got the whole context of the ex-Kitmaster kit which is wrong all over the place anyway, so what's a few extra slats?

• Like 1

On 04/01/2016 at 15:17, macgeordie said:

Hi Mookie

I made one of these 7 or 8 years ago and used the Bachmann chassis. I used the A1 models etches and the Fox transfers for it. Fox also do some etches for this loco but they only do the nameplates on the nose sides and ends if I remember correctly.

Here is a photo of my loco, the blue is the Phoenix version, it looks a bit dark in this photo, but I think it is just down to the lighting as I took it whilst exhibiting the layout and only used the lighting from the layout and the hall to take the picture.

attachicon.gifP1010696b.jpg

Good luck with your model.

Ian

Edited by Mookie

On 05/01/2016 at 13:08, Horsetan said:

Yes, A1 did produce a set. Apart from the Craftsman DP1 conversion pack, A1 were probably the only ones to cater for the ProtoDeltic, so it's not as if you've got a lot of choice if you want detailing parts.

If you were going to be nit-picking, A1 cantrail grilles are not correct for the ProtoDeltic since they have too many slats in them, but then you've got the whole context of the ex-Kitmaster kit which is wrong all over the place anyway, so what's a few extra slats?

Edited by Mookie

• RMweb Premium

Unless Fox have discontinued them, they do a set which covers a number of the prototype diesels and all the lining is included. I'm pretty sure that was the set I used as I didn't buy any other decals from another source to complete the model.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

The set I used was FRH4040/2 and this appears to be still available. You do need to remove the moulded detail from the side of the loco body though or the lining does'nt fit properly.

Ian

• Like 1

.... After seeing what other modellers have done, I felt I wanted to have a go myself. ....

Best not use mine as an example. I've corrected the bodyside window positions and the top curve of the nose, but correcting the windscreen shapes and angles have caused me no end of trouble. Until I get somewhere with that, I'll not be able to finish the thing.

Could you graft on the front cab windows from the Lima/Hornby body? I think it would improve the look as the Dapol ones don't seem quite right. I have been thinking about having a go at this.

dave

Edited by drgj

On 10/01/2016 at 22:42, macgeordie said:

The set I used was FRH4040/2 and this appears to be still available. You do need to remove the moulded detail from the side of the loco body though or the lining does'nt fit properly.

Ian

Edited by Mookie

Russ, looks like you're right. Just received a delivery of a bogie frame for the chassis, too realise the axle spacing doesn't match the model kit axle spacing. Back to the drawing board. Going to have a look at the railroad 37 chassis you recommend, or may even have to go do the Lima chassis route after all. 

Kind regards,

Mookie

Here's mine, done several years ago.

post-6861-0-16351600-1452728097_thumb.jpeg

The body is pretty much the basic kit, the cab handrails replaced with wire, the blue was from Precision Paints and the cream stripes were done by hand. Replica, I think, provided the DELTIC decal. Glazing is from individual pieces of acetate apart from those curving cab side window which were done with Krystal Klear.

The chassis is the old Hornby 37, is that the current Railroad Model? I don't recall now whether I used the original chassis frame too or just used the bogies and built a frame to suit them. It runs on Ultrascale wheels which were a drop in conversion.

I think that the etched circular EE badge on the rear cab side was from Kings Cross. They were getting hard to get hold of at the time and I never managed to get hold of a pair of the corresponding rectangular plates for the opposite ends. You can see the raised blank panel where it should go.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

South Eastern Finecast did a set of vacuum formed glazing for this loco but I don't know if it is still available.

I do have a spare unopened pack, the reference number is SE95 if you need one Mookie.

Ian