Mookie

• RMweb Premium

The coach is the L&Y one, it is a Stevensons coaches kit I built about 9 or 10 years ago. Barrie Stevenson retired so I'm not sure if the coach is still available. I did a kit for the LMS one myself about 5 years ago to go with the MTU brake coaches that were used with the LMS coach but I sold the rights to both kits to Brian Hanson of Shawplan after I had made my own but I don't think Brian ever did anything with the kits afterwards.

Here are a links to the threads

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/665/entry-5202-lmsbr-dynamometer-car-3/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=29552

Ian

Virtually nothing RTR will, because the ProtoDeltic had a bogie wheelbase of 7'2" X 7'2". The closest is the Class 47 bogie which is 7'3" X 7'3".

Another option is a Hornby 31. For this purpose you could buy a rotted example and then make a chassis with the correct distance between the bogies, which is my plan as yet unfulfilled. The wheel centres are a very close match for the axle covers on the Dapol bogie.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
  • Like 1

Another option is a Hornby 31. For this purpose you could buy a rotted example and then make a chassis with the correct distance between the bogies, which is my plan as yet unfulfilled. The wheel centres are a very close match for the axle covers on the Dapol bogie.

Full table of diesel bogie wheelbases here

....and I think we can forget asking Bachmann Spares Department whether they ever have ProtoDeltic bogie mechanisms available. Very unhelpful.

• Like 1

Horsetan,

Many thanks for posting the table of data.

I've always wondered if the Bachmann Proto Deltic did actually have a dimensionally correct chassis - I haven't bought one to check - and perhaps someone could advise us if this is the case?

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

....always wondered if the Bachmann Proto Deltic did actually have a dimensionally correct chassis ...

It does. The only parts of it I've ever managed to acquire as spares are the plastic underframe / undertray, and the cosmetic bogie frames. No other spares seem to have ever been available, despite repeated enquiries.

I have the Penbits sprung bogie frames which are designed to match.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everybody - first post on here!

I, too, am working on a Dapol DP1 kit, and I've been looking at the Shawplan EEDP55-00E roof grilles and walkways, but I see there are no fans included

Does anybody know if DP1 fans are available from anywhere? Or could fans from another class of loco be substituted? I have to confess I don't know what the original DP1 fans looked like...

.... working on a Dapol DP1 kit, and I've been looking at the Shawplan EEDP55-00E roof grilles and walkways, but I see there are no fans included

Does anybody know if DP1 fans are available from anywhere? Or could fans from another class of loco be substituted? I have to confess I don't know what the original DP1 fans looked like...

There are only one or two Shawplan/EE etches that can be used on the ProtoDeltic:

- roof fans / fan mesh for the original / early production "55"; do NOT use the later version.

- bodyside window frames.

That's about it for DP1. From time to time, I do ask Brian Hanson whether he might have time to draft a few more detail etches for the ProtoDeltic, but frankly the man's so busy with the more common and popular diesel classes I think we can safely say that it's not going to happen.

A1 Models used to produce an etch pack specifically to help detail the Dapol/ex-Kitmaster plastic kit, but it does have mistakes in it (mainly the curved cantrail grilles which have too many slats in them) and appears to be unavailable new.

Thanks for that, Horsetan. The current Shawplan website lists the following:

EEDP55-00(E) Class 55 Roof fan grilles and walkways (as built) Note: fans not included

so again I'm stuck without fans.

I'll keep searching...

Edited by Malifex

Most of their website seems to be empty - looks like a template site that hasn't been populated with any details yet. I've emailed them...

Aren't they up in my old stomping ground, Worksop area?

Yes they are. John Flower the proprietor is certainly alive and well and I saw him recently, I think at Doncaster show.

John.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The coach is Dynamometer car 1 which is the ex L&Y vehicle, but is incorrect for the tests on the S&C. Once I realised that, I produced skit for dynamometer car 3 which is the correct one along with a kit for the Mobile Test Unit brake coaches so I could recreate the correct train. I now run this train on the layout at exhibitions. I sold the rights to the kits to Shawplan but I don't think Brian ever did anything more with them.

Ian

Edited by macgeordie