New to N DCC and scared

the fuzzler

I'm quite confident with OO decoder fitting, but having been tempted into N by a Bachmann 150, I am now scared. My eyesight isn't as good as I thought (!) and now - attempting to get the body off the 150, there is all sorts of bending going on.

Please, before I break something, what is the best way to get it off ? I can slip a fine blade in, but dont want to slice through anhything inside the body.

And this is supposed to be easy. You must be real masochists doing none DCC ready N......well done !!

Best way I've found is to grip the fuel tank with one hand (the first box behind the outer end bogie - this looks the least fragile underfloor bit) and run a thumb nail down between the body and the chassis on each side. I think the clips are towards each end.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

after fitting a few DCC chips to N gauage locos, including the Dapol terrier blink.gif

just take your time and the best tool i can tell you to use is a couple of strips of plasti card to run along side the body and the chassis to make it easier to get the body off.

never rush anything when fitting and check using a multi meter/tester to make sure you havent got any shorts between the chassis and the chips.

hope that helps

cheers

Simon

Best way I've found is to grip the fuel tank with one hand (the first box behind the outer end bogie - this looks the least fragile underfloor bit) and run a thumb nail down between the body and the chassis on each side. I think the clips are towards each end.

Also helps if you gently push the floor inwards as it will bow gently and let you get at the sides. It's a real pain to get the shell off, Bachmann perhaps need to make it easier on future designs.

Archived