Class 60 'Quinag'

Phil Mc

So does that mean that my models of 60077 (2006) and 60062 (2008) have the wrong coloured roof then? I am at a total loss here :scratchhead:.

I never blame the staff at the factory, but I do point the finger at the development and the marketing team because they have the resources available to them to make the model spot on which is expected on a premium model in my opinion. As the factory workers are only producing the model to how it was ordered from HQ.

**Reaches out for the masking tape and the Tamiya XF53**

"So does that mean that my models of 60077 (2006) and 60062 (2008) have the wrong coloured roof then?"

Don't know about '62 (I don't have one) but '77 needs the Executive Dark Grey roof.

Certainly agree with you about the development and marketing staff. If those staff really don't know they should employ consultants who do (for D&E traction DEMU members or Rail Express Modeller people for example). I'm sure they'd get better sales for the relatively small extra cost of real expert opinion.

Relying on my eyes here. The colour on the roof of my 60077 and 60062 are identical. So I am going to repaint these using some phoenix paints and I will go for the Intercity grey as from what I was reading about 60090 being correct, then 60077 and 60062 are both got the wrong roofs. As they say, two wrongs don't make a right ;).

The darker grey is correct.

Cravensdmufan to answer your question yes I painted all 3 greys. The model was a mainline blue one before. Rail grey lower bodyside, flint grey (railmatch as the pheonix version is too dark) upper bodyside and executive dark grey for the roof as per the standard for all the roofs (with standard application) in the liveries of the time including departmantal grey, dutch (civil link, Hornby did their 31 with a railfreight grey roof, incorrectly, although some departmental grey 31's did have lighter grey roofs it wasn't the standard application) and parcels red. When RES came along I believe that the colour they used was swallow falcon grey on that.

Thanks for all that very useful information RBE. Especially the recommendation of Railmatch for the Flint Grey.

Looks like my brand new Quinag will be getting a full repaint. Shouldn't be necessary in this day and age, but what can you do?

Might as well re-number/re-name while I'm at it to make it a bit different. Still Coal Sector though as that's it's the one I was wanting for years.

No problem, Just a little correction on RES though, the grey is Express parcels grey apparently according to the Fox website however they also say that dutch and departmental grey roofs are rf grey too which they are not. Although some are but its very hard to tell on photos due to sky effect. Look at the front of the headcode box on this ex works example and compare that with the bodyside. The sky effect is easily seen on the rest of the roof.

post-6894-0-63357900-1453068210_thumb.jpg

As for repainting, I usually end up repainting all of my locos. I only have 1 loco (Dapol class 58 in original RF) not repainted. Usually due to cost rather than availability though.

Archived