West Clare Railway, Moyasta, Ireland.

Looking good!

I haven't been there for years, and at the time it was a purely diesel operation, although I did also see SC under restoration in the UK (at Keefe's, IIRC).

The thing that I really liked about the West Clare was how much remains of the stations at other locations. Kilkee is fairly complete, and one (Milltown Malbay, maybe?) was so complete it looked as if a train might arrive at any moment. No wonder the line struggled, though, because the route seems to go round the sun to meet the moon! At one point, I invented an extension on towards Loop Head, with the idea of building a layout, but it came to nothing.

Kevin

PS: just made me remember a demonstration of the matter of fact-ness of farmers that I saw when at Moyasta. A cat ran out in front of the car as I passed a farm, and I hit it. Said moggy was lying in the road twitching. I went to the farm, expecting the people to be distraught, call the vet etc, but no ........ The woman came out, stamped heavily on the cat's head to finish it off, picked it up by the tail, and dropped it into a dustbin. The incident stuck in my mind!

ensible thing to do really. Not sure I could though, probably to the cat's detriment.

Just a footnote for anyone in the area next summer, if you pay for the coal , there's a good chance he will steam 5C on a non-steaming day. It's what we did and we had the free run of the place, footplate rides and free tea. Jackie Whelan is a great guy imo

That's what I love about County Clare. They do things differently there.

.....The thing that I really liked about the West Clare was how much remains of the stations at other locations. Kilkee is fairly complete, and one (Milltown Malbay, maybe?) was so complete it looked as if a train might arrive at any moment. .....

Lahinch disappeared under housing development decades ago, and so thorough has that redevelopment been that it is impossible to trace where the line ran or where the original station site was. I tried several times on several visits, without success.

Ennistymon no longer exists for all practical purposes since a hotel complex was built on and around it, and the formation from the tunnel at the Ennis end was filled-in/landscaped a long time ago.

Some of the old route is due to become a Greenway, which basically means it will never see a railway again.

Archived