RMweb

Christleton Junction - 1986 - Gateway to North Wales

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, 61656 said:

Sanding them down is a bit of a pain, but I think it’s worth the effort. Probably more important is getting the roof to be matt instead of the out of the box satin. 

We'll have to agree to disagree!

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

We'll have to agree to disagree!

Does internet protocol allow that? I thought we had to set up different political parties, send abusive memes and crash the economy?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I don’t often buy the Railway Modeller, but I had a couple of hours to kill and this month’s has an 80’s EMU on the cover. 

Some great features this month alongside the EMU, including a trophy for 5barVT (but I note he managed to miss the photo call) and very interesting article on an Automatic Bobby, or interlocking as I would call it. 

I was again somewhat frustrated to find that Bachmann think there’s a bigger market for a DC EMU in jaffa cake (Hastings line) livery at £550 than for some more blue and grey mk2fs. I mean really? I understand that manufacturers have to make things in batches now, but actually getting hold of blue and grey era models is infuriating. Perhaps Warley and Hattons would have survived if they’d just been selling some blue and grey coaches instead of increasingly obscure and expensive oddballs. 

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

16 minutes ago, 61656 said:

I don’t often buy the Railway Modeller, but I had a couple of hours to kill and this month’s has an 80’s EMU on the cover. 

Some great features this month alongside the EMU, including a trophy for 5barVT (but I note he managed to miss the photo call) and very interesting article on an Automatic Bobby, or interlocking as I would call it. 

I was again somewhat frustrated to find that Bachmann think there’s a bigger market for a DC EMU in jaffa cake (Hastings line) livery at £550 than for some more blue and grey mk2fs. I mean really? I understand that manufacturers have to make things in batches now, but actually getting hold of blue and grey era models is infuriating. Perhaps Warley and Hattons would have survived if they’d just been selling some blue and grey coaches instead of increasingly obscure and expensive oddballs. 

You would really think that Blue-Grey Mk1s and Mk2s would be the kind of things that should be always available and would be an obvious entry point for new modellers, but the pricing of them cant really help either with new releases being £65-£70 each. Perhaps the batch sizes have gotten smaller and that has increased prices, but it still looks exceptionally poor value compared to other coaches that are available.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, GordonC said:

You would really think that Blue-Grey Mk1s and Mk2s would be the kind of things that should be always available and would be an obvious entry point for new modellers, but the pricing of them cant really help either with new releases being £65-£70 each. Perhaps the batch sizes have gotten smaller and that has increased prices, but it still looks exceptionally poor value compared to other coaches that are available.

I don’t even mind the £65 for a coach. I just wish you could buy one. If you go to any model shop it’s incredibly rare to be able to buy some 1980’s period stock, unless you want really obscure things. 

As far as I can work out there must be a lot of people hauling cement trucks and inspection saloons with 8 car DC EMUs 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Hauling freight with dc EMUs? How very Swiss!

The other 'Train de Chocolat'

That does look representative of what’s available to buy at the moment. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, 61656 said:

including a trophy for 5barVT (but I note he managed to miss the photo call)

I was only there on the Saturday!  And anyway, I’m only a late comer to the Newhaven Harbour team, although I do rather enjoy being Harbour signalman.

Paul.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GordonC said:

You would really think that Blue-Grey Mk1s and Mk2s would be the kind of things that should be always available and would be an obvious entry point for new modellers,

Strangely it's probably easier to buy a Lima or Mainline Mk1 or Mk2 in blue/grey. I picked up a Lima Mk1 SK from Rails of Sheffield pre-owned January sale. Yes, they need some work to 'improve' their appearance but that's what modelling is for.

Ian

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 61656 said:

I don’t even mind the £65 for a coach. I just wish you could buy one. If you go to any model shop it’s incredibly rare to be able to buy some 1980’s period stock, unless you want really obscure things. 

As far as I can work out there must be a lot of people hauling cement trucks and inspection saloons with 8 car DC EMUs 

If the quality is right I dont mind paying £65 a coach - but Bachmann Mk1 and (early) Mk2s aren't at that quality. Mk2Fs are. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

With all the ribbed mk1s now dealt with, there’s a couple more weathering jobs I want to do before turning my focus to the track (and getting some trains running again, which I’m sorely missing). 

Bachmann 47 436 was one of my first acquisitions. A large logo 47 is essential, and as we’ve just been discussing, you can’t turn one down when it’s available. Unfortunately the ETH jumper is in the wrong place, and more problematic, it was banger blue until 1987. For recent joiners, I like everything to be correct for September 1986, plus or minus a month or two. 

Lots of 47s were in large logo blue by late 86, but not many with this style of battery box, and none with the lower ETH jumper. 

IMG_4862.jpeg.a5becd4565fc3d4dac03f7f2cbb863ef.jpeg

Getting ready for its new identity, the last two digits have been removed (using a plastic scraper), the ETH jumpers removed and the axle box covers painted white. My chosen loco had distinctive yellow timken covers in 86, so the white is just undercoat as the yellow would take too many coats on the black. 

I really do like the Bachmann 47 in this livery, I think it really captures the prototype. I’m going to try really hard not to spanner this up!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

I was only there on the Saturday!  And anyway, I’m only a late comer to the Newhaven Harbour team, although I do rather enjoy being Harbour signalman.

Paul.

The photo call was probably while you were yakking away at demo stand D42.

• Funny 1

I came across your railway whilst looking at the 'Layout Topics' page over my Christmas break. I started looking at the then current page but soon realised I needed to go backwards to get the full picture. Which is when I ended up at Page 1. . . . .

Love the entire concept and the development of the prototype timetable to accommodate Christleton Junction. A thoroughly enjoyable read. A shame you (and so many others) have lost the pictures earlier on in The Great Crash. Have hit 'Follow' and see I've taken this topic to 100 followers. 

Very much looking forward to seeing your further progress.

Ps. Our layouts have a few things in common: station on a curve, elevated tracks, so interesting bits/ inspiration picked up on the way through.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I found myself in one of those dips in enthusiasm. This is usually caused by taking on too ambitious a project and ignoring all the advice of others. 

In this case, having the railway inoperable for so long was my biggest mistake, combined with trying to couple and uncouple Kadees on a curve. 

Two things snapped me back to full attention. Firstly, the post by Fishplate above (separate reply on its way), and second, this great photo I found on Facebook. Credit is to David Singleton and the photo is used with his permission. The group is called the Glory Days of Electrics, and I can lose myself for hours reading the comments, in this case on the use of Wembley B sets. Secondary rakes of coaches for various lower tier services, including Holyhead boat trains and relief services. 

image.png.3f2971cb0a04c0806e14c44ba2cc5b55.png

Long suffering readers will recall I started work on my B set back in the Victorian age, with a mk2A repainted into intercity livery and a mk2z FK in blue and grey downgraded to second corridor. 

With the current weathering of my stock, I plan to do a bit more work to both the A and B set. The A set needs Bachmann to release more blue and grey mk2fs. Current ebay prices are bonkers. 

The B set could do with a couple of air cons as well. The use of an RMB in the photo is interesting. Having a couple of vehicles to switch in and out of sets is quite appealing. 

The photo has also awoken a long term interest I have of once more bending the trousers of time and reality to introduce a Holyhead to Scotland motorail service. My thinking is a short Holyhead to Christleton formation - GUV, GUV, FO, BFK, that joins a longer rake before heading north. Potentially this could be a West Midlands to Scotland service, or maybe something that starts at Christleton. I need to do some more research to get the working to merge closer with the actual reality. 

Meanwhile, back to getting trains running…a post on curvy kadees will be along soon. 

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Fishplate said:

I came across your railway whilst looking at the 'Layout Topics' page over my Christmas break. I started looking at the then current page but soon realised I needed to go backwards to get the full picture. Which is when I ended up at Page 1. . . . .

Love the entire concept and the development of the prototype timetable to accommodate Christleton Junction. A thoroughly enjoyable read. A shame you (and so many others) have lost the pictures earlier on in The Great Crash. Have hit 'Follow' and see I've taken this topic to 100 followers. 

Very much looking forward to seeing your further progress.

Ps. Our layouts have a few things in common: station on a curve, elevated tracks, so interesting bits/ inspiration picked up on the way through.

It’s always really good to receive such positive feedback. It makes the whole depths of despair worthwhile!

There is a prize for the 100th follower, but unfortunately it looks like someone has taken offence at one of my many modelling faux pas and cancelled their subscription to the internet, so you are currently squad number 99. 

I know a couple of people have gone back and restored photos, but that seems like a lot of work. I could do a compromise and rewrite the first page so that newcomers know where to start. The back story took a lot of working up, but it’s probably not obvious if you just dip in the middle. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 61656 said:

I found myself in one of those dips in enthusiasm. This is usually caused by taking on too ambitious a project and ignoring all the advice of others. 

In this case, having the railway inoperable for so long was my biggest mistake, combined with trying to couple and uncouple Kadees on a curve. 

Two things snapped me back to full attention. Firstly, the post by Fishplate above (separate reply on its way), and second, this great photo I found on Facebook. Credit is to David Singleton and the photo is used with his permission. The group is called the Glory Days of Electrics, and I can lose myself for hours reading the comments, in this case on the use of Wembley B sets. Secondary rakes of coaches for various lower tier services, including Holyhead boat trains and relief services. 

Long suffering readers will recall I started work on my B set back in the Victorian age, with a mk2A repainted into intercity livery and a mk2z FK in blue and grey downgraded to second corridor. 

With the current weathering of my stock, I plan to do a bit more work to both the A and B set. The A set needs Bachmann to release more blue and grey mk2fs. Current ebay prices are bonkers. 

The B set could do with a couple of air cons as well. The use of an RMB in the photo is interesting. Having a couple of vehicles to switch in and out of sets is quite appealing. 

The photo has also awoken a long term interest I have of once more bending the trousers of time and reality to introduce a Holyhead to Scotland motorail service. My thinking is a short Holyhead to Christleton formation - GUV, GUV, FO, BFK, that joins a longer rake before heading north. Potentially this could be a West Midlands to Scotland service, or maybe something that starts at Christleton. I need to do some more research to get the working to merge closer with the actual reality. 

Meanwhile, back to getting trains running…a post on curvy kadees will be along soon. 

Thats a great photo of a great era with the mixed liveries

There doesn't seem to be many Blue and Grey Mk2Fs on ebay at all other than BSO's and RFBs nevermind at bonkers prices. Having said that, the latest Bachmann Mk2Fs in other liveries aren't exactly cheap either

Motorails did serve Newton-le-Willows between Scotland and the South West, perhaps that could have been a joining point

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 61656 said:

It’s always really good to receive such positive feedback. It makes the whole depths of despair worthwhile!

One of the great things about RMWeb. I know various people I follow have 'mojo absences'  from time to time. Sometimes it's good to set one thing aside whilst it is being a pain and try something else. Letting the subconscious work on the set aside item can bring results I've found.

1 hour ago, 61656 said:

There is a prize for the 100th follower

Hurrah !

1 hour ago, 61656 said:

you are currently squad number 99. 

Defeat snatched from the jaws of victory. .  .. . 😀

1 hour ago, 61656 said:

I know a couple of people have gone back and restored photos, but that seems like a lot of work. I could do a compromise and rewrite the first page so that newcomers know where to start. The back story took a lot of working up, but it’s probably not obvious if you just dip in the middle. 

I was lucky. I was only a few pages in, so reinstating pics wasn't too difficult. Can understand it would be a big problem.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, scottystitch said:

I am follower number 100, and I claim my £5!!! (or whatever the prize may be...)

Best

Scott

You have to be there for 24 hours. 99 people now have unprecedented power!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, 61656 said:

You have to be there for 24 hours. 99 people now have unprecedented power!

Steward's enquiry! The goal posts have been moved!

I shall get some cardboard and write a stiff letter to my MP...

Edited by scottystitch
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, scottystitch said:

I am follower number 100

9 minutes ago, Fishplate said:

So am I. . . 

Must use the same software as the UK Rail seat reservation system.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, 61656 said:

Fallen into the same trap of having nothing moving for too long.

5 hours ago, 61656 said:

Credit is to David Singleton and the photo is used with his permission.

I recognise those trees!  Wouldn’t care to say how many times I’ve viewed them over thirty years.

5 hours ago, 61656 said:

Interested to see curvy Kadees.  I’ve managed to keep most of mine on straight to do what I need (I hope).  I do have some to add on 5’ radius curves when I get further on.

Paul.

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Interested to see curvy Kadees.  I’ve managed to keep most of mine on straight to do what I need (I hope).  I do have some to add on 5’ radius curves when I get further on.

Paul.

I have found a useful rule of thumb:

For coupling, the radius should be at least 4 x the longer vehicle length. 
For uncoupling, the radius should be 5 times. 

A 5’ radius (1500mm to a proper engineer) should be at least 5 times your longest vehicle. 

I have a 600mm radius curve to deal with. This means for uncoupling the longest vehicle can be 120mm. My hope is that if I bogie mount the Kadees I will get away with it. The loco couplings are already bogie mounted, so it is actually just 3 BGs that need modified bogies. 

I’m planning a curved test plank to confirm this. But before then… run some trains. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, GordonC said:

Thats a great photo of a great era with the mixed liveries

There doesn't seem to be many Blue and Grey Mk2Fs on ebay at all other than BSO's and RFBs nevermind at bonkers prices. Having said that, the latest Bachmann Mk2Fs in other liveries aren't exactly cheap either

Motorails did serve Newton-le-Willows between Scotland and the South West, perhaps that could have been a joining point

It took me a long time to find the working time tables for Chester, so I’ve not really tried for the Crewe to Warrington table, but I do think it would be fascinating. With Christleton forming a West Coast loop, rather than the triangle that Chester provides, the services that could be routed this way are mouth watering. Unfortunately they are also fiddle yard demanding…

But a motorail shuttle to Holyhead is very appealing. I have also found that at Glasgow they briefly attached a flat wagon to allow side platform loading of cars into the ends of the GUVs. Right up my street.