DCC controllers any recommendations

colinjamesporter

I would try one first and see if you can get on with it okay, too much MS FlightSim like for me with having to remember all the keyboard functions. Can't beat a Multimaus in my opinion for ease of operating a layout which probably explains why most people I know with a Lenz system exhibit usually using a Multimaus.

I use a MultiMaus with my own Lenz 100 system, BUT the problem I find is that it's not much use with multi-function sound locos, as you can only access F0 - F12 with it.- regardless of what firmware it uses.  The Lenz also has the ability to have a non-latching option available on ALL 28 F keys.

But as you suggested, always best to try it, to see it it suits, before parting with the cash.

Thanks for all the suggestions. After having a good look at all the various control systems that have been suggested here I am leaning towards the NCE Powercab system. To start with I want one handset and a programming track. Is it easy enough to set up as u understand you have to buy a module for the programming track.

Best wishes

Colin

• RMweb Premium

If you buy the Powercab starter system, you'll get everything you need in the box to do what you want.  It's easy to set up - you'll connect the handset to the track via a plug-in PCP panel (supplied) .  I in fact bought an extra panel (£15.70 from Digitrains, other retailers also supply them) so that I could have one for the layout and one for the programming track, which is separate from the layout. I usually have the handset plugged into the layout panel, but if i want to use the programming track i just unplug the handset from the layout and plug it into the identical panel on the programming track.

One thing that you do not seem to have mentioned is how many locos you intend to have running, ie actually moving, not sitting idling, at any one time.  As it's only a 2-amp system, the Powercab won't manage more than about four 00 locos moving at the same time (you can of course have a lot more locos than that just sitting on the layout).  On my small layout I seldom have more than two locos running at once and I have been very pleased with the Powercab.

DT

If you buy the Powercab starter system, you'll get everything you need in the box to do what you want.  It's easy to set up - you'll connect the handset to the track via a plug-in PCP panel (supplied) .  I in fact bought an extra panel (£15.70 from Digitrains, other retailers also supply them) so that I could have one for the layout and one for the programming track, which is separate from the layout. I usually have the handset plugged into the layout panel, but if i want to use the programming track i just unplug the handset from the layout and plug it into the identical panel on the programming track.

One thing that you do not seem to have mentioned is how many locos you intend to have running, ie actually moving, not sitting idling, at any one time.  As it's only a 2-amp system, the Powercab won't manage more than about four 00 locos moving at the same time (you can of course have a lot more locos than that just sitting on the layout).  On my small layout I seldom have more than two locos running at once and I have been very pleased with the Powercab.

DT

Hi,

The info is very useful. My system is on an 00 gauge layout and I'm only going to be running two locos at a time normally to start with maybe three if on trains got double headed locos (is it easy to consist on powercab? I have a programming track in the same baseboard bit split from the running lines and sifkngs.

Best wishes

Colin

• RMweb Premium

I'm afraid that like you I'm a bit of a novice with DCC and tend not to take things any further than I need.  However, my understanding is that the Powercab should deal quite happily with three 00 locos.  I've never tried consists but there's quite a bit about them in the Powercab handbook and I assume that they'll be as easy from a Powercab as anything else but hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will be able to advise on that.  (NCE is an American system and consists are of course pretty common over there).  As for the programming track, as it's on the same baseboard as your layout I'd imagine that all you need is a DPDT switch rated at least 2 amps which you'd fit between the PCP panel and the tracks.  That would enable you to switch the power between the layout and the programming track - no need for a second PCP panel. 

DT

• 3 weeks later...

Archived