108 DMU Guards windows

Twright

Hello

I recently bought a Bachmann 108 DMU and noticed that the end of the Guards compartment there are windows either side of the corridor connection (I had noticed it on the real thing but hadn't questioned it at the time).

What were they used for? (apart from looking through) - propelling?, extra visiblity for the guard?

Seen here on the right on the DMBS but not on the DTCL on the left.

Thanks in advance

post-19880-0-92760600-1452433143_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

All modernisation plan short low density DMUs had these windows. It may be to allow the guard to observe the signals when traveling in the direction of the windows. Going the other way he could see trough the passenger saloons and the drivers windscreen. The guards were responsible well into the 1960s to observe the signals, and I believe apply the brake if the driver did not. On LMS and LNER coaches the guards had a ducket to view the signals. On SR and BR stock he had periscopes.

All modernisation plan short low density DMUs had these windows. It may be to allow the guard to observe the signals when traveling in the direction of the windows. Going the other way he could see trough the passenger saloons and the drivers windscreen. The guards were responsible well into the 1960s to observe the signals, and I believe apply the brake if the driver did not. On LMS and LNER coaches the guards had a ducket to view the signals. On SR and BR stock he had periscopes.

Many thanks, that makes sense.

Archived