Mercian Models

Down_Under

Has anyone else had issues with missing parts from their 4mm kits ordered in the last year? If so, were these issues resolved? If so how?

I have purchased 5 industrial kits during the past year, and 3/5 have had missing parts, and in some cases contained extra parts.

OX1 Peckett Kit - missing all castings, a few etches and sent the wrong saddle tank wrapper.

16" Barclay (prewar) - missing several castings - cross heads, and springs. Missing foot plate/running plate etch, cylinder etch brake block etch. Bizarrely came with 5 chimneys, and extra cab (in brass) and buffer beam etches.

16" Barclay (postwar) - missing half the white metal saddle tank (does come with etched saddle wrapper), brake block etches and numerous castings. Again, also include 2 extra chassis, and half an extra cab.

Also have a Class 14 and a 55050 Class, haven't really delved into these yet. I've emailed Trevor numerous times with pictures and listed what I think is missing, and the usual response is/was "I'll send with the next kit", or "be in the post next week". I understand that he was overwhelmed with the response to only batch produce kits. Last few emails have gone unanswered. Is all OK? Are they still trading? Have I been unlucky, or is this normal experience to get a kit with major components missing? Any suggestions as to follow up (bearing in mind I'm in Austalia).

Cheers, James

Cheers Mozzer,

I mean it's not all bad, I've now enough bits to almost build 4 Barclays from 2 kits, given access to castings. But I've still left with 3 kits that in current state of affairs can't be finished without some significant scratch building. I'm grateful for the part San s kits that Trevor suppliers, as it is currently out of my skill range to design kits (working on it). It's frustrating.

James

• 1 year later...

Has anyone had a response from Trevor? I've been trying for the past 2 years to get a response and nothing. Still got 5 kits all missing parts from all the castings to foot plate and cylinder etches. Does he attend exhibitions? My only contact is email or phone as I'm in either Guyana or Australia. And I get zero response.

I know that he's discontinuing the 4mm stuff and the website does periodically change - so someone is home, but no response by email or phone.

J

• 1 year later...

Having same troubles now.  Website contact form leads nowhere.  You wonder why small suppliers go out of business.  I did have an email MercianModels@freenetname.co.uk  but that is dead too.

Because they have the temerity not to have an IT department?

I spoke to Trevor at Reading show a month ago. His computer and backups were destroyed in a massive hacking attack. He's lost access to the website, probably the e-mail along with lots of the records including drawings. For a one-man-band, this is a huge problem and not one he's going to be able to recover from quickly. 

As with most small suppliers, a telephone call will normally resolve matters.

I've had some e-mail conversations go missing. But I've never had a problem reaching Trevor by phone. Have generally called by phone as I find a I get a quicker response that way. e.g - called Trevor last month to arrange for an updated J94 chassis. Pleasant conversation, was told that I'd have to wait for a new etch to be ordered from the etchers and that it would be sent out a few weeks later. Three weeks after phone call, a nice crisp chassis etch was duly received in the mail. And I'm in the US. Can't argue with that for service.

Nice guy to do business with.Need to order one of those Victor / Vulcan Bagnall tanks at some point.......