Model Rail 218 February 2016. Published 14 January.

dibber25

Yes, indeed, Edwardian, with the clean lines of the English outline locomotives and the colourful pre-Grouping-style liveries, the railways of the Raj had plenty of Edwardian elegance. 

Paul/Dzine, many thanks for your kind and continued interest.  As a result of seeking advice from the BRM community (freely and helpfully given) in other parts of the forum, I am tending towards the rather challenging (for me) conclusion that I would like to attempt Indian Broad Gauge in 4mm scale for this project.  As a result of this, and the relative paucity of information readily available regarding the subject, I think this will be a very slow burner, but I am persuaded to go ahead.

I think that I would cheat to the extent of adopting the 3" narrower Irish Broad gauge on the basis of some limited trade support for 21mm track. It is no worse, in fact not so bad, as the OO gauge compromise, though a little worse than the EM compromise(!).  If a metre gauge feeder line can be fitted in, I guess this would use 12mm track.  

I will try to adopt the essential elements of the film and your layout designs and attempt to weave from them a fictionalised version of the NWF in the Edwardian period in which the film is set. I like pre-Grouping UK railways, so there is another influence there. So, when I have cogitated a bit more, I might float the plan via a layout topic, and, if there is any progress, you will be able to follow it there!

I assume that the red trim is a reference to the Queen's Own Corps of Guides, who famously defended the Kabul Legation in the lead up to the Second Afghan War (1879).  Think Ben Cross in the Far Pavillions.  It was a mixed infantry and cavalry unit.  I had always assumed Captain Scott and his troopers are Guides.  Notice that in the early scenes (e.g. at the Governor's Residence, he is wearing a cavalry tunic, with chain mail etc).

post-28604-0-67957300-1456578270.jpg

post-28604-0-34856100-1456578847.jpg

Yes, indeed, Edwardian, with the clean lines of the English outline locomotives and the colourful pre-Grouping-style liveries, the railways of the Raj had plenty of Edwardian elegance. 

Paul/Dzine, many thanks for your kind and continued interest.  As a result of seeking advice from the BRM community (freely and helpfully given) in other parts of the forum, I am tending towards the rather challenging (for me) conclusion that I would like to attempt Indian Broad Gauge in 4mm scale for this project.  As a result of this, and the relative paucity of information readily available regarding the subject, I think this will be a very slow burner, but I am persuaded to go ahead.

I think that I would cheat to the extent of adopting the 3" narrower Irish Broad gauge on the basis of some limited trade support for 21mm track. It is no worse, in fact not so bad, as the OO gauge compromise, though a little worse than the EM compromise(!).  If a metre gauge feeder line can be fitted in, I guess this would use 12mm track.  

I will try to adopt the essential elements of the film and your layout designs and attempt to weave from them a fictionalised version of the NWF in the Edwardian period in which the film is set. I like pre-Grouping UK railways, so there is another influence there. So, when I have cogitated a bit more, I might float the plan via a layout topic, and, if there is any progress, you will be able to follow it there!

I assume that the red trim is a reference to the Queen's Own Corps of Guides, who famously defended the Kabul Legation in the lead up to the Second Afghan War (1879).  Think Ben Cross in the Far Pavillions.  It was a mixed infantry and cavalry unit.  I had always assumed Captain Scott and his troopers are Guides.  Notice that in the early scenes (e.g. at the Governor's Residence, he is wearing a cavalry tunic, with chain mail etc).

Hi Mad Carew,  There are quite a few uniform changes in the film and the cavalry attire is only used during the early horse chase sequence and arrival at Haserabad.  I think further on, especially the escape train departure, uniforms have a red trim....but can't be absolutely sure, will have a look at the film in a bit to check.  Kind regards Paul

Thanks, Paul.  The Guides were a long lived regiment.  Many of the uniform illustrations, like that above, are circa 1880, reflecting the involvement in the 2nd Afghan War, no doubt.

There would no doubt have been a number of changes over the ensuing 25 years.  I have yet to study the uniforms in the film and consider their accuracy.

I have started a thread in layout topics (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108687-north-west-frontier/&do=findComment&comment=2218944), so as to have a single place for my questions and musings.  I anticipate that I may well get stuck in the planning, and may well seek to enlist your help at some stage. 

Just done a preliminary skim through this issue. I think devoting so many pages to "North West Frontier" is not a very good use of those pages. I like "Hemyock", is the name board on the ground frame intended to be a conversation starter?

How about the figure standing in front of the "Groud Frame"?

Possibly to draw the viewers attention away from the name board?

Now I would say that this figure's clothing is a bit "modern", and surely most people "back then" wore hats?

Not to mention the figure's wrist watch....

So am I the only one to think that the figure in blue looks rather like the late former Lady Diana Spencer....Princess of Wales???

Time Travel????????

Archived