Prototype microlayout

Whilst working on an industrial site today. Photos unfortunately restricted but I may be able to get a few in over the next few days. I came across a prototype micro layout. The track emerges into view between a large storage tank and building which form a natural scenic break. A Y point forms 2 sidings, of a tanker loading facility. Each Siding I would guess hold 3 or 4 4 wheel tank wagons. Buffer stops are against another large storage tank. Looked incredibly model able. Oddly the tracks within the site are free of weeds where as the track beyond the sit boundary is 6ft deep in undergrowth. I'm guessing the tanks would have been propelled in by an 08, no run round or site shunting loco, probably left to discharge and the empties collected at a later date. Not the most inspiring operation, but it's practically a micro layout in 12inch to the foot let alone 00 or N.

Didn't think, Zeon in Barry at the back of Dow Corning. Despite what the map indicates both sidings are the same length and the yellow tank is parked at the start of the loading gantry. The other sidings and track appear to have been out of use for much longer, they're probably more prominent in the satellite view than they are on the ground.

• RMweb Gold

Didn't think, Zeon in Barry at the back of Dow Corning. Despite what the map indicates both sidings are the same length and the yellow tank is parked at the start of the loading gantry. The other sidings and track appear to have been out of use for much longer, they're probably more prominent in the satellite view than they are on the ground.

this one? https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4068149,-3.2346094,131m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Although the slightly larger one the other side of the river looks to have a lot more operating potential https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4081206,-3.2368372,441a,20y,90h/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Andi

• RMweb Gold

Now that is an interesting site... thanks for bringing it to our attention. Does anyone one produce a model of the Trackmobile? I guess that could have served the smaller site also. Bing Maps 'birds eye' view also shows good detail of the site, but you'll probably have to find that for yourself, unless anyone knows how to get a specific link for the area.

Alan.

Just found a little more about the smaller site.

Apparently a single tanker would be delivered. "Much much bigger than the road tanker" . So maybe a bogie tanker, I'm assuming one left on site and when empty taken away with the delivery of a new one. Probably brought across Barry docks by the docks shunter from a speedlink or enterprise type service.

Archived