Class 66 frontal red lights flicker?

faa77

I think I know the answer to this, but I am just checking! Bought a used 66 Freightliner off ebay. Runs fine but whenever I start in either direction, the frontal cabin red lights flicker, along with the normal white lights on permanently. This happens in either direction of travel. The rear lights remain on, constantly and seem fine.

I have only just received this today, it was described as good condition and all lights work.

Should the red lights be flickering in the frontal cabin? I am guessing not?

Running on DC? Do the white lights also flicker on the trailing end?

If both answers are 'yes' then  Doctor diagnoses Collectus Interruptus. Momentary loss of track power, means that the supply on the board reverses polarity as the motor acts as a generator, therefore the lights appropriate to the reverse direction of running flash on briefly. Check the tyres are clean, adjust pick up wipers so that all make positive contact with the wheelback, check for good attachment - preferably solder up - all pick up connections to the board, and all should be well.

• RMweb Gold

You are on DC? The lights flicker on when the loco loses contact with the track for a moment, at that point the motor becomes a generator creating voltage that is the opposite polarity to the track voltage, this is what lights the "wrong" set of lights. Cleaning your track and the loco wheels will help a little.

I am on DC. The front white lights and the rear red lights do not flicker, they are constantly on (as expected). However, in addition to the white lights at the front, I also have the red lights (on the front cabin) flickering, like once every 2 seconds.

EDIT: I have bought brand-new track to test this loco.

• RMweb Gold

I am on DC. The front white lights and the rear red lights do not flicker, they are constantly on (as expected). However, in addition to the white lights at the front, I also have the red lights (on the front cabin) flickering, like once every 2 seconds.

EDIT: I have bought brand-new track to test this loco.

The white REAR lights will flicker at the same time as the red front ones.

Andi

The white REAR lights will flicker at the same time as the red front ones.

Andi

Ever ever ever so rarely, but yes I did see the rear white lights on momentarily.

How serious is this problem? What do I need to clean wheels?

EDIT: The wheels aren't very dirty.

• RMweb Gold

The problem is not serious at all, there is nothing actually wrong, it is just a phenomenon of LEDs and motors. It will not do any damage to anything, it is just annoying to the viewer.

Andi

Archived