• RMweb Premium

Mrs. NR read from the paper this morning that there’s more likelihood of it snowing at Easter rather than Christmas, and Routier du Nord is back from his trip to Norfolk muttering about “un singe en laiton”, so a good time to be modelling, rather than bank holidaying. This morning I wrapped up the machinery wagon job. The wagon itself don’t look much on its own, rather plain, but it can be teamed up with some attractive loads, so it’s gained a furniture pantechnicon. This is a kit from Duncan Models, and as they do useful bits and bobs in 7mm, well deserving a link:http://www.duncanmodels.co.uk/

post-26540-0-50281800-1522673657_thumb.jpeg

Don’t be fooled by the “rope” lashing, it’s actually held down by brass rods behind each wheel, hooked over the axle, and passing through the wagon floor to soldered washers. Looking at it, it seems very high, so I’ve checked against a plastikard loading guage I’ve made to check bridge and platform clearances, and it is an exact fit to guage, at that height it couldn’t any wider, so the loads inspector has to make sure it’s dead central. You’ll appreciate too that it’s an exact fit on the wagon for length, it has an overhang as it is, but that’s what the LBSC had to use for this traffic. The kit comes with placard boards which fix along the edge of the roof, but these are out of gauge for a rail trip, so I suppose they’re stowed inside the van, along with the shaft to harness the horses to.

post-26540-0-67844200-1522674210_thumb.jpeg

Here’s what it looks like in a train with a wagon and a van, breaking up the skyline somewhat:

post-26540-0-45891700-1522674355_thumb.jpeg

Bishops had their depot just over the wall from the country end of Victoria station, so it’s a safe bet that the LBSC would see plenty of trade then. You can still see their furniture movers, they’re now trading as “Bishop’s Move”, large white vans with a flowing blue chessboard and a red bishop chess piece, but any railway association has long gone.

• Like 9

That is really good. Really, really good.

I think that Bishops and the LBSCR had some sort of symbiotic relationship, because old photos show a lot of Bishops adverts on LBSCR stations.

The container, as opposed to the pantechnicon, in the below is a natural for Coarse 0, using one of those Hornby wooden blocks.

Which software package do people favour for making paper overlays? I’m generally software-phobic outside of work, so am not well up on anything vaguely ‘graphic’ other than PowerPoint, which I struggle to ‘scale’ for modelling use.

Kevin

post-26817-0-81616500-1522676498_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Premium

Mrs. NR read from the paper this morning that there’s more likelihood of it snowing at Easter rather than Christmas, and Routier du Nord is back from his trip to Norfolk muttering about “un singe en laiton”, so a good time to be modelling, rather than bank holidaying. This morning I wrapped up the machinery wagon job. The wagon itself don’t look much on its own, rather plain, but it can be teamed up with some attractive loads, so it’s gained a furniture pantechnicon. This is a kit from Duncan Models, and as they do useful bits and bobs in 7mm, well deserving a link:http://www.duncanmodels.co.uk/

attachicon.gif9A7B7642-5F1C-4E09-AB8E-81FDBA75F104.jpeg

Don’t be fooled by the “rope” lashing, it’s actually held down by brass rods behind each wheel, hooked over the axle, and passing through the wagon floor to soldered washers. Looking at it, it seems very high, so I’ve checked against a plastikard loading guage I’ve made to check bridge and platform clearances, and it is an exact fit to guage, at that height it couldn’t any wider, so the loads inspector has to make sure it’s dead central. You’ll appreciate too that it’s an exact fit on the wagon for length, it has an overhang as it is, but that’s what the LBSC had to use for this traffic. The kit comes with placard boards which fix along the edge of the roof, but these are out of gauge for a rail trip, so I suppose they’re stowed inside the van, along with the shaft to harness the horses to.

attachicon.gif932F8A4E-E0C9-43EB-B505-B61CD72627AE.jpeg

Here’s what it looks like in a train with a wagon and a van, breaking up the skyline somewhat:

attachicon.gif2C8B0556-C0F6-4E3C-9BBD-15EDDC6C1607.jpeg

Bishops had their depot just over the wall from the country end of Victoria station, so it’s a safe bet that the LBSC would see plenty of trade then. You can still see their furniture movers, they’re now trading as “Bishop’s Move”, large white vans with a flowing blue chessboard and a red bishop chess piece, but any railway association has long gone.

The machinery wagon with its furniture pantechnicon load is lovely nice and the pantechnicon itself is seriously nice.  Did you hand paint all the lettering yourself? - because if you did I am very seriously impressed.

• RMweb Premium

Which software package do people favour for making paper overlays? I’m generally software-phobic outside of work, so am not well up on anything vaguely ‘graphic’ other than PowerPoint, which I struggle to ‘scale’ for modelling use.

I use Paint.NET for just about everything I do Kevin.  It's completely free and can be downloaded from their website.

attachicon.gif9A7B7642-5F1C-4E09-AB8E-81FDBA75F104.jpeg

attachicon.gif932F8A4E-E0C9-43EB-B505-B61CD72627AE.jpeg

attachicon.gif2C8B0556-C0F6-4E3C-9BBD-15EDDC6C1607.jpeg

Oh that is magnificent.

Beautiful, not to say skilful, modelling, and a great subject.

I have a bit of a thing for these pantechnicans.  I wanted one for my mid-thirties project, would you believe, having seen one loaded on a wagon at the head of a passenger train behind, IIRC, a Great Western 4-6-0.

They are a must, however, for the pre-Grouper!

Lovely to see.

The machinery wagon with its furniture pantechnicon load is lovely nice and the pantechnicon itself is seriously nice.  Did you hand paint all the lettering yourself? - because if you did I am very seriously impressed.

This is my version on a GE lowmac.  The pantechnicon is a Shire Scenes kit.

post-25077-0-71523900-1522679460_thumb.jpg

The paper overlays with the lettering were done with Auto CAD.  The owning company is fictional, being named after a fellow 2fs modeller.  The siding it is sitting on will eventually have an end loading facility.

Edited to add that the body of the pantechnicon was painted white and the paper overlays cut to fit into each panel.

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I hand paint the lettering, but it takes several goes, straightening uprights, making all the levels the same, a blobby Corner squared here, a larger “hole” made there, and thickening up here and there, alternating main letter colour, shading colour, background colour, just going round and round. If you get close with a magnifying glass, you’d pick out a mass of little blobs everywhere.

I used to use photoshop a lot, which would do this sort of thing quite well, but then you can get me started on printers.. I always found my printed jobs would have the ink fade quickly, especially reds. More recently I cover everything like that, such as brickpapers, with coats of varnish in a hope to slow the process down, but even commercial printing doesn’t seem to last forever, and I’m much happier putting enamel paint on. Then my printers head gave up, no matter how much cleaning cycles you give it, after a long life. So I’ve got a new printer, wireless, which is supposed to work in with this pad, it did for a time, but somethings stopped happening?? Technology, eh? so another reason for doing it by hand.

Thanks for the kind comments, folks. I do like the 2mm stuff you do, Jim, I could never manage anything that small.

• Like 1

If you get close with a magnifying glass, you’d pick out a mass of little blobs everywhere.

If you see anyone doing so, smack them!

It must have taken ages, and a steady hand and nerve, but it really looks the business.

• RMweb Premium

Bonjour, c’est la fete du Paques, and I find zere ees in festival du cyclisme at le Chateau d ‘Aking to wheech I must go,

ton ami, Routier du Nord

attachicon.gif941AACDD-7F33-488F-9009-DC68F286F5BD.jpeg

Reminded me of this:

https://img.discogs.com/bEoxttBP_SNiQB9TXhAQM6qVysw=/fit-in/600x600/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-638847-1510232688-8498.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now looking at the attached picture, you’ll see there’s a lot of work I should be getting on with, but I was burbling on about scenic backgrounds a couple of months ago, so I thought I’d show where I’m going to on that, now that if got the hardboard back support all ready. This is nice and smooth with rounded corners, having square corners would never do. (One of my pet no noes) The dimensions I need to cover with the scene is 84” x 15” (2130 x 380) what I’ve got is a scene from an old line I did a few years back which is 52” x 11” (1320 x 280) Now, really I suppose I should start with a fresh piece the right size, but it’s a shame to waste, paper is expensive, stocks are low, I’m idle, excuse, excuse, and so I’m thinking of reworking this one.

I use cartridge paper from an art suppliers, which comes in a big roll, dear, but plenty of it. Generally I cut it down the middle to get two equal strips, which determines the height of the scene, although with a bigger layout more height in proportion would look better. I just clip it in place with small homemade brass clips which I paint to try and match where they go.

When I first tried doing backscenes I tried to do it as a one off complete scene, but with chops and changes I find making a patchwork quilt works well, particularly where dimensions change as here. Also there are usually foreground buildings painted flat which need to be tailored to fit so they appear between the actual buildings for the layout, you’ll see the foreground in this scene is rather empty because of this. Then there’s also a need to get the levels right behind the road overbridge.

I’m trying to give an impression of where the South Downs meets the sea, something like if Birling was more of a gap, or if Alfriston was shoved down to nearer Cuckmere Haven. It wouldn’t be at all a commercial proposition from a railway point of view, but it would be nice to step down from the train into this setting?post-26540-0-61996300-1523474456_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

A good evocation of an area that I know well.

You know that a light railway was projected to run down the valley, then up towards East Dean, and by tunnel to Birling Gap, which was to become a sort of new town? http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/8fcf6125-3f05-4f65-b829-909f96456d9b

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, I didn’t know that, it would be a lovely run, I just know round there from walks. (South Downs, Vanguard, Wealdway, 1066) wonder if the tunnel would be series, sort of rabbitwarren popping in and out along the Seven Sisters? Ruskin would have really loved that!

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 1

Not so picturesque, I'm afraid. The line was to go up to Friston, then burrow horizontally, to pop-out in the upper part of the gap. I've never seen the draft LRO, but wonder if it was meant to be electrically worked, because the gradient would have been fairly stiff.

We used to visit the area a lot by bus, bike, or walking, when we were in our teens, it being about 20 miles from home, and one of my brothers used to have an obsession with catching mullet, which 'run' in the cuckmere estuary at a certain time of year. He and his family now live in Eastbourne, just where houses give way to the Downs, and the Southdowns Way runs right by his house, so you've probably seen it!

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A good evocation of an area that I know well.

You know that a light railway was projected to run down the valley, then up towards East Dean, and by tunnel to Birling Gap, which was to become a sort of new town? http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/8fcf6125-3f05-4f65-b829-909f96456d9b

Kevin

I thought that was a joke until I read the link!

A model of a station at Cuckmere Haven, with the Seven Sisters stretching away in the distance, would look lovely.

• Like 1

It gets worse. See here for further details of the desecration of the countryside that was planned. http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/h/94416fbb-0f7d-445e-b1f9-0e413bac468d

How they got this lot past Sherlock Holmes, who had of course moved to the area upon his retirement, I have no idea. Perhaps they didn't, so that we may find a letter objecting on the grounds of damage done to the habitat of bees.

• RMweb Premium

I thought that was a joke until I read the link!

A model of a station at Cuckmere Haven, with the Seven Sisters stretching away in the distance, would look lovely.

The backscene would have a very “chocolate box lid” look to it, but here you are, just fill in the railway in front of the cottages.

post-26540-0-49427800-1523538583_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5