• RMweb Premium

That's so old, even I don't know it... :)

All right, just for you (and if I get banned it's your fault):

The vicar is getting ready to speak to the local Women's Institute on the subject of s*x. Just as he is about to leave, his wife asks him what he is going to speak about. Being a little shy he tells her the subject is sailing.

He gives his speech, which goes down very well.

A couple of days later the vicar's wife is shopping in the village and is surprised by how many women congratulate her on her husband's speech. Eventually she bumps into the chair of the WI who is also extremely complimentary about the speech.

The vicar's wife replies "I must confess I'm surprised it went down so well because he's only done it three times. The first time he was sick, the second he got caught up in the sheets and the third time his hat blew off."

• Funny 1

While I’m singing the praises of S.R.Badmin, I did an “enquiry”, followed by an “images”. Really nice stuff, his main work was as a book illustrator, and I was reminded of a lot of books, particularly the Puffins, when I was young. There’s the carriage print I’ve shown in part, here’s a railway poster I haven’t seen before, his work on buildings was exemplary:

attachicon.gif417129A3-E893-40FD-A3F2-E33B4F68D4DE.jpeg

Thats a nice poster.  I've a photo somewhere, taken from the same spot looking up Bridge Street to St Peters church.  Sadly the picturesque old traffic is now long gone, and my photo contains a troupe of Morris Dancers....

(Forgot to say, the pinnacles to the left and behind St Peters belong to the Town Hall, opposite the Cathedral!)

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

All right, just for you (and if I get banned it's your fault):

The vicar is getting ready to speak to the local Women's Institute on the subject of s*x. Just as he is about to leave, his wife asks him what he is going to speak about. Being a little shy he tells her the subject is sailing.

He gives his speech, which goes down very well.

A couple of days later the vicar's wife is shopping in the village and is surprised by how many women congratulate her on her husband's speech. Eventually she bumps into the chair of the WI who is also extremely complimentary about the speech.

The vicar's wife replies "I must confess I'm surprised it went down so well because he's only done it three times. The first time he was sick, the second he got caught up in the sheets and the third time his hat blew off."

Ah.

Thank you.

I will revise my previous statement.

That joke's so old, I'd forgotten it.

• RMweb Premium

Niiiiiiiiiiiice!!!!!

Round here, the question is* "did she get off at Edge Hill"?

* Was, was a long time ago.....

Same idea down here - getting off at Redfern.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I’ve put the backscene into place now, as it’s got a nice flat hardboard sheet behind it, with curved corners. Once the cartridge paper has been painted on, it becomes quite stiff, and lies flat, although you can go over it with a hot iron, if it’s ruckled. If there is a tendency to sag, you can always stiffen it with another strip glued on behind. The bottom edge just tucks down behind platforms and so on, then the top edge is just clipped on to the hardboard using a few small brass clips, painted pale blue grey. (You can just pick them out in the photo, hope they don’t strike you as too obtrusive, one way to avoid this would be to have something like Velcro strips hanging over the back) I don’t glue the scenes to the back support, as I want to change them, just like a theatre does. Here’s a shot of the warehouse corner, and I hope you’ll agree it bears out my contention that a model layout needs a backscene as much as a loco.post-26540-0-95448500-1527791494_thumb.jpeg

There’s a permanent platform made now for the warehouse to fit on, wood strips and ply, with some kirtleypete brickpaper and stone setts done in a redutex sheet. It being halfterm, the granddaughters came yesterday, and senior one in a creative fit put in a small tree and a patch of green scatter for grass at the back of this platform. I missed this happening, I was watching junior g.d. running trains happily on my American Line, except little people were either having a ride or placed on the track for the Atlas switcher to run over. I love ‘em to bits, but sometimes... anyway, after they’d gone I found what had happened on the platform, and cleared it up, except the glue she used does react with redutex sheet! Still, it’s only a little patch. The warehouse went into place, and I found the hoist housing needed to be chamfered back to clear van roofs. I do like the appearance of these housings, they make the building look much more interesting. Then the warehouse has gained a roof, so it’s now finished. Now on to work on the station end.

• Like 14

Blooming lovely!

The curve in the back scene really works, too.

It genuinely does become difficult to believe that the layout is what? Not much more than a foot wide?

Lucam. That is what those sticky-out bits over sack-hoists on mills and warehouses are called. Similar to Lucan, but less likely to disappear.

K

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The main board is sized at 60” x 16”, (1525 x 410) one piece, no joins, and the fiddle yard is 41.5” x 21” (1050 x 530) which has just four cassettes on, plus a lot of space, not strictly necessary, used as a dumping ground. Remember we’re talking 0 gauge, I wouldn’t advise anything smaller. Highly flattered if you do nick it, always assuming you work out where it’s gone recently???

• RMweb Premium

Well, it depends, I want to run a line that has trains in sets, passenger and goods, even if very restricted, and there’s a bit of scope for shunting, but not much, but that’s what floats my boat. You can do a line where you can just shuffle wagons around in a gentle relaxing session, that are around half the length of mine. Jordan’s layout, Lyddlow Goods, is a good example.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/129574-smallest-o-gauge-layout-possible-with-operating-potential/page-1&do=findComment&comment=2980080

That way you’re still modelling in 0 scale, and it’s just that I like the bulk. If you pick up an 0 gauge wagon and hold it, it’s a much more satisfying feel than 00. Though 0n16.5 ain’t bad, either.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Lucam. That is what those sticky-out bits over sack-hoists on mills and warehouses are called. Similar to Lucan, but less likely to disappear.

An elusive word nonetheless, apparently only known to brewery, mill or warehouse enthusiasts (and hence railway modellers). 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Blooming lovely!

The curve in the back scene really works, too.

It genuinely does become difficult to believe that the layout is what? Not much more than a foot wide?

K

Oh Lord!

I’ve put the backscene into place now, as it’s got a nice flat hardboard sheet behind it, with curved corners. Once the cartridge paper has been painted on, it becomes quite stiff, and lies flat, although you can go over it with a hot iron, if it’s ruckled. If there is a tendency to sag, you can always stiffen it with another strip glued on behind. The bottom edge just tucks down behind platforms and so on, then the top edge is just clipped on to the hardboard using a few small brass clips, painted pale blue grey. (You can just pick them out in the photo, hope they don’t strike you as too obtrusive, one way to avoid this would be to have something like Velcro strips hanging over the back) I don’t glue the scenes to the back support, as I want to change them, just like a theatre does. Here’s a shot of the warehouse corner, and I hope you’ll agree it bears out my contention that a model layout needs a backscene as much as a loco.attachicon.gifC28AC501-8E15-4CCB-B554-986D835AD752.jpeg

There’s a permanent platform made now for the warehouse to fit on, wood strips and ply, with some kirtleypete brickpaper and stone setts done in a redutex sheet. It being halfterm, the granddaughters came yesterday, and senior one in a creative fit put in a small tree and a patch of green scatter for grass at the back of this platform. I missed this happening, I was watching junior g.d. running trains happily on my American Line, except little people were either having a ride or placed on the track for the Atlas switcher to run over. I love ‘em to bits, but sometimes... anyway, after they’d gone I found what had happened on the platform, and cleared it up, except the glue she used does react with redutex sheet! Still, it’s only a little patch. The warehouse went into place, and I found the hoist housing needed to be chamfered back to clear van roofs. I do like the appearance of these housings, they make the building look much more interesting. Then the warehouse has gained a roof, so it’s now finished. Now on to work on the station end.

Beautiful.

I want to live there.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Very nice looks good. I do agree with you about Backscenes even a plain sky one will lift a layout a nicely painted scene like that does so much more.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif C28AC501-8E15-4CCB-B554-986D835AD752.jpeg

[snip] 

I do like the appearance of these housings, they make the building look much more interesting. Then the warehouse has gained a roof, so it’s now finished. Now on to work on the station end.

A lot of inspiration in that one photo! I notice the cupola on the warehouse. I have a thing for those, very nice. Not to mention the lucam - new word of the day for me (thanks Nearholmer).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Of course, Mikkel, there’s some nice cupolas on your stable block, another item to give interest to a building. By the way, how did/ does your house move go? I haven’t spotted anything in your posts about it, and I jut wondered how things are.

Then folks may notice I had to call in the services of Mr. O’Doolite to finish it off. Over a pint in the “Pantiles Inn” afterwards, he told me he was really glad I’d gone to him, rather than Hammersmith Cones, particularly as he felt he had the edge on them!

Boum! Boum!

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 1