• RMweb Premium

That’s Hilda, and she’s not st***, what a thing to say about such a fun loving woman. How could you.

Le mot du jour in these parts for ladies of a certain shape seems to be "curvy":

https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/fashion/the-hot-trend-in-swimwear-for-next-summer-bottoms-20180514-p4zf8m.html

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Gulp!

Edit: Did she get on at Paddington?

If so, do we get to see her bear? ;)

That’s Hilda, and she’s not st***, what a thing to say about such a fun loving woman. How could you.

“Oh, so you have to be fat to be stout now, do you?”

• RMweb Gold

Gentlemen,

Might I suggest that in this, as in so much else, it's better to Go Great Western ....

The like was for the GWR carriage of course. Nothing to do with the skimpily clad young lady. 

You know you are getting old when you see a young lady with a bare midriff and think god I bet she's felling chilly.

Don

• Like 1

You know you are getting old when you see a young lady with a bare midriff and think god I bet she's felling chilly.

Aye, an' she husnae got her seemit oan!

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Back earlier there was a suggestion that the Cuckmere valley might have benefited from a an early developer building a classy hotel etc. Beware. Aberystwyth had just such - Thomas Savin. But his resort never took off as intended and the hotel ended up as the home of the new University College Aberystwyth (now Aberystwyth University in its own right rather than part of the University of Wales). So the Cuckmere valley might have ended up full of impecunious students rather than affluent holidaymakers.

Mind you it is still standing and it is rather a nice building even if the University does not really have a use for it any more, having moved up the hill..

Drone-video-of-Aberystwyth-University-ol

Jonathan

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Mind you it is still standing and it is rather a nice building even if the University does not really have a use for it any more, having moved up the hill..

It looks as if it might house the darker arts. A friend of mine, after a theology degree, went on to do a Dip. Inf. Studies at Aberystwyth - led to some comments about seeing both sides of the question.

• RMweb Premium

I’m really pleased that the Cuckmere area has miraculously avoided “development”. It seems Aberystwyth has kept some semblance of a holiday resort, even if the university has become the dominant item there, and of course, there’s the Rhiedol railway. Thankfully the mid Walescoast isn’t within commuting distance of a major city.

• RMweb Premium

"Thankfully the mid Walescoast isn’t within commuting distance of a major city"

Which is a good reason for not having a railway to Cuckmere Haven!  Unless you want to run frequent commuter services on the layout.

Jonathan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As a Brummie, the world was your oyster, Rhyl, Barmouth, Weston SM, Yarmouth, who would want cheap air travel to Spain? Actually my branch is somewhere that looks a bit like that area of Sussex, but might really be in a pregroup Nirvana that will never know electric trains to London.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Mind you it is still standing and it is rather a nice building even if the University does not really have a use for it any more, having moved up the hill.

Wot, the whole University is inside that obelisk(?) in the right background?????

• RMweb Premium

Sooo.. I’m picking up the paintbrushes again. Taking up from last time, I find it best to limit it to around an hour, and then leave it, rather than fiddle round longer trying to improve it, and making a bigger mess. This session is finishing off jobs from last time, using a big brush to get a lighter, more even look to the fields, then a fine brush, trying to get the foliage to look a bit more “3D”. I do this by filling in darker patches of shadow, and lighter highlights, you can almost get away with pure lemon yellow where the suns on it. Preraphaelite features strongly around the CA consortium, and they suggest solid shapes with a lot of very fine detail using very small brushes, needing mucho time and patience. Me??? One fine brush job needed is to mix some pale blue and firm out the join in the skyline, which has little streaks of white paper despite the masking agent. Then rub off the masking agent, with a little bit more touching up. There we are.

post-26540-0-35927500-1526844679_thumb.jpeg

It’s about ready to go up, and then work out what buildings etc. need to go where. However, I do a finishing job which could be contentious. My old schools art teacher always used to push the idea that when you look at objects, they don’t have a line around them, they’re a solid form of colour, bad news if you watch kids doing drawings. I’ve reverted to putting a line around them, as much to help the 3D look. In doing this I’m drawing inspiration from another old railway artist, who was best known for the pictures above the seats and below the luggage racks in passenger compartments, rather than posters, namely S.R. Badmin. This helps in setting the scene back in time, I feel, and my fiercest art critic, Mrs.NR, approves. Here’s one of his jobs showing Welwyn Viaduct, really lovely, isn’t it? It’s watercolour, with a suggestion of a pen and ink sketch.

post-26540-0-31723300-1526845451_thumb.jpeg

The outline is drawn in, plus little squiggles on such things as trees, although I find it best to leave the sea and sky alone, just keep it on the ground. I use a uni pin fineline drawing pen, black with a 0.5mm tip. One thing I’ve found is that a painted pva surface is slightly rough, and so holding the pen I do trailing strokes, if you hold the pen pointing forwards, the point will give up the ghost before it runs out of ink. The other thing to look for in this example is how I’ve used masking agent to block out the fence and the buildings, then do the greeny bits, then erase the agent and paint in the fence and buildings, then line out. Sorry, it’s a bit of a comedown after looking at Badmin.

post-26540-0-36954700-1526846155_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

While I’m singing the praises of S.R.Badmin, I did an “enquiry”, followed by an “images”. Really nice stuff, his main work was as a book illustrator, and I was reminded of a lot of books, particularly the Puffins, when I was young. There’s the carriage print I’ve shown in part, here’s a railway poster I haven’t seen before, his work on buildings was exemplary:

post-26540-0-67390400-1526851942_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky ...

Very modest in his wants is Masefield, if you read on - tall ships don't come cheap.

As a line, it puts me in mind of Yeats sitting cross-legged in his Irish bog: I will arise and go now, and go to see if it's free...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Au contraire, you must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky ...

...I left my shoes and socks there.

I wonder if they’re dry?

Spike Milligan

• Like 4