Midford Goods Shed

• RMweb Gold

I am sure they exist but in all the years I have been peering at various books on the S&D I've never seen anything but photos of the end facing the tunnel.

One of the most elusive yet iconic structures on the S&DJR....

I am intrigued as you are Roger.

Rob.

By a remarkable coincidence, I had a phone call this afternoon from Mike Arlett  - now, if anyone would know, he ought to, in which case it would have been in one of his books.

He did suggest that perhaps there might be something on the "Bath In Time" website (www.bathintime.co.uk), as there are many views there of the station area, including some taken from across the valley. A quick glance did not reveal anything immediately, but then you may have more time to trawl through all the 'hits'.....:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Mike Arlett has now kindly sent me the following information:-

"I suggest the enquirer clicks on http://www.bathintime.co.uk/image/324021/view-of-midford-castle-c-1930s . Then enlarge the page to the max his pc will permit. That should provide a reasonable image of what was a very simple side elevation (east side - furthest from the rails).

Basically, this side of the shed was divided into three equal bays. Both outer bays were horizontally clad in timber boarding (as per cladding on the south side). The centre bay comprised a pair of plain sliding doors (hung on the inside from memory). The cill of the doors was at shed floor level (which corresponded with the cill level of the pedestrian access door on the south side), to make loading/unloading easier. Relying only on memory, the other side, nearest the rails, was exactly the same layout except there was a full length external loading platform (all timber construction) fixed to open cross-braced and framed timber supports. One end of this can be seen on most pics showing the south end of the shed."

Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived