50 minutes at Narbonne

Focalplane

Today I did one of my journeys from Birmingham to Narbonne and beyond, via Air France to Paris, then train to Lyon, train to Narbonne. While waiting for my local connection at Narbonne this evening it occurred to me that this is a station worth modelling. In 40 minutes I saw two double deck TGVs, three Bombardier TERs and two very long container freights. The latter were probably to and from La Boulou near Perpignan.

And the atmosphere was heightened by spending time drinking a café crème at the station bar, this could not be more French if they tried!

The rest of the journey was tout à l'heure and, given the smooth ride of the Double Decker TGVs, I spent a lot of the time asleep! Shared bogies are the best.

On reflection, and after a good night's sleep, a little more on this subject.  Narbonne is an important junction in southern France.  The station is to the east of a three way junction which used to contain a roundhouse between the tracks.  Trains passing through the station include all passenger services from the east to either the west (Toulouse) or the south (Perpignan).  Passenger services from the south to the east also change at the station (no through trains as far as I know).

Over the past 10 years or so I have seen a tremendous variety of trains passing through.  These include:

Passenger services:

TGVs running between Perpignan and Paris (now Barcelona and Paris, including AVE sets), Dijon and Toulouse, etc.  These used to be single decker Reseau sets but Duplexes are now more common.

Grand Ligne loco hauled trains, including Corail, Talgo, Italian Couchetta, and German motor rail (Narbonne is a terminus).  The Talgo trains have gone.

Regional trains, including some loco hauled but mostly EMUs.

Freight services:

Wood pulp trains

Container trains (many go to the rail/road terminal at Le Boulou south of Perpignan)

Tanker trains

Covered wagon trains

Transfesa trains to Spain (including Ford trains from Spain to Dagenham)

Although most locos are electric, I have seen the occasional diesel electric, probably running trains from non-electrified branch lines.

In times past there was a branch line north to Bize Minervois which had a tourist train.  Alas, long gone.  The occasional freight train does use the line, however, as far as a factory on the Canal du Midi.

Google Maps or Apple Maps will show the general layout at Narbonne with a large freight yard now mostly used to hold freight trains.  Eventually the TGV services will by pass the station, but don't hold your breath on this happening soon!  The argument still rages on as to who should pay for the LGV construction and whether or not this means one or two stations to serve Narbonne and Béziers which are in different Departments.

Granted the interesting operating potential, the French tendancy to resist 'rationalising' track within station limits makes Narbonne a pretty massive project. Is it just 5 platform roads (southern bay abandoned?), and a mere 26(?) avoiding/stabling/marshalling roads (some with catenary)? Must say I like the use of generous 'y' turnouts to spread the siding fan, though, reminiscent of hump yards. Long time since I visited so I can't remember, but I presume it is all flat?

Yes, it is a massive complex, particularly if you include the triple junction to the west and the attendant roundhouse/turntable and two wagon repair shops.  I must admit I was thinking N gauge though that is something I wouldn't do personally.  A club layout perhaps?

The southern bay, Voie H, is still used, mainly for local passenger traffic to and from Castelnaudry, the western limit for Languedoc-Roussilon services.  I think there is a hump at the eastern end of the yard with a long head shunt stretching almost to the bridge under the ring road.  But otherwise the yard is flat.

I have yet to fully understand the platform assignments but I think Voie A is primarily used for west/south bound trains to Perpignan while Voie B is used for west bound trains to Toulouse.  Voie C seems to be used for east bound trains from Toulouse while Voie D is definitely used for trains from Perpignan to the east and north.  The track adjacent to Voie D is used to park freights while through freights not requiring a stop simply run through the passenger platforms.

The German autotrain service uses the far northern part of the station complex with a separate entrance.  Ironically, passengers first drop their cars off and then take a navette (shuttle) to the station to join the passenger coaches.

Photos of many of the trains that pass through and serve Narbonne can be seen in my thread on the Sud de France.

I've spent some time here during summer holidays, but more than ten years ago now, and also passed through on a Eurodomino ticket.

At that time there were quite a few overnight sleepers, usually hauled by BB22200 locos. I caught one once going south to Le Boulou, joining at Beziers, not the nicest of experiences, the train smelled awful.

post-13196-0-17861800-1453381112_thumb.jpg

Around 1999, BB8120 awaits the road south, light engine.

Archived