Jintys No.47445 and 47564

MerseyMan

Does anyone know the current status (condition maybe a better word) of both 47445 and 47564 at the Midland Railway Centre. I know 47564 was used as parts but what of 47445? I’ve searched Fotopic and Flickr but unfortunately I cant find any pictures at all of either loco since being withdrawn from service.

• RMweb Gold

I believe that they are both owned by the Midland Railway and are only seen as a source of spare parts. A couple of years back the North Norfolk Railway made an offer to restore one of them ( 47445 if my memory is working) and sadly the MR refused.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The state of these locos is a particular shame given that I was informed that one (I'm not sure which one) formerly worked passenger trains on the North London line and AFAIK is the only one left with the distinctive destination board brackets fitted to the footplate & bunker.

Surely one could be restored?

47445 is currently in the workshop undergoing long term restoration. The frames had alot of wasted material on the ends and this has all had to be cut off and new plate welded in its place. A new bunker/cab will have to be fabricated as the original resembles a seive. It could be another 4 years until this runs down to severe lack of funds.

47564 will never run again as a Jinty. It's boiler is currently I think on 47327 (We have 4 Jinty boilers that we rotate around depending on what needs what) The frames are in the Diesel depot head shunt. This jinty was used as a static carriage heating boiler and therefore has no side tanks. Most useable spares, other than the wheelsets have been stripped off it. There was talk, by group of people associated with the MRT to convert it into a Midland 2f tender loco, although this has gone very quiet at the moment so I can't see anything happening with this for the foreseable future.

Hope this answers any questions.

Archived