RMweb

a dc/ac convert ?

mervyn

Morning all I have just purchased a Lionel hall,( I was after an Ace castle but the prices are astronomical!) and want to convert it to DC has anyone done this ? is it just a matter of tracing the pick ups and doing a direct wire to the motor and getting rid of all the electrical gubbins? :scratchhead:  any advice willingly received ! and photos as well would be great! Thanks. mervyn from a rainy S Wales coast

I'm not sure about Lionel motors*, but AC motors are generally universal - all the gubbins serves to reverse the beast. DC conversion involves fitting rectifiers to ensure that current always flows the same way in the field winding** (replacement with a permanent magnet is also an option of course).

* The instructions state not to use DC, but this could be for the electronics. Not having one I'm not sure.

https://www.lionelsupport.com/media/servicedocuments/71-0020-250.pdf

** or in the armature - Trix motors reverse this , Märklin the field.

A great loco; I run mine on AC to be compatible with other US brands; however the motor in this engine is DC already. The 'gubbins' converts the AC input into DC so if you want to run D

C direct, be sure to disconnect any sound boards or else the whistle will sound continuously.

Brian.

Thanks for the replies dismantled the Loco today and disconnected the motor and just put a low voltage dc current to it and as Brian has said its a DC one so I have taken out the big electrical board wired the motor direct to the track pick ups and its now running sweetly on DC! next job will be a repaint into BR Green or Black but that can wait till the warmer weather comes Thanks for the help peeps :sungum: much appreciated!

Archived