Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

Edwardian's method is pretty much the same as mine, so he's saved me from doing the step by step i was going to do.

Vallejo acrylics are a good choice (it's what I use, especially after games workshop changed their paint range), they have a incredibly large range and go on very nicely, but for metals I use their model air range and brush them on, as the ones I have bought from their main range seem to be very think and don't respond well to watering down. Also they have a much finer pigment than for example Game Workshop's range, so be careful handling the figures after painting as there can be problems with the paint rubbing off if they havn't been varnished.

Stuart

Snap!

I was quite happy with the Citadel range, then they went and changed the colours!  So, I thought to myself, if I have to learn a new range, it might as well be this Vallejo range I keep hearing about.  Sent away for some, liked them, moved up here and, blow me if they don't stock them in Boyes Department Store, right here in Barney!

Gary - Keep up the good work!

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well another week has passed, and I still haven't got into the model shop to buy some paint for my figures I have however done some ballasting on the layout!

I even managed to get some pictures of the super top secret gauging train employed by the PW team to make sure that even the worse offenders on the wheel flange front can manage to get through the ballast once it runs over the sleepers.

post-22762-0-12246000-1490112745_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-14113500-1490112746_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-10462900-1490112747_thumb.jpg

On top of that. If you can recall the past way back on page 5 I asked about signalling, and Mike (the Stationmaster) very helpfully provided details of what was required in the way of signals and point rodding and everything else. Which I then purchased although as yet I haven't fitted any signals and only a few bits of rodding. I have however this week started working on the signal box!

post-22762-0-88836100-1490112747_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-88400400-1490112748_thumb.jpg

What I would like to know is what does the interior of an LB&SCR signal box look like????? And also what order do I need my levers to be in. As I plan on having this fully detailed I do not want to do any more work on the signal box until I know what is going inside.

Also you can ignore the signalman flat on his back in the box, I think he has just fainted from the shock of me finally getting rid of the paper box!!

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

• Like 8

Signalbox.org might be the answer to most of your queries.  Under Lever Frames they have got pictures of both Saxby & Farmer and LBSC home-brew lever frames, and their gallery section has lots of Brighton boxes, many of which have several internal views, showing not just the frames but all the other paraphernalia involved.

As for order of levers, the general rule seems to have been to start with No. 1 being usually the distant signal furthest to the left of the box, the numbering in the box also starting at the left.  Numbering would generally then follow the route of a train as it travels through the station, from the left.  If we call this direction "Up" then the signals and points for the "Down" line would then be numbered in reverse order, with the furthest distant being the highest number.  Points and other levers would be included in a similar way, so levers associated with Up movements would generally be at  one end of the frame, Down at the other, an early example of ergonomics in practice.  The signalbox site has a number of layouts to show how others have done it, although sadly no LBSC examples. Brighton enthusiasts have the benefit of a complete set of signalling diagrams available, so if you can say which Brighton station Oak Hill most resembles, I can supply the appropriate diagram which might assist you. Spare levers might have been inserted, in a ffairly random way, particularly if there was an anticipation of expansion in the future, or if the number of levers required didn't fill the "standard" frame sizes available, if there were such standards.

• Like 1

Guest Midland Mole

Cant wait to see the signal box progress. :)

That loco being used by the PW crew has the strangest version of an LB&SC livery I have ever seen! :P

Alex

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Percy is an important part of my ballasting. He is a terrible runner, I think his back-to-back is out but I haven't checked, and the brake van has its original large flanged Tri-ang wheels. The theory being if they can run through the ballast OK so can everything else I own.

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Gary,

The layout does look better for the ballast.  Yes, Improved Goods Green.  I have some old Hornby stuff including His Nibs in green.  I think he and Thomas run alright, in fact at my wife's encouragement he was raced against a class 92 and won, but some of the flanges on the coaches are a bit coarse and 'jump' even on Peco 100 points.  That could be the problem, not that you want to run him on a regular basis of course.  I think it is a good idea to have an engine an vehicle that makes sure that everything else will run.

Did LSBCR have facing point locks in 1905?  If so you will need a lever to operate them next to the point in question.  I am not sure if or when the Cambrian brought them in as at one point in the late 1800s the method to lock them was the local porter would basically put his foot on the point lever to stop it jumping open.  There was legislation about facing point locks, and I am sure the LBSCR was slightly more compliant, and richer than the Cambrian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No Percy shall never run often. No matter how much the kids want him to. He actually belongs to my step-son having been given him as a non-runner by the local model shop.

As for facing point locks. I am not 100% sure that the LB&SCR were using them in 1905, I think they were and as a result I do have 2 of them on the layout. One on the point in front of the signal box and one of the platform side of the run around loop. These locations were advised by Mike (The Stationmaster)

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Stroudley patented an "Improvement in the means of and apparatus for locking facing points or switches on railways" in July 1866, before he joined the LB&SCR.

The Lewes re-signalling drawings of 1878 refers to "All points connected to Passenger Lines are Interlocked".

Hope this is of interest,

Cheers,

Dave

The LBSC occasionally used the Economic Facing Point Lock, which somehow integrated the FPL with the actual point actuation mechanism in one lever. One example was immediately in front of the signal box at Fittleworth.  This could mean that, if there isn't enough space in the frame for separate FPL levers, use of the Economic one might be cited.

Regarding the interior, I believe that the box at Isfield has been suitably restored and can be easily viewed, to get a proper idea of the layout and equipment used, as I think it is roughly the same size as your model.

• Like 1

Afternoon Gary,

If you want a good laugh...and all your other followers...have a look on Ebay/LBSCR at Mr Gostude's latest offerings. Two bargain sets of LBSCR coaches one of which is resplendent in LSWR livery at absolute bargain prices....NOT!

Like the ballasting by the way..

Cheers Craig.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well they look like very nice carriage sets LOL. Not sure where he comes up with his prices though, I do often wonder how often he actually sells anything.

For anyone curious here's some links:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D-S-KIT-BUILT-EM-GAUGE-RAKE-of-3-LB-SCR-1905-LIVERY-COACH-GODDARD-LAWRENCE-nj-/361936185238?hash=item544513e796:g:lpgAAOSwDKtY1XOG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D-S-KIT-BUILT-EM-GAUGE-RAKE-of-4-LB-SCR-COACH-GODDARD-LAWRENCE-nj-/361936184680?hash=item544513e568:g:EqoAAOSwTM5Y1XM3

Gary

Well they look like very nice carriage sets LOL. Not sure where he comes up with his prices though, I do often wonder how often he actually sells anything.

For anyone curious here's some links:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D-S-KIT-BUILT-EM-GAUGE-RAKE-of-3-LB-SCR-1905-LIVERY-COACH-GODDARD-LAWRENCE-nj-/361936185238?hash=item544513e796:g:lpgAAOSwDKtY1XOG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D-S-KIT-BUILT-EM-GAUGE-RAKE-of-4-LB-SCR-COACH-GODDARD-LAWRENCE-nj-/361936184680?hash=item544513e568:g:EqoAAOSwTM5Y1XM3

Gary

The 4 car set even has a photo of the price! £400 is a heavy markup for just reselling it.

• RMweb Gold

The 4 car set even has a photo of the price! £400 is a heavy markup for just reselling it.

I think he needs to have a mark up like that to pay for how long it will sit on shelf waiting for a buyer!! :jester: :jester:

Gary

• RMweb Premium

To be fair, superb work like this by the likes of Larry Goddard and Derek Lawrence is never going to be cheap. But I would rather that they got a larger part of the money that that it went to a middle man.

And are those "Brighton" coaches in LSWR livery actually LSWR anyway? I'm no expert on anything south of the Thames  but they have an LSWR feel about them.

Jonathan

Edited by corneliuslundie
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Jonathan,

I agree that the fabulous work by Lawrence / Goddard will never be cheap. I also think it is worth paying their rates if you can afford it.

However these carriages are from the early 90's and as Gostude is a dealer not a modeller he would not be the one that paid for them originally. I doubt very much he even paid what is on the invoices for them. I also don't actually see any mention of Larry Goddard on the pictures of the carriages or invoices. Knowing that Gosturde doesn't have the most accurate naming policy (have a look as this title, Triang Hornby Dublo Kit Built, which is it?? Looks like a Jinty on a Dublo Chassis to me) I doubt he was involved as I am sure he signed the underside of everything he painted.

However, not sure about the LSWR Carriages. They look like LSWR diagrams to me but I'm not familiar enough with them to know.

Gary

• Like 1

Guest Midland Mole

Wow those prices! :O

I appreciate that they are very well made and look fantastic, but wooooooow. I agree that those will be most likely be sitting there for quite a while! :D

Still, the very nice (and reasonably priced) kit built MR brake van they had for sale has found itself a new home, thanks again Gary. ;)

Alex

• Like 2