RMweb

The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Premium

What rail have you used / is it designed for? (I have no idea if the Peco bullhead rail is the same profile as that supplied by C&L, although from something I read recently it may all be made by the same firm.)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

It's designed for, and I have used Peco Bullhead, my 3 way point is made with C&L and that happily fits in the Peco fishplates, so I expect the profile is close enough that either could be used

Gary

• Informative/Useful 3

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well I should probably update this slightly more often, I've being doing some work on the underside of the layout recently, and a bit of work on one of my terriers, meaning this happened the other day! (Make sure you have sound on)

I'm very happy with how this is all going, I'd best get some couplings on my Hornby not Stroudleys!

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 13
  • Round of applause 5

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Gary,

Yes the layout is coming on nicely and is quite exciting, have started work on the London Road turntable kit now, will be nice to get that in!

The sound is great, it was a Zimo chip supplied by YouChoos, I spoke to them at Ally Pally and knew exactly what it needed and supplied the chip, speaker, and instructions to fit it, I thought it was going to be a lot harder than it was given the size of the loco!

Gary

• Like 7

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nice to see progress on Oak Hill, Gary.  The goods shed works nicely, and I like that trackwork.

Congrats on the new job. Sounds like it was the right move.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mikkel,

The goods shed idea was very much inspired by your depot, I just hope it looks half as effective as yours once it's finished!

The trackwork is Peco Bullhead, except the 3 way turnout which is built from C&L parts to Peco geometry, painted with Railmatch Sleeper Grime and Dark Rust, I'm very happy that the 3 way seems to fit in nicely with the Peco as it was my first ever attempt at building track!

Gary

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Gary,

Glad things have worked out in the end.  I can imagine it is difficult working in modelling, then going home and thinking, 'What shall I do to relax?  I know, what I have been doing all day!'  Maybe not.  Are you still selling 3D prints?  I am not about to send you a big order, but I have just primed to two kits you sent me, so watch this space.  No, not this space, my space.

The layout is looking good.  Interesting idea with your signal levers.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

Yes, still selling the 3D prints, there are currently no plans to end that, in fact I have quite a bit waiting to launch.

There were a few different reasons that the shop had to be sold, it is a shame as I did once see it as my forever job, but I'm much happier now than I was this time last year.

Gary

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, BlueLightning said:

The layout has been fully wired for powered, the signalling has been planned, servos have been purchased for point and signal movement, and I am slowly building a number of Scale4 Society lever frames to operate them, there will be 30 levers on the layout in total, including one to switch between DC and DCC operating modes, and several isolating sections.

leverFrameLayout.jpg.89ed2a568af626d7521201bba7afa330.jpg

image.png.678c16467ad55a16185a6ff5ae994ce2.png

I currently have enough kits for 20 levers, so by bypassing the DC sections I can get the layout wired up and working. Providing I can work out how to program the servos, they look easy enough.

You can reduce the number of levers by at least two - 8&9 and 4&10 can both be worked as crossovers, off one lever. If the Brighton were as stingy as the SW there would probably be only one signal for leaving the yard too, applying to both loop and yard (remembering that 11, 15-17, 19 and 20 would in reality all be hand-points)

Edited by Nick C
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

You're right I probably could, and I may well do so, however rather than removing levers I'll be adding spares, as the kit comes in blocks of 5, so knock out a few more and you can save me some money 🤣 I suppose I could knock out lever 3, since that signal won't actually exist on the layout, but I like the idea of operating it as part of the sequence regardless.

I've only got the frame built up to 15 levers so far, and only actually got the first 5 levers in it, and currently it's no where near the layout, so there is still time for revisions

8 & 9 do share a rod in the cosmetic rodding, so it at least shows the box on the layout is correct.

Gary

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BlueLightning said:

You're right I probably could, and I may well do so, however rather than removing levers I'll be adding spares, as the kit comes in blocks of 5, so knock out a few more and you can save me some money 🤣 I suppose I could knock out lever 3, since that signal won't actually exist on the layout, but I like the idea of operating it as part of the sequence regardless.

I've only got the frame built up to 15 levers so far, and only actually got the first 5 levers in it, and currently it's no where near the layout, so there is still time for revisions

8 & 9 do share a rod in the cosmetic rodding, so it at least shows the box on the layout is correct.

Gary

Well, distant would probably be fixed at a branch line terminus, and I'd suggest you don't need the shunt ahead from the platform either- so dropping 3, 9, 10, 14 and 18. To be really Brighton you could also have 6 and 7 selected on points 4 (I.e. one lever works either signal depending on the lie of the points)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

There was an erudite discussion with a bit of a Brighton bias around @Skinnylinny's lever frame and locking; among other things, I recall being disabused of my assumption that a terminus like this would inevitably have a fixed distant. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 13/05/2024 at 20:41, Nick C said:

Well, distant would probably be fixed at a branch line terminus, and I'd suggest you don't need the shunt ahead from the platform either- so dropping 3, 9, 10, 14 and 18. To be really Brighton you could also have 6 and 7 selected on points 4 (I.e. one lever works either signal depending on the lie of the points)

Thanks,

As Stephen said, I do believe on a Brighton line even a terminus like this would have a worked distant, and the shunt ahead signal existing was based on a photo from the correct period, so those 2 I would like to keep, plus the shunt ahead despite being a ground signal was mounted on the signal arm, so gives something a bit different looking that you don't see modelled often, so that's a plus.

6 and 7 being combined into 1 lever is interesting though, I will look into seeing if I can work out wiring that up, my A level electronics should manage it, but I'll need to be more awake than I am now.

Gary

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well getting back to regular updates was a nice idea, but this might stop me for a few weeks......

2024-05-1719_18_47.jpg.0f5e0610519f7c2d44a60f83c9ecfbde.jpg

Nothing serious, but doing anything with that arm is currently very painful, so reading rather than modelling for a couple of weeks, still, I suppose I'll be able to pose some nice new Kernow wagons at some point (I'm glad I had heard in advance so could have money aside for them)

Gary

• Friendly/supportive 16