Prints off Glass Plate Negatives - who offers this service

Blue Max

I have a couple of glass plate negatives (railway related) that I would like to get a large scale print off.

Can anyone advise me of a company that can offer this service please. Ideally a company within 30 miles of Nottingham/Derby, but would travel farther if I had to. Do not fancy sending them by post.

Any info. gratefully received.

Thanks, SteveT

I have a couple of glass plate negatives (railway related) that I would like to get a large scale print off.

Can anyone advise me of a company that can offer this service please. Ideally a company within 30 miles of Nottingham/Derby, but would travel farther if I had to. Do not fancy sending them by post.

Any info. gratefully received.

Thanks, SteveT

Hi Steve,

Most companies lost the ability to do this sort of thing a long time ago. It is much easier to get large high-resolution digital prints. (Out of interest, what size prints are you looking for?).

My professional solution to this is to scan the glass plate negatives at very high resolution and write the resulting file to a CD or DVD disk to take or send to a graphics house who can print them onto paper or vinyl-based materials at large sizes. If the requirement is for moderate-sized images, it may be possible to use files of a size that can be sent as an e-mail attachment.

You may find that a local photography club will have someone with the appropriate quality of flatbed scanner who might be willing to do the scans for you and write them to disk. Once this is done, it should not be very difficult to locate a graphics house who can do the prints for you. If you are able to get the scans done, look on the web for "large size prints". The company may not be immediately local, but they will post the prints in a strong tube to anywhere.

JJ

This one in Kettering

https://www.townswebarchiving.com/digitisation/glass-plate-negatives/?gclid=CP_tmrj0xMoCFcLnGwodbwAKfg

There are a few around who offer this service, as always Google is your friend.

Be careful to compare prices, the charges for scans vary considerably from reasonable (£1.00-1.50 per frame) to ridiculous (> £10.00 per frame). The quality of scans can also be variable and a high price does not necessarily mean you will get the best results.

The prices for printing can also vary and dramatically and depend on the size of the finished print required as well as the type and thickness of material it is printed onto.

This company http://www.art-printers.com/index.html (no personal connection) is "railway-aware" and does some really good printed back scenes aw well as offering a bespoke printing service. It might be worth having a chat wit them.

JJ

Archived