Signal Posts - distance from track

PMP99

• RMweb Gold

Was/is there a standard distance that semaphore signal posts are set from the nearest running line?

Not sure about the latest metric distances but the old ones were 4'9 3/4" minimum, and 5' 3 3/4" desirable, measured from the nearest running rail inside edge.

BUT 'in cases of difficulty' where signals were between tracks a minimum of 18" clearance from train bodywork was acceptable; that would give a minimum distance of 2' 4" between the train bodywork and the signal.

Don't forget that in most cases the signal ladder was wider than the signal post and that the minima also applied to it.

I have a copy of A Pictorial Record of Southern Signals (1999 ed) by G.Pryer, published by OPC. ISBN No 0 0902888 81 1

Plate 12 shows examples of official structure gauge clearances for the Southern Railway. It gives the clearance of any part of the signal structure as being 5'1" minimum from the outside edge of the nearest running rail. There is other information but of course for copyright reasons I am unable to post a scan of the plate.

There is no date given for the info but the book was first published in 1977. I'd assume that the information comes from a somewhat earlier date possibly pre-nationalisation in 1948.

I have a copy of A Pictorial Record of Southern Signals (1999 ed) by G.Pryer, published by OPC. ISBN No 0 0902888 81 1

Plate 12 shows examples of official structure gauge clearances for the Southern Railway. It gives the clearance of any part of the signal structure as being 5'1" minimum from the outside edge of the nearest running rail. There is other information but of course for copyright reasons I am unable to post a scan of the plate.

There is no date given for the info but the book was first published in 1977. I'd assume that the information comes from a somewhat earlier date possibly pre-nationalisation in 1948.

I'll find the Structuring gauging diagram I have and post a copy to the site.

Archived