Model Shops in Manchester

D5541

Morning all, as I will find myself up that way today, I was wondering if there were any model Shops in Manchester (or immediate area) with a half decent second hand collection? I'm a bit tight on both budget and timetable, and using public transport or shanks's pony so sadly a trip to Hattons is out on this occasion, any other pointers would be much appreciated :-)

Cheers

Dan

• RMweb Gold

Arcadia in Shaw.

It's quite a bit out (to say the least) but there is a Tram from the city centre. (Take the Rochdale Tram.)

There is also the "Ian Allen Bookshop" on the "Piccadilly approach". Books and mags', downstairs, and model trains upstairs. But no second hand stuff here (I pretty sure).

Kev.

Cheers guys :-) I'm specifically after 2nd hand, n a specific loco if I can find one, I'll see if I can find those 2 shops n see what they got though :-)

Just getting to piccadilly as I type this, wondering whether to find model Shops or lose an hour joyriding on 142's now :-) hehe

• RMweb Gold

Look up Arcadia's phone number and give Tim a call.

He is most helpful and it will probably save you the journey out to Shaw.

This will give you some extra time to sample the, ahem, delights of 142 travel.

May I be so bold as to recommend the journey between Ashton-under-Lyne and Stalybridge where the full "Nodding Donkey effect" can still be experienced!

(Ear defenders are advisable for the Miles Platting curve if travelling from Manchester Victoria! A two 2-car set is running the M.Vic to Stalybridge diagram today.)

Errr... Enjoy!

Kev.

I find the Ian Allan Bookshop in Manchester handy because being on Piccadilly Station Approach it's easy to get to.

I noticed their prices are similar to Hattons as well and as I don't have a car that makes a difference.

Got my new Dapol 73 from the shop a few weeks ago.

The seem to stock most ranges but not Heljan and as SHMD said they don't have Second Hand.

Not a lot of European but I believe they can get items to order.

If I want a ride on a tram then Arcadia at Shaw and the Locoshed at Besses o'th Barn are good but I think the Locoshed is the only one with Second hand items

Peter

• 3 months later...

Ian Allan Manchester is having a closing down sale that started on 16th May at 10am according to the banner on the Ian Allan homepage. So that is the end of that. A lot of modelling stock, books and DVDs already gone according to a friend who called in today. I am guessing the closure of the shop is tied into the redevelopment of the Piccadilly Approach buildings?

Cheers Paul

Archived