Where is it now?

Cornwall, the Isles of Scilly, that sort of place?

I'm already imagining a sort of cross-national relay, with a battered BLT as baton.

Huntingdon, which is actually only a direct 3-hour sprint up the A1, but the problem will be finding a 6-hour plus slot when the car is free. 

I have just snuck in here, incognito, and ask myself if my scant knowledge of things Edwardian is sufficient to partake of any actual comment.

My understanding of all things British is derived from distant memories of Heath Robinson, Aubrey Beardsley (sp?), Giles, and Bertie Wooster (who I am sure was a friend of my father's), and Hornby Dublo catalogues of 1957. 

I do get confused easily, best to stay silent, methinks. 

When is tea again?

Welcome, Rob.  Don't be backwards in coming forwards, you find yourself among friends here!

I think your selective memories of things British eminently qualifies you to participate, though we have various overseas and francophone tendencies here too.

By way of introduction, your magnificent photoshopped back-dating of the forthcoming Bachmann H1.

Ta dah!: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_01_2018/post-7929-0-99268500-1515445029.jpg

And how big is it?

The railway......of course.

I gather that it is in 4 sections, each approximately 3' long.  I would judge the width at no more than 18".  It forms an 'L', so one piece is wider to form the corner. Probably forms an 'L' of, say, 6' one side and 8' t'other.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Let me preface this post by saying that I didn't, at any stage, wear a corset, though one was never more necessary than now, but I do know what you mean.  As a Young Fogey undergrad, I affected a separate, very highly starched, shirt collar for every-day wear.  The decision was certainly nothing to do with comfort!

Of course, high wing collars were worn with dress wear, and it was a point of pride for one chap that his collar was so stiff and snug that he cut his neck on it when turning his head too suddenly.

Fashion and style is a triumph of vanity over comfort. Wearing comfortable old clothes is a triumph of comfort over self respect. Isn't the mantra no pain no gain.

Don

I'll be lucky if the track-laying gets a look-in until the weekend.

So a rail replacement service provided by hackney carriage, horse drawn bus or farmers cart with bales used for seats, no sorry too early for bales so sit on the floor!!

Martyn

Edited by mullie
  • Like 3

Note really, Extremely Northern Line to King's Cross, then Piccadilly, change at South Ken for the District Line.  Simples!

It's cheaper by bus. X26 from Darlington for example... Don't use the Extremely Northern line since that bearded parasite got his hands on it again!

• RMweb Gold

So a rail replacement service provided by hackney carriage, horse drawn bus or farmers cart with bales used for seats, no sorry too early for bales so sit on the floor!!

Martyn

Probably shank's pony for most, the nobs of course would have recourse to their own carriages. By Edwardian times any stagecoaches had gone and the omnibuses were mostly in the cities although the GWR did start its rural bus services in 1903 they were pioneering. With Daimler buses I think.

Don

Probably shank's pony for most, the nobs of course would have recourse to their own carriages. By Edwardian times any stagecoaches had gone and the omnibuses were mostly in the cities although the GWR did start its rural bus services in 1903 they were pioneering. With Daimler buses I think.

Don

Perhaps the Directors of the West Norfolk might procure the loan of one of these?

post-25673-0-01012800-1515483539_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

post-1971-0-92668600-1515500624.jpg

Perhaps the Directors of the West Norfolk might procure the loan of one of these?

Or rely on private contractors. Edwin Potter ran this bus between Devizes and Market Lavington from the 1880s to the 1900s – the railway only arrived at Lavington in 1899 and even then was a couple miles away from Market Lavington.

Edited by wagonman
  • Like 1

Runs-As-Required very kindly donated the iron, flux and solder. 

I find that I failed to make, or retain, a note, so I must ask my Benefactor.  Apart from anything else, that solder won't last forever.

We need to 'backtrack' over 18 months to our first impossibly overpacked afternoon meet-up at your delightful rural Teesdale hidey-hole to recall this info.

I was at the time the enthusiastic new owner (in role as Mr Toad) of a Precision Gold A55 KJ soldering station and bundled up all my accumulated soldering kit in the Mondeo in anticipation of the exhilarating drive over the high west Durham moors and deep dales from home above the Tyne.

I hope I left you with my 50 watt yellow Antex  iron (or was it a slower blue handled 40 w Draper of my son's?) and a coil of 125 degree lead solder (not multi core). As for flux, I reckon I took my newly acquired liquid Carrs yellow flux (and brush) back over the moors.

Once the curlews are are back on the tops in a few weeks, might we have another meet up ?

dh

Edit

Crikey (as you Edwardians exclaim on this thread), I now see the topics have rolled across several pages of topics since the above solder query was posed.

Regarding double deck railway owned vehicles, I wonder why the GER were never attracted to such high density rolling stock

post-21705-0-66618100-1515502382.jpg

Does anyone Know where this is?  It doesn't seem to be Dublin and Blessington.

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 3

We need to 'backtrack' over 18 months to our first impossibly overpacked afternoon meet-up at your delightful rural Teesdale hidey-hole to recall this info.

I was at the time the enthusiastic new owner (in role as Mr Toad) of a Precision Gold A55 KJ soldering station and bundled up all my accumulated soldering kit in the Mondeo in anticipation of the exhilarating drive over the high west Durham moors and deep dales from home above the Tyne.

I hope I left you with my 50 watt yellow Antex  iron (or was it a slower blue handled 40 w Draper of my son's?) and a coil of 125 degree lead solder (not multi core). As for flux, I reckon I took my newly acquired liquid Carrs yellow flux (and brush) back over the moors.

Once the curlews are are back on the tops in a few weeks, might we have another meet up ?

dh

David, you are welcome any time.

Even if I finish the track before you manage to get over, there is still the wiring (which I think I may fear even more than turnout construction, which is to say, I fear it quite a lot).

I have been using the iron you taught me on.  It's green, labelled 'Parkside', and I see some tiny inscriptions upon it, saying, inter alia "30 W".  You kindly left me a pot of 'Templers telux Soldering Flux', and some solder, which I am entirely willing to accept is 125 degree lead solder.  Both it and the Butanone substitute are pretty trippy.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

60/40 tin/lead solder plus 9% phosphoric acid flux, and a decent iron of 40W or more (which you have) are all that you need, provided you clean the surfaces first - purple Scotchbrite is best if you can get it, but I use green.

I would use 145 or 125 lowmelt if applying a thin overlay but not for strong joints (you are ok with it on pcb track as the strength comes from multiple joints, but these are not strong enough for structural joints on chassis: ask me how I know this...) and 70 for white metal (which adheres well to tinned brass) but otherwise don’t bother with lots of solders. I know people say that you use different temperatures for complicated assemblies, but that just suggests to me that the iron isn’t hot enough to be able to quickly dab in with it, or the assembly is not properly supported during assembly.

One of my friends uses 60/40 solder for everything, including white metal: he cleans, fluxes and then carries the solder to the join, but does not touch the white metal with the iron. Fascinating to watch, but I cann’t do it - ask me how I know that, too!

It s important that the 60% is tin and not lead.

Edit: that’s what works for me, and saves faffing about with lots of different solders. YMMV.

Edited by Regularity

• RMweb Gold

Fashion and style is a triumph of vanity over comfort. Wearing comfortable old clothes is a triumph of comfort over self respect. Isn't the mantra no pain no gain.

I generally notice that fashion and style tend to look good only on thin people, so it has been well over 2 decades since I could manage to look stylish*, and I was never bothered about fashion...

I also think that sheep dressing as lamb shows even less self-respect (and certainly less self-awareness) than wearing comfortable old clothes!

* Unless the style happens to be baggy jumpers.

• Like 1

I recognise the photo, and I think it might be somewhere in the Black Country - if I stumble upon the book with it on the cover, I will confirm.

The biggest/silliest double-deck tramcars in GB were on the Wolverton and Stony Stratford, the body of one being preserved. It is blooming enormous, and even static it looks utterly unstable.

They lived in a depot that is still in existence, as a builders yard and joinery workshop, and the curves in and out were seriously sharp, maybe 1 chain radius, so it must have been a real sight watching them squeeze down an alleyway and turn hard right to go to bed.

The 'town' end of the WNR tramway extension must surely need something like this, to cope with ...... well ........ transporting workers to the annual turnip-digging rush, maybe? Actually, if the County Show could be located on its route, that would give lots of traffic. Even in the 1960s, buses used to queue outside the Kent Show to cope with the homeward rush.

post-26817-0-38043500-1515503416.jpg

• Like 3

dh

Edit

Crikey (as you Edwardians exclaim on this thread), I now see the topics have rolled across several pages of topics since the above solder query was posed.

Regarding double deck railway owned vehicles, I wonder why the GER were never attracted to such high density rolling stock

attachicon.gifsteam tram.jpg

Does anyone Know where this is?  It doesn't seem to be Dublin and Blessington.

I recognise the photo, and I think it might be somewhere in the Black Country - if I stumble upon the book with it on the cover, I will confirm.

The biggest/silliest double-deck tramcars in GB were on the Wolverton and Stony Stratford, the body of one being preserved. It is blooming enormous, and even static it looks utterly unstable.

They lived in a depot that is still in existence, as a builders yard and joinery workshop, and the curves in and out were seriously sharp, maybe 1 chain radius, so it must have been a real sight watching them squeeze down an alleyway and turn hard right to go to bed.

The 'town' end of the WNR tramway extension must surely need something like this, to cope with ...... well ........ transporting workers to the annual turnip-digging rush, maybe? Actually, if the County Show could be located on its route, that would give lots of traffic. Even in the 1960s, buses used to queue outside the Kent Show to cope with the homeward rush.

I had immediately thought of the Wolverton and Stony Stratford based on the architecture, but ruled it out because it does not show one of those Gigantor-Tramcars.

I don't think it's Ireland, but somewhere in the Midlands or North of England, like Leeds or Burnley, or Manchester.

"Neave's Foods" was an English concern.