I had thought that simply being a 4-4-2 design would suffice, given recent discussion in these learned pages of such.

My pictorial skills would have to be fully engaged to apply a veneer of GCR colours to the canvas, probably using 11F 4-4-0 'Mons' as  a template, an intriguing project for some day.

I noticed with a mix of dismay and pleasure that there is a Butler Henderson for sale on Ebay at a price somewhat below usual,  I having sold mine some years ago...     I want to keep some money for such as food....

post-7929-0-73610800-1517074048_thumb.jpg

edit; picture based on the preposterous assumption that the sun shone in Edwardian times, even upon dark satanic mills....

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

I had thought that simply being a 4-4-2 design would suffice, given recent discussion in these learned pages of such.

My pictorial skills would have to be fully engaged to apply a veneer of GCR colours to the canvas, probably using 11F 4-4-0 'Mons' as  a template, an intriguing project for some day.

I noticed with a mix of dismay and pleasure that there is a Butler Henderson for sale on Ebay at a price somewhat below usual,  I having sold mine some years ago...     I want to keep some money for such as food....

attachicon.gif506_shed2_8_clag_4a_r1200.jpg

Well, Bachmann is releasing another class member in GC livery in the near future.

What to do with a post Great War GC express engine?!?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

D Wardian

report to the Heads office to explain your failure to do your homework and  do not bother with the exercise book trick the Head is aware of that

Or in real terms hows is the progress or are you like Mr Toad looking at the new layout going "toot toot" ?

Nick

Well, Bachmann is releasing another class member in GC livery in the near future.

What to do with a post Great War GC express engine?!?

Why, show it off on a cigarette card of course!

post-7929-0-92926000-1517172162_thumb.jpg

Although I cannot vouch for the exactitude of pipes to do with super-heating and other such wonders of science...  as a boy swapping cards at school I doubt it would have been a concern of the highest order.

These 4-4-2s are a disease, I suggest that moderation is in order. 

This computer has a button called 'livery change'.  :)  The little things were many; dome, chimney, safety valves and so on, already I see details I will have to fix.

I wonder if this will ever appear RTR?

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 6

Why, show it off on a cigarette card of course!

attachicon.gif1094_C4_GCR_Atlantic_portrait12_4ab_r1200.jpg

Although I cannot vouch for the exactitude of pipes to do with super-heating and other such wonders of science...  as a boy swapping cards at school I doubt it would have been a concern of the highest order.

These 4-4-2s are a disease, I suggest that moderation is in order. 

This computer has a button called 'livery change'.  :)  The little things were many; dome, chimney, safety valves and so on, already I see details I will have to fix.

I wonder if this will ever appear RTR?

I love that.  I can't recall, off the top of my head, when the middle running plate steps were removed- either late GCR days or early LNER.  The same goes for the tailrods on the cylinders. 

5672889915_be5d21ba03_b.jpg

(Not my image) This is a particularly good clear photograph illustrating. 

Anyhow, can I have two of those please in OO gauge?

• Like 4

Some of these were simples, others compounds. There was just one, number 1090, rebuilt with three (simple) cylinders and Walschaerts valve gear. My grandfather remembered her well.

In GCR days the compounds were first choice - for many years - on the Manchester-Marylebone expresses. I think 4-6-0s were substituted mainly when loads were unusually heavy. In LNER days, when the B17s took over, one Gorton driver insisted on keeping his Atlantic, as he thought it better than a B17 - the intruding creatures didn't last long before they were shipped off to the GER and replaced by pacifics and V2s.

I always rather fancied a model of 1090, but frankly, even if I had one, I'd have no suitable work for her. Nor is this likely to change unless a lottery win enables a move to a much larger property. 

Edited by Poggy1165
  • Like 1

Some of these were simples, others compounds. There was just one, number 1090, rebuilt with three (simple) cylinders and Walschaerts valve gear. My grandfather remembered her well.

In GCR days the compounds were first choice - for many years - on the Manchester-Marylebone expresses. I think 4-6-0s were substituted mainly when loads were unusually heavy. In LNER days, when the B17s took over, one Gorton driver insisted on keeping his Atlantic, as he thought it better than a B17 - the intruding creatures didn't last long before they were shipped off to the GER and replaced by pacifics and V2s.

I always rather fancied a model of 1090, but frankly, even if I had one, I'd have no suitable work for her. Nor is this likely to change unless a lottery win enables a move to a much larger property. 

I've got a compound and a simple.  I did consider doing 1090 as in an odd way it is a nice-looking machine, but that would need to wait until I find another C4/ C5 kit going for a song (and even then it's likely I'd take the view of I've got two so I don't need a third). 

Looking at the photo I posted above, it looks like the engine is posed in front of a breakdown crane.... frustrating as I really want to know what the GC cranes were like!  I've recently bought the D&S 15-ton steam crane and the only photo I can find of one in GC rig is a tiny one in vol.3 of Great Central

I love that.  I can't recall, off the top of my head, when the middle running plate steps were removed- either late GCR days or early LNER.  The same goes for the tailrods on the cylinders. 

5672889915_be5d21ba03_b.jpg

(Not my image) This is a particularly good clear photograph illustrating. 

Anyhow, can I have two of those please in OO gauge?

Thankyou so much James, my resources for exact details of GCR Atlantics are limited, and what a lovely photo that is!

I had not forgotten the running board steps, and had wondered how crew got on board 'up front', presumng that they were simply very athletic, as required by some engine designers.

Where might I find details of the numbering of various GCR express engines? I just guessed 1094 for my picture.

Aren't they the most beautuflly proportioned beasts?

I have taken the liberty of adding steps to my pic.

cheers

Got to the Southampton Model show, a good selection of layouts. 

Just a quick appetiser, I'll post some more later when I sort out the good ones. (Only took 178 photo's and a few videos!!!)

Burntisland

post-3744-0-57382700-1517179763_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Lovely photo,Shadow, excellent!

In the interests of diversity, a quality which I am assured is never wanting here in Castle Aching, I beg the indulgence of the powers which be to educate those who may be wanting in their appreciation of perfect locomotive art, to wit,  this picture.

At the end of steam on the Southern, there was attrition of working locomotives, and after about 1964 any major repair meant withdrawal and scrapping, as we all know. Only two original Light Pacifics survived until the end in 7/1967, one of them was 34006 'Bude', seen here at a, gasp, choke, GWR shed, somewhat earlier, with its sartorially elegant driver posing with an appropriate expression.

post-7929-0-92606400-1517195546_thumb.jpg

I would like also to apologise in advance, I have bought myself an 'as new' 'Butler Henderson' and await the day when the Great Central usurps the Great Northern in accessing the verdant holiday playgrounds of Norfolk, with non-stop through expresses from Manchester to Cromer,  Even though I am told my mother is grand-daughter of a GNR director, this can only be an exaggeration at best, readily discounted by the discerning reader as a fabrication by her elder sister, whom we all know, had airs.

Nice points there...

'Ah much fer yer to do me a couple?!  :jester:

E. Missenden, CBE

Swearing, fumes, burnt fingers, re-soldering for the umpteenth time: Priceless

For everything else, there's MasterCard.

You might want to wait and see if they work!

Every time a person moves into care, or the hereafter, and their lifetime home is sold-on to a new family, a tin of Fluxite is thrown away, because in every must-be-cleared-out shed across the land, there is a tin of it, on a sagging shelf, next to the jar of miscellaneous screws, and the old biscuit tin full of imperial plumbing fittings and round-pin electric plugs.

When the last tin of Fluxite goes, it will be carried ceremoniously to the dump, on a tattered copy of ‘Hobbies Annual’, through an avenue created by frail old men holding aloft pre-electric soldering irons, while a long-former sea scout, in full uniform, plays the theme tune from ‘The Navy Lark’ on a tin whistle. As it is consigned to the tip, over it will be scattered several packets of that grey asbestos dust sold in little boxes by the Rawlplug company.

Possibly.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Yes, the Baker’s liquid acid stuff is much more fun, you can breathe it in, go round all your trains with emery paper cleaning the rust off the wheels and axles, descale the bit before every session, and generally have a whale of a time! Fluxite, piff!

Edited by Northroader

Yes, the Carr’s liquid acid stuff is much more fun, you can breathe it in, go round all your trains with emery paper cleaning the rust off the wheels and axles, descale the bit before every session, and generally have a whale of a time! Fluxite, piff!

post-25673-0-25020100-1517237122.jpg

• Like 2