• RMweb Premium

Yes, the Baker’s liquid acid stuff is much more fun, you can breathe it in, go round all your trains with emery paper cleaning the rust off the wheels and axles, descale the bit before every session, and generally have a whale of a time! Fluxite, piff!

but you miss the fun do you drink the flux instead of the tea by mistake while  impaling  yourself on the naked (yes i said that) Stanley knife blade?  

sorry too  many really nice models are starting to appear   not that I have any doubt CA will be a tour de force

Nick

Edited by nick_bastable

• RMweb Gold

Oh, and the other big plus with the acid is you can spill it!

When Brian Lewis was running C+L he commented that the phosphoric acid supplied to him was marked food grade so I assume you could drink it although probably needs to be diluted. Some of these 'soft drinks' have enough in them to be used as flux if it wasn't for the sugar content.

Don

Phosphoric acid is wonderful stuff.  As well as being a constituent of various colas, it'll dissolve tooth enamel and can be used to selectively reduce the diameter of stainless steel wire!

At least the brand-leading cola stopped incorporating cocaine in its formula in 1904........

Who is this Hamilton-Ellis fellow?

Have him sent to my office immediately for severe caning.  He got a rivet wrong.

Oh I don't know. 

This is evidently a picture of C Class number 5, a Sharp Stewart build of 1894.

She is a little out of period in this condition for CA.  She features the Whittaker tablet exchange apparatus forward on the tender side, which was fitted 1907-1908. 

She should sport the 1903 Midland lamp iron arrangement, and the picture certainly does not show the previous arrangement, but if I am not mistaken, there should be an iron in the centre of the buffer beam, which I do not see. 

The most significant visual change was the fitting of a Deeley extended smoke box to the original Johnson 'slim' boiler. Hamilton Ellis represents the Deeley chimney, which had a pronounced capuchin not found on the original chimneys. The dished smoke-box door seems to have been retained, and Essery features a picture of No.46 with an extended smoke-box and dished door. 

The extended smoke-boxes were fitted sporadically to class members from 1907, but in the case of No.5, the alteration dates from 1911.

This seems broadly consistent with the stock.  Significant numbers of relatively modern GNR 6-wheelers were drafted in in 1903, and this shot shows a uniformity of appearance that was perhaps not so characteristic just a few years before.

No.5 is in the standardised livery common from 1900, which appears to have continued unaltered in the Cs, save for details affecting those rebuilt with H or G7 class boilers, until 1929, when brown was introduced.

So, potentially the picture represents No.5 in service 1911-1928, though, if you can be sure of such a detail in the painting, the apparent absence of Midland 2" brass power classification "1" in the case of the C Class - on the upper cab side-sheet, would revise that range to 1911-1923. 

• Like 1

Cuthbert Hamilton-Ellis seems to have gone to great pains to get the details in his paintings correct, but it would be a miracle if he was able to 'nail' every single point.

He seems to have been one of that breed of railwayac that barely exists any longer, and my favourite thing that I've read about him was how he had a bash at being an espionage agent at the outbreak of WW2. He tried to gather information about German logistical support train movements through Switzerland and seems to have made a total cods of it, and was evidently distracted by model train shops, because he mentions in one of his books seeing a Hornby Dubo A4 on sale.

I've got an inkling that he lived somewhere near the SECR at Knockholt, so if The Other Layout takes off, Edwardian can probably justify having a model of him, with easel, on the station (actually, I reckon he worked at home, from photos and a good knowledge of liveries, looking at the style).

PS: thinking further, since he wasn't born until 1909, he can't appear on The Other Layout, except, perhaps, as a twinkle in his parents' eyes.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 5

Cuthbert Hamilton-Ellis seems to have gone to great pains to get the details in his paintings correct, but it would be a miracle if he was able to 'nail' every single point.

He seems to have been one of that breed of railwayac that barely exists any longer, and my favourite thing that I've read about him was how he had a bash at being an espionage agent at the outbreak of WW2. He tried to gather information about German logistical support train movements through Switzerland and seems to have made a total cods of it, and was evidently distracted by model train shops, because he mentions in one of his books seeing a Hornby Dubo A4 on sale.

I've got an inkling that he lived somewhere near the SECR at Knockholt, so if The Other Layout takes off, Edwardian can probably justify having a model of him, with easel, on the station (actually, I reckon he worked at home, from photos and a good knowledge of liveries, looking at the style).

PS: thinking further, since he wasn't born until 1909, he can't appear on The Other Layout, except, perhaps, as a twinkle in his parents' eyes.

Can't see how that personal "twinkle" feature could be modelled... perhaps a challenge for the parishioners for the upcoming Vallentine's Day?

Can't see how that personal "twinkle" feature could be modelled... perhaps a challenge for the parishioners for the upcoming Vallentine's Day?

Well, I suspect the running period of the Other Layout will be fairly generous, and extend up to at least 1914, so it is just possible that a lad of very tender years spotting an L Class on a down Hastings express might be the Young Cuthbert on the run from the Nursery!

Meanwhile, up North, the snow has started again and the sheep are not impressed:

post-25673-0-19662200-1517403081_thumb.jpg

Who is this Hamilton-Ellis fellow?

Have him sent to my office immediately for severe caning.  He got a rivet wrong.

What rivet?  Its as smooth as a...  ummm... thing that is very smooth!

Enough of that, we can't have any twinkling going on here!

And finally, Mr Ed.

Congrats - glad to think we've been able to drive you to the modelling bench, if only to get away from all the rambling here!

• RMweb Premium

As a teenager I recall browsing through a book on "Naive Painters" in the library. When I came across one of Hamilton Ellis's paintings in its pages I felt utterly affronted on the artist's behalf at his being classified as such.

Nowadays I'm apt to see the point.

As a teenager I recall browsing through a book on "Naive Painters" in the library. When I came across one of Hamilton Ellis's paintings in its pages I felt utterly affronted on the artist's behalf at his being classified as such.

Nowadays I'm apt to see the point.

That's 'cos it can't be "art" if it's clear enough to spot the rivets!

post-25673-0-11996300-1517406779_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I’m a big fan of Hamilton Ellis. He and his wife lived at Ouzelwood, Ewell, Surrey, and he was editor of “Modern Transport” 1930-50ish. Because of this connection he designed the shipping pavilion at the 1951 Festival of Britain. He added the “Hamilton” to his name to acknowledge a Scottish family relation who was his benefactor.