Just to try and cheer things up a bit, looks like spring is here.

Taken yesterday afternoon in the garden

attachicon.gifDSC02122.JPG

and also congratulations on 300 pages!!!

Thanks, Bud!

See what I did there?

Anyway, how's life at Little Dunmow?  Haven't seen any updates for a while.

Yep, Spring is sprung.  And if you want to know where the birdies is, the Jackdaws are nesting in next-doors chimney pots again!

The most amusing thing about the jackdaws is that they hang onto the fatball feeder in the garden and pretend to be bluetits.....

I'll have to try and get a snap of them one day!

• Like 2

Thanks, Bud!

See what I did there?

Anyway, how's life at Little Dunmow?  Haven't seen any updates for a while.

Unfortunately, the boxes of "enthusiasm" and "life normality" were emptied last year and failed to be delivered by Santa at Xmas. The remaining bottles of mojo juice are down to the last few drops as well.

Hopefully time this weekend to go to Southampton model show and get some refills.

Thanks for asking.

• RMweb Premium

Yep, Spring is sprung.  And if you want to know where the birdies is, the Jackdaws are nesting in next-doors chimney pots again!

The most amusing thing about the jackdaws is that they hang onto the fatball feeder in the garden and pretend to be bluetits.....

I'll have to try and get a snap of them one day!

Spring is sprung, the grass is ris'

I wonder where the lawnmower is?

Maybe I’m the only man in England who would say this, but I thoroughly enjoyed school, and it didn’t stand me in bad stead. To me, school was like a sort of cheery social club with the odd lesson thrown in. The worst that could be said of the teachers was that one or two were a bit burned-out; many were very good indeed, and had a sense of humour. I did rather annoy my father by leaving as soon as the law permitted, because I wanted to be ‘in the real world’. School was very good, but I sort of felt as if I’d grown out of it.

My elder daughter had A Bad Experience of secondary school, though. The particular one that she attended was just too unstructured for her, and her confidence suffered.

Young son and daughter seem to be being very well served by primary school, so far. Although small daughter is not a fast reader, that isn’t for want of kind and careful trying by the teachers. I do ever-so-slightly dread their Secondary Years, though. We have some very good schools, and some distinctly average ones, locally, and a school can flip from one to the other with a change of staff.

Besides massive variability, amounting to a postcode lottery, the other fault with state education right now, IMHO, is the Gove English Curriculum. For anyone not closely acquainted with it, it puts huge, disproportionate, emphasis on formal grammar. For the life of me I cannot see the point of it. Yes, writing logically and clearly is good, and writing clearly fosters thinking clearly, but the Country is short of qualified engineers, not qualified split-infinitive pedants.

(For the avoidance of doubt, this rant is not over ........ just temporarily suspended.)

Well, you and me both  as I really enjoyed school (state grammar then comprehensive 6th Form ) in the 1970s and early 1980s - having an inspirational physics teacher who had had a hand in inventing laser technology certainly helped !

Unfortunately, the boxes of "enthusiasm" and "life normality" were emptied last year and failed to be delivered by Santa at Xmas. The remaining bottles of mojo juice are down to the last few drops as well.

Hopefully time this weekend to go to Southampton model show and get some refills.

Thanks for asking.

Some kind Souls here once told me not to feel guilty about lack of motivation, to take a break, or model something else.

I found as a result that three battalions of Spanish Napoleonic infantry qualified as the change that is as good as a rest.  I feel like doing something similar now, but feel I should try to finish the track first!

Real Life can be a huge distraction.  And perhaps should be.  I feel I should probably think more about the people in my private life than about the trains in my cupboard.

Also, I sense that many of us have demons as well, which does not help when motivation is required.  The older I get and the further from Indestructible Youth I journey, the more Demons seem to appear, both of the external tangible kind and the purely psychological.  I begin to fear that I shall soon be entirely surrounded and, thus, unable to move at all!

So, whatever it was that emptied those boxes, I hope you at least aren't too hard on yourself concerning lack of recent progress. I think Little Dunmow is a great layout, and it still will be whenever  you feel like picking up with it again.

I rust you will enjoy Southampton.  If it features one of those increasingly rare beasts, a pre-Grouping layout, it would be great if you could take a few snaps and post them in the layout topic here. 

Anyway, I have a way to go to buck myself up and dust down my own mojo before I impose advice upon others, and this morning I am telling myself:

Those who beset him round with dismal stories 

Do but themselves confound, his strength the more is.

• Like 2

All this talk of lost mojos is most provoking.

At present, scattered about the house are semi-completed 4mm, O16.5 and two Cakebox challenge layouts demanding attention and NOT GETTING IT.  even the complete basic roundy for testing new locos is going backwards in terms of scenery!

My mojo is not so much lost, as left the building.....

I've even tried looking down the side of the sofa cushions, and I couldn't find any there!

post-21933-0-09462000-1516880353.jpg

Just saw this video and if you thought that learning English was hard!!!!

Barbel's bar serves beer at barbarian's barbershop & the barbarians went to get their beards cut at the barber that serves barbel's beer after stopping at Barbara's cake bar

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Having been busy I have just found time to catch up and actually post.

One comment about schools going to a posh grammer school it was thought the teachers might be a higher standard maybe they had better qualifications but any that had been there a while were madder than a box of frogs

probably driven made by clever devious young minds. The star prize goes to the latin teacher who's idea of teaching was that we should translate (either way) one sentence at a time from the book and then queue up to have it checked. Enjoying the nicotine hit as he chain smoked all through the lesson. Once checked we would go on to the next.

On a more topical note. If you can take a look at Model Railway Journal issue 260 should be in WHS now page 31 The first page of Laurie Adams article on point rodding. The photograph is of a splendid tandem turnout in 2mm with double traps between the first and second set of blades wonderfully modeled. 

Don

Sir,

One can not be having this! A whole day, and no posts on the Castle Aching segment of this public information forum, not even an on-topic (Whatever that means - could some kind chap please interpret, I would be most obliged.) one... I am truely shocked.

Good Day to you Sir,

Eusless. Mis-Senden

Sir,

One can not be having this! A whole day, and no posts on the Castle Aching segment of this public information forum, not even an on-topic (Whatever that means - could some kind chap please interpret, I would be most obliged.) one... I am truely shocked.

Good Day to you Sir,

Eusless. Mis-Senden

Nothing to interpret!  There are posts now, you've seen to that!

Perhaps it's market day in Achingham and everyone's gone there?

Jim

Sir,

Good Day to you Sir,

Eusless. Mis-Senden

I too have been bemused by the incipient torpor of spirit which pervades these pages, and have the perfect antidote, a complete departure from anything to do with the subject at hand, whatever that may be.

The answer, Sir, lies with the Great Central Railway and its proposed extension into North Norfolk, using high-powered superheated express engines of the latest design, with a through carriage to the scenic wonderland that is Caister-on-Sea on alternate Sundays. 

Here then is the locomotive.  The driver is Lord Kitchener.  Nothing less will do.

post-7929-0-88675500-1517073332_thumb.jpg

p.s. the grouping took place when I wasn't looking, your honour.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 6