• RMweb Gold

the LRM kit looks remarkably like one of the carriages of which I have photos, but as far as I know is 4mm. Other carriages look a bit different and i suspect that they were from various original sources.

If we actually make sufficient progress i might start a thread. But it would be a good idea if I made some progress on my own layout.

Jonathan

The LR etches are shot down from a larger size available from Mercian, but unfortunately they appear to be in 1 Guage. So either too small or too big for you. Maybe you can get them resized, as the etches appear to be identical.

Also available in 7mm from Meteor Models. I've built a couple on my Taddington thread.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Our sheep-farming neighbour's considered opinion of the species:

Sheep are born to die

That is true of all creatures including us. The only thing that matters is what you do between being birth and death. We think they just much grass in fields but for all we know they may have fathomed out all the secrets of the universe being by nature great philosophers. Perhaps the answer to everything is not 42 but Baaa.  Works for me.

Don

ps having lived in the Forest of Dean with free roaming sheep there is a lot more to them than you think. Although some are kamikaze crossing the road right in front of your car

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You've watched too much Shaun the Sheep 

Vet friend flagged down by a couple who had just run over a sheep.  Well, he just bent over and did for it,  and on carrying it off to his car for disposal, had to keep reassuring stunned couple that, yes, it would be fine.  

Do not on any account admit to running over a sheep in the forest of dean they mau be free roaming but are all owned ( some sheep may dispute this) and you will probably get a biil from the sheep badger.

Don

• RMweb Gold

On the real thing, the Cleminson or similar arrangements were very much the exception - only used on lines with unusually sharp curves. Of course we modellers usually have unusually sharp curves... 

Rather wordy notices! In an emergency, not only does the passenger have to lower the droplight and reach for the cord but also to have the presence of mind to do so on the right hand side facing forward!

While I can understand wanting to discourage throwing bottles out of a moving train, I've been on enough trains where there's been a loose bottle rolling around the carriage floor to think that "take your rubbish home" is better advice.

It might well be better advice but perhaps they knew the response of their customers. Weren't there money back on most bottle in those days could be a good haul sometimes

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Why do you think Norfolk has all those enormous churches? Certainly not pigs.

Jonathan

Sadly all those churches were built 600 to 1000 years ago, although there is record of a railway being built in the time of Elizabeth the first ( wooden rails from a quarry down To a river) the castle aching railway was built at a time of rural poverty as more and more food imports came from round the world, undercutting UK farming.

Sadly all those churches were built 600 to 1000 years ago, although there is record of a railway being built in the time of Elizabeth the first ( wooden rails from a quarry down To a river) the castle aching railway was built at a time of rural poverty as more and more food imports came from round the world, undercutting UK farming.

I'm trying to remember (Ah yes it was Alec Clifton Taylor, the Ten English Towns TV man) gesticulating to camera somewhere adjacent to the A 11 across Thetford Heath about how this Heath is the nearest tract of land to desert in England and was caused by overgrazing to supply the Flemish wool trade.

dh

I'm trying to remember (Ah yes it was Alec Clifton Taylor, the Ten English Towns TV man) gesticulating to camera somewhere adjacent to the A 11 across Thetford Heath about how this Heath is the nearest tract of land to desert in England and was caused by overgrazing to supply the Flemish wool trade.

dh

Six,

then another six,

possibly six more. Can't remember.

“Why do you think Norfolk has all those enormous churches? Certainly not pigs.”

This had me deeply confused for a minute, as imagined an ovine congregation, then a porcine one.

Psalm 23?

K

The Lord is my Swineherd?!?

For pigs, the only reference I can think of is that old Norfolk valentines rhyme recounted by Sid and Henry Kipper:

Age before beauty,

Pearls before a swine,

Forty years before the mast,

How long before I’m yours?

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The big mediaeval churches were built on the prosperity of sheep farming, but not so as everyone was stuffing down lamb burgers or mutton stew, but because the sheep were producing wool over their lifetime for the clothing trade.

P.s. that rhyme reminds me of:

“Thirty days hath November,

all the rest eat strawberry jam,

except my granny,

who buys her motorbike,

from NEARHOLMER motors”

Edited by Northroader

• RMweb Gold

The days when fortunes could be made from Wool are long gone. These days the wool is hardly worth the price of shearing. However sheep farming usually involves the disposal of a lot of ram lambs which just eat grass the ewes could eat. One ram is sufficient to service a good number of ewes. So I imagine a lot of Monks were eating Lamb fairly regularly and once the monasteries were disbanded the meat was probably sold. Mind you the poor probably didn't have roast lamb. Mutton Stew made with scrag end is about right .

Don 

• RMweb Premium

The big mediaeval churches were built on the prosperity of sheep farming, but not so as everyone was stuffing down lamb burgers or mutton stew, but because the sheep were producing wool over their lifetime for the clothing trade.

P.s. that rhyme reminds me of:

“Thirty days hath November,

all the rest eat strawberry jam,

except my granny,

who buys her motorbike,

from NEARHOLMER motors”

Two of my Grandad's favourites:

"If it takes a man a week to run a fortnight, how many apples in a bunch of grapes?"

"I see, said the blind man as he took up his wheel and spoke"

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifhC_0134.jpg

Pointing in all directions. Make of that what you will.

Nigel

More than likely depends on the weather.  That looks like a calm fine day, but if the wind was blowing fiercely they'd be all standing with their fundaments windward.  I'm of the random facing school myself when it comes to placing sheep on a layout because every day on my layouts is fine and lovely.  G1dDhSj.png

Edited by Annie
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

With regards to sheep coming from the Highlands to Norfolk, I'm not so sure that they would... The HR traffic for sheep was mainly internal, the sheep moving from winter to summer grazing and vice-versa (the return journey being free!). I guess some would have moved externally, but I'm guessing it wouldn't have been many.

Although it would give you a good excuse to run a couple of HR sheep wagons (Yes they had sheep wagons and cattle wagons, the sheep wagons being double decked to get more in per wagon. Early wagons by Jones and Drummond: http://www.lochgormkits.co.uk/html/page_5_wagons.html   Later Drummond ones:http://www.invertrain.com/detail.php?item=3979 )

Andy G

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Those sheep wagons are certainly interesting and would be a fun subject for a model.  One of the Australian railways had some that were just about direct copies of those.  Did any of the English railways use sheep wagons?  I've only ever seen photos of Scottish ones.

!9th Century NSWGR sheep wagon.

HB744bQ.jpg

Edited by Annie
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I did read of cattle wagons that could be fitted with an intermediate floor to carry sheep, I have an inkling that might have been the Highland railway.

Ah ... they had specially designed ones as well.. http://www.invertrain.com/detail.php?item=3979

• RMweb Premium

Its a shame that the Drummond one isn't available as a kit, I've started to scratchbuild a side and end, and hopefully they will be good enough to cast so that I can have a fairly sizable fleet of them (The HR had hundreds of the things, and they often ran as block trains..)

The Jones one is an interesting exercise in soldering, and its taken me two years to get one made, out of a Christmas haul of 7....

Andy G

• Like 3

In one of my ancient magazines, 1920s I think, there is a scratchbuild of one of those wire-bar sheep wagons in 0, and anyone who thinks timescale modelling is a new idea should see it. Absolutely beautiful workmanship, pin-precise, all in hardwood and brass wire.

• Like 4