RMweb

Gretna 1915, though that was the result of a combination of circumstances (like most major accidents).

Jim

For a fully documented example of an incident of this sort in the modern age, Piper Alpha. A major disaster caused by accumulated failings of development of the rig over time, triggered by a systemic failure of the Permit To Work and shift hand-over system. The earlier Alexander Kielland disaster was caused by poor design (stress cracks spreading over time from a hydrophone port which was not part of the original structure) and greatly exacerbated by lack of clear chains of decision-making.

Both included key decisions which were clearly wrong in hindsight, but were taken by experienced supervisors acting within the definitions and limitations of their roles.

Edited by rockershovel

https://norfolk.spydus.co.uk/cgi-bin/spydus.exe/MSGTRN/PICNOR/HOME?HOMEPRMS=NORPICPARAMS

Been looking on the Norfolk Picture Library site again!

#65 is Stoke Ferry, railway station and National Poultry Organization Society premises. The NPOS are using a grounded coach as their premises at the station.

Worth looking if you've got the time!

Truly magnificent!

I must have a West Gloucestershire/Forest of Dean NPOS branch headquarters on my layout!

Perhaps we all need to show solidarity for properly (and nationally!) organized poulty by each modelling our local branch office on our model railways?

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 2

Extract from Jan 1899 edition of "The Land Magazine"

Last year a similar society was formed in England,

but confining its attention to poultry, called the National

Poultry Organisation Society, under the Presidency of the

Viscountess Cranborne. The objects of these two bodies

are to help producers to find a market for their eggs and

poultry, and to organise local combination, which will

stimulate and direct the trade.

Also found this in an article,

"There was also advice on offer from agricultural colleges, expert salesmen, and, as in America, in 1910 in south Wales, a ‘poultry demonstration train’, in this case run by The Agricultural Organisation Society and Edward Brown’s National Poultry Organisation Society"

The first Fast Food outlet!

This was the infancy of modern farming using scientific methods. It brought us to where we are today, which may be a good thing for humans but a less good thing for all the animals, fish, birds and insects whose natural habitats have been affected by industrialised farming.

Also found this in an article,

"There was also advice on offer from agricultural colleges, expert salesmen, and, as in America, in 1910 in south Wales, a ‘poultry demonstration train’, in this case run by The Agricultural Organisation Society and Edward Brown’s National Poultry Organisation Society"

The first Fast Food outlet!

Article from the Llanelly Star for 26th March 1910:

post-26141-0-42860300-1544971996_thumb.png

Pete.

Edited by K14
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

"Wonder who the old carriage had belonged to?"

Mr G Peggotty, cousin of the better known Yarmouth fisherman, a Guard on the West Norfolk Railway, who lived out his retirement in it, before the NPOS took it over.

Possibly.

post-26540-0-53660800-1544977297_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

Years ago, in Newark, I came across a shop front with, emblazoned in gold across the window, the title "The British Rabbit Council".

Naturally, in those pre-internet days, and having no interest in rabbits (either eating or owning), I assumed it was a branch of some sort of organisation that assisted those who bred rabbits for commercial purposes, and there it lay at the back of my strangely organised mind!

Anyhow, I remembered it with this chat about rural industry so I thought it would be an amusing anecdote, only to find that the place I had seen IS the headquarters of fancy rabbit fanciers in the UK! 

Oh well.....

• Like 2

"Miss Stepney has been invited to amuse the presidency of the Llanelly and County Canine Society"...

Also described in the l/h column as "The Mistress of the Dell", wanting to be a "Guardian".

Some sort of Miss Whiplash?

• RMweb Premium

Also described in the l/h column as "The Mistress of the Dell", wanting to be a "Guardian".

Some sort of Miss Whiplash?

Aha! The word was "assume" not "amuse"!

"Of Mr Pugh, we have only to say that he is as good a Guardian as he is a Labour representative". Now that does sound like a carefully loaded remark designed to avoid an action for libel...

Edited by Compound2632

Aha! The word was "assume" not "amuse"!

"Of Mr Pugh, we have only to say that he is as good a Guardian as he is a Labour representative". Now that does sound like a carefully loaded remark designed to avoid an action for libel...

Spoilsport.

I move that we accept the first reading.  Much more scurrilous, allegedly....

Pugh, eh?  A member of the Fire Brigade, perchance?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the poster reminds me of reading that through into the future of the early 1960's, there were people living near Norwich in upturned Norfolk Wherry hulls..