• RMweb Premium

Miss Stepney holidaying at Eastbourne, early 1880s? The photo may have been taken in Eastbourne but the boat and bucket and spade are undoubtedly studio props - no sand on her aristocratic feet.

post-29416-0-37914300-1545172640_thumb.jpg

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

Well I was just watching Elizabethan Express...

"His was the skill, his the hands

That uncoupled her rods, stripped her gear, packed her glands.

With his firm skilful hands.

And the boy was one of that servicing crew,

Who gave care and craft to each thread on each screw.

And made it fit true.

They are the fitters, the men with the cunning, 

To bring through each big end and piston, valve spindle and spring.

All that power and swing!"

Probably not best to go up to a Lady (People might start asking questions if I say a Silver Fox in this case 60017...)  and ask if you can strip her gear and pack her glands... :O

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 2

Well I was just watching Elizabethan Express...

"His was the skill, his the hands

That uncoupled her rods, stripped her gear, packed her glands.

With his firm skilful hands.

And the boy was one of that servicing crew,

Who gave care and craft to each thread on each screw.

And made it fit true.

They are the fitters, the men with the cunning, 

To bring through each big end and piston, valve spindle and spring.

All that power and swing!"

Probably not best to go up to a Lady (People might start asking questions if I say a Silver Fox in this case 60017...)  and ask if you can strip her gear and pack her glands... :O

Almost as laboured as:

This is the Night Mail

Crossing the Border

Carryng the cheque

And the postal order...

Night Mail was on "Talking Pictures" (Freeview Ch81) this evening at 19:35.

We won't mentioned the shouted factoids, Brittens dreadful squeaks and groans or that the same Crab turned up twice at Crewe, the second time allegedly with the Holyhead Mail.   There were some odd rosterings on the West Coast Main Line that night, I definitely saw the tops of GWR boilers in places they shouldn't be!

Compound

She was painted by Millais at a similar age.

(Which could mean at least three things, I think.)

Kevin

He was certainly quite precocious.

(But completely unable to say supercalifragilisticexpialidocious)

Why, did you think I'd disappeared, Mr Keane?

Hang on... I thought it was unanimously agreed that Stepney (The LBSCR Locomotive) is male?!

hqdefault.jpg

Do you have a link to that Mr Hroth or is it not online?

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

What!  We'll have no male Terriers around here thank you very much.  Nasty little leg h*****g things.

My perception of the universe is dashed.  All this time I've thought that the TtTE 'Stepney' was female.  Oh woe is me, - how shall I continue...........

Edited by Annie
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Aah! Missenden, There you are, now whats all this harping on about a young Miss Stepney?

attachicon.gifreceived_301777260679458.jpeg

ooh look a Lochgorm tank.

post-15969-0-18687800-1545202371_thumb.jpg

ps a picture from petesworkshop.blogspot.com, a wonderful piece of workmanship.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 7

Why, did you think I'd disappeared, Mr Keane?

Hang on... I thought it was unanimously agreed that Stepney (The LBSCR Locomotive) is male?!

hqdefault.jpg

Do you have a link to that Mr Hroth or is it not online?

Look at the height of the buffers on Thomas. The thing about the Bachmann Thomas is that its impossible to couple to the front.  Graphic designers don't understand the concept of running bunker-first.  Or shunting!

ALL locomotives are female.  Its a fact of life!

Look at the height of the buffers on Thomas. The thing about the Bachmann Thomas is that its impossible to couple to the front.  Graphic designers don't understand the concept of running bunker-first.  Or shunting!

ALL locomotives are female.  Its a fact of life!

It's not graphic design, its barbary!

But, somehow I don't think they'll take that on-board

Try teaching that "ALL locomotives are female" to a 6 year old... :D

Edited by Narrowgaugebeginner

• RMweb Premium

Crikey.  Even with the holidays coming up, I may now never catch up with this topic.

There was some great stuff, including shipping.

My first Norfolk-inspired idea was for a very decayed coastal railway running diminutive 0-4-0STs along the top of sea defences on the north Norfolk coast.  The line would have run to a partially silted up harbour, capable only of accommodating shallow-draft sailing vessels. This idea was inspired by visits to Burnham Overy Staithe.

Well, ultimately the idea became Birchoverham Staithe on the West Norfolk Railway, though I still hanker over that decrepit little coastal line.

Then I built those Castle Acre inspired cottage backs and I found myself modelling Castle Aching, and the opposite end of the line! 

So, the shipping pictured seems perfect for the imagined Expanded Norfolk.

Anyhow, I have been flat out and still have more work to get through than there are working days before Christmas! 

The Eric Ambler novel proved a very good investment, by the way. 

With my Newfound Wealth, I have ordered a louvred chimney pot from Scalelink for the Drill Hall.  Such extravagance!

EDIT: PS, Don't know about Wombats, but I do know that there is nothing that a Wompom cannot do!

Somehow the layouts I build these days end up with a wharf of some kind somewhere.  Coastal railways are a lot of fun and lend excuses for all kinds of traffic as well as interesting locomotives.  Definitely an idea worth revisiting James.

Christmas is an unusual session.  Seemingly everyone rushes about with tasks that are demanded to be urgently done before Christmas and then after Christmas, usually once the bills come through the post, everyone urgently rushes around with more tasks that must be done!  I have nothing at all against Christmas, but when I was still working as a social worker it always had me very much astounded that a 'season of good cheer' could cause so much stress and misery to the human populace at large.   As a good Franciscan I keep my Christmases very simple and entirely non-commercial and I don't stress out over anything.  I can very much recommend it.

So James I hope your pre-Christmas workload won't overwhelm you and that you will have time over Christmas to simply relax and do nothing in particular.  Your house is sold and hopefully the Black Dog is now shot and buried so it is my hope that from now on life will be much kinder to you.  All blessings and joy to you and your family this Christmas.

Edited by Annie
  • Like 2

They are prone to shrinkage

5986273F-5EF4-4757-89E4-A216D8C577CD.jpeg

Adorable. Looks a little like this idea I came up with on my miscellaneous concepts thread. Wow, I've not thought about that thread for months.

And one for my good friend sem34090:

Pug variant 3.png

I actually quite like this. Might send it to him as a genuine suggestion for his own work.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 2

What!  We'll have no male Terriers around here thank you very much.  Nasty little leg h*****g things.

My perception of the universe is dashed.  All this time I've thought that the TtTE 'Stepney' was female.  Oh woe is me, - how shall I continue...........

Annie, you raise a valid point there!

Perhaps we'll never know? Though I vaguely recall Stepney being referred to as he in The Railway Series it could simply be that the Reverend made an oversight in presuming the locomotive's gender?