1 minute ago, Nearholmer said:

Back to biscuits for a moment, because the H&P collection is such a wonderful resource, in the mid-ground of this one, behind the cattle wagons, there is an entire village of crate-stacks http://www.huntleyandpalmers.org.uk/ixbin/hixclient.exe?a=query&p=huntley&f=generic_largerimage.htm&_IXFIRST_=1&_IXMAXHITS_=1&t=rm-rm-factory_content2&%3dcms_con_core_identifier=rm-ru-hpos272c~u_034-i-00-000.tif&s=9n9I85glEge

These would be dead easy to make as models in the Beal-style, by making shallow saw cuts in a block of timber, and draping a bit of old bedsheet over it. I'm thinking that maybe my imaginary glue factory might have used crates on deposit.

Or, perhaps, even in those far off distant days, the factory management frowned on smoking in the workplace (Lavender biscuits are all very well, but fag-ash biscuits would be deprecated) and thus the workers erected shelters on unoccupied patches of land to have their lunch, smoke and play cards in...

• RMweb Premium

Definitely empty crate storage:

174202034_HPsiteplanextract.jpg.4ff6212fbadfdd57c518870dab83c82c.jpg

This is an extract from a fire service mains plan, showing the area of interest with the curved sidings - the photographer is near the exit from the tunnel under the South Eastern line. This plan is dated 1903 but then there's a list of revisions up to 1911 and someone's bothered to bring it up-to-date again post-grouping. 

My attention had previously been focused on the left-hand side of this photo; looking at it now I'm struck by the Huntley & Palmers No Trespassing notice and (in the light of the acquisition of Southern Wagons Vol. 1) the string of LSWR cattle wagons in the SER sidings.

Note also the extensive coal stacking ground served by three kick-back sidings. A large part of the Huntley & Palmers site was given over to the tinplate works, part of which can be seen on the plan.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 8

Re: Coal stacks or 'byngs'. In addition to a possible 'anti-theft' function, I think I have read somewhere that the whitewashing of coal stacks also had a preservative effect. By reflecting more sunlight it slowed the heating/expansion/contraction of the coal, and this also slowed it's decay into a hard-to-use-on-a-steam-locomotive dust.

I will try to remember where I read this.

(I don't think that Mr Robinson and the GCR tried exposure to solar radiation in their pulverised coal experiments!)

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I don't know the effect of sunlight but the Taff Vale Railway did some experiments with coal which had been submerged in the sea for a period after missing the hold of the ship into which it was being tipped.

Probably not a major issue at CA.

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On page660 (11 Feb )  ... ( I do miss the old post numbering system!), I noted that coal stacks were also used in the foundry industry . There is a photograph of hand unloading at Ley's foundry in Derby showing the yard gang carrying individual lumps from the wagon using a plank between the wagon side door and the coal pile / stack.

I believe that the glass plate negative is in Derby Museum "local studies" section which seems to be currently closed due to lack of cash! 

i don't know whether transfer was effected by a one-man-one-lump to stack, with choreographed  movement patterns, or by passing the lumps hand to hand along a line of labourers.

Edited by DonB
correcting paragraph spacing.
  • Informative/Useful 2

Can I recommend 'Backtrack' this month (March 2019 edition)?

It contains two good 'independent railway' articles, one about the Midland and South Western Junction, the other about the Maryport & Carlisle, which was definitely a prosperous cousin of the WNR, plus an article by Bob Essery about the 'Dewsbury Midland' layout, which is used as the means to explain the workings of a typical pre-grouping goods facility.

Edited by Nearholmer
Spellchecker messing things up!
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

And may I take the opportunity to recommend the book (vol 1 of 2) 'Operating the Caledonian Railway' that has just been published by Lightmoor Press?

This 1st vol is really the background to operating, dealing with things like staff, the infrastructure of running a railway, couplings, marshalling yards, shunting, Royal Trains etc, with the meaty day to day running in the awaited 2nd vol.

Andy G

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

9 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Can I recommend 'Backtrack' this month (March 2019 edition)?

It contains two good 'independent railway' articles, one about the Midland and South Western Junction, the other about the Maryport & Carlisle, which was definitely a prosperous cousin of the WNR, plus an article by Bob Essery about the 'Dewsbury Midland' layout, which is used as the means to explain the workings of a typical pre-grouping goods facility.

9 hours ago, uax6 said:

And may I take the opportunity to recommend the book (vol 1 of 2) 'Operating the Caledonian Railway' that has just been published by Lightmoor Press?

This 1st vol is really the background to operating, dealing with things like staff, the infrastructure of running a railway, couplings, marshalling yards, shunting, Royal Trains etc, with the meaty day to day running in the awaited 2nd vol.

Andy G

Thanks, both.

Learning how the WNR was run will become very important - once the WNR is running, of course!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Learning how the WNR was run will become very important - once the WNR is running, of course!

I am facing the same issues in my universe. I think I need to have all the track wired up and working with trains on it before I can work out how it will be operated. I've sat for hours staring at spreadsheets and scribbled back-of-envelope timetables to no avail. I am discovering that I'm one of those people who needs to stand there with the locos and stock and sidings in front of me before I'm able to get clued in to what's involved.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Just now, Martin S-C said:

I am facing the same issues in my universe. I think I need to have all the track wired up and working with trains on it before I can work out how it will be operated. I've sat for hours staring at spreadsheets and scribbled back-of-envelope timetables to no avail. I am discovering that I'm one of those people who needs to stand there with the locos and stock and sidings in front of me before I'm able to get clued in to what's involved.

Very much me too.  I have an idea of the traffic and the type of services in outline, but that's all.  Signalling the station, that'll be the thing.

This morning I turned to Annie's pastoral idyll to ease my aching heart, then I spent some time this morning trying to find pictures of our senior dog, a goofy giant of a Labrador, so that my wife could post them on Facebook to announce him missing.  

He disappeared around 7 last night.  When he escapes, he never goes anywhere save to visit his girlfriend at the next farm.  We either catch him quite quickly or he wanders back in an hour or so.  This time, we failed to find him and he failed to return. We were up to the wee small hours searching and calling - I have had very little sleep - but to no avail.

When by mid-morning he had still not returned and still could not be found, all possible routes to locating him having been alerted, I began to despair. I then received a call from the farm next door.  I suspect he was confused in the dark and decided to stay/return to where he was.  He seems to have slept over in the cowshed.  What our neighbour's cows thought of this they were not letting on.

After a good drink, he seemed fine, indeed, he is now occupying our bed in a relaxed posture and carefree attitude, as if nothing whatsoever had happened. Git.

And that's my morning at work written off.

So, here's to you, you great s*dding b*gger of a dog. Glad you're back.

ALIM2605 - Copy.JPG

• Friendly/supportive 16

Just now, Martin S-C said:

Pets eh? We love 'em and despair of 'em in equal measure. You could hang a cellphone off his collar and ask him to ring you if he's going to be a dirty stop-out.

Hard enough to train my son to do that!

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

By using the word 'train' in your posts does not make them on-topic sir!

You can get tracking chips for pets now although the cheapie option is to hang it from his collar but that's of little use if the collar comes off. The much more expensive option is the medical one. Costly, yes, but very much worth it for a much-loved animal.

• Informative/Useful 1

49 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

By using the word 'train' in your posts does not make them on-topic sir!

You can get tracking chips for pets now although the cheapie option is to hang it from his collar but that's of little use if the collar comes off. The much more expensive option is the medical one. Costly, yes, but very much worth it for a much-loved animal.

i'll look into that.  He has, still, at age 11, wanderlust and the force is strong in this one. 

35 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Seems a tad Orwellian to do that to a Son, but as mine now seems to be hurtling from decent childhood into premature taciturn teenagehood, it is certainly worth banking as an idea for the future.

Well, of course,he is the Big Brother in our nuclear familiy. 

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

ALIM2605 - Copy.JPG

Look deep into my eyes.  You will not chip me.  look deep into my eyes.  You will not..........

40 minutes ago, Hroth said:

It could be worth looking to see if your vet could offer a buy one, get one half price deal on tracker chips....

Muahahaha!!!!!

BB BB BB BB!!!!!!!!!

Is that  a BOGOF deal your thinking of?  One for the dog and one for the son?  :lol:

Jim 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

He disappeared around 7 last night.  When he escapes, he never goes anywhere save to visit his girlfriend at the next farm.  We either catch him quite quickly or he wanders back in an hour or so.  This time, we failed to find him and he failed to return. We were up to the wee small hours searching and calling - I have had very little sleep - but to no avail.

When by mid-morning he had still not returned and still could not be found, all possible routes to locating him having been alerted, I began to despair. I then received a call from the farm next door.  I suspect he was confused in the dark and decided to stay/return to where he was.  He seems to have slept over in the cowshed.  What our neighbour's cows thought of this they were not letting on.

After a good drink, he seemed fine, indeed, he is now occupying our bed in a relaxed posture and carefree attitude, as if nothing whatsoever had happened. Git.

And that's my morning at work written off.

So, here's to you, you great s*dding b*gger of a dog. Glad you're back.

Glad he has returned.

One thing I have never understood is how the phrase “a dog’s life” is ever used other than to describe a life of little concern and lots of fun.

The only thing missing seems to be model railways

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Glad he has returned.

One thing I have never understood is how the phrase “a dog’s life” is ever used other than to describe a life of little concern and lots of fun.

Agreed.

That and alcohol, of course.  But perhaps if leading a dog's life, you do not require it?

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

It's when your child goes on an unannounced unplanned sleepover that you really want to start worrying.

Precisely what my bloody dog did.  Honestly, children are easier ...

• Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

Glad he has returned.

Most dogs are lucky, they have kind, considerate "owners" (Yes, they really own YOU) who house them, feed them, take them for walkies and to the vets when required, and even get worried when they go on the razzle for the evening and flop in a handy shed because its too late to bother going home.

Just look at one of those RSPCA rescue programmes on the digital telly channels - some poor things literally lead a dogs life.

• Agree 1