5 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Isn't that a tautology?

Strictly, I suppose 'yes', but it sometimes necessary to be explicit; if you are a fundamentalist of any stamp, you are unlikely to understand that you're witless unless some kind soul points it out for you.

EDIT: Tautology Inquisition-style: 

spanish-inquisition1.jpg.8ea8e366c2b5323c406d316cb31ebda1.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I was being humorous, but I am also not sure if a fundamentalist is (by definition) capable of understanding that they are witless, or indeed of understanding any point of view counter to their own.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

It would be interesting to know the original source of your two inquisition pictures and understand the context in which they were produced.

I do not know, and there is always the risk that Protestant polemicists are over-egging the inquisition pudding, however, both images depict the strappado, a form of torture that was very much associated with the Inquisition. An apparent reference for this is Inquisition from Its Establishment to the Great Schism: An Introductory Study by A. L. Maycock, Intro. by Ronald Knox, Kessinger Publishing, 2003 ISBN 0-7661-7290-2,ISBN 978-0-7661-7290-6 p. 162. This work is quite old, 1920s, though it is perhaps interesting to learn that Knox was a Roman Catholic priest of some note. 

Aren't we lot cheerful this morning?

My fault, but the day started with an emphatic condemnation of a whole section of society as sinful and wrong on the inane basis that "that's what the Bible says, so you can't call me a bigot".  I had to vent, and I have no other outlet! 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Personally, I doubt that it should be possible to leap-frog that legal protection by invoking Divine revelation through scripture

Well, being much more of an NT man myself, in these circumstances I turn to John, chapter 8, and refuse to judge others and suggest that they do the same.

If they start quoting Kings and Leviticus at me, I ask them if they eat shellfish, pork, etc, and how much I should sell my daughter for?

Or, for a more modern take, I quote Elizabeth Tudor: "I would not open windows into men's souls."

As for the rule of law, I am with you. The rule of law and the payment of debts are the foundation of modern western society. Both get broken, but we have systems to deal with that so that we do not dissolve into mob rule. (And we go full circle into why we should avoid referendums!)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I thought it meant he enjoyed visiting old country houses, and eating cream teas.

(with due acknowledgement that there is, nowadays, more to the NT than that, although I would contend that these are still core defining characteristics)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

And here was I thinking you enjoyed giving a good smiting every now and again!

Well, I never claimed to be completely successful at living a good, wholesome life... (And it is only witlessness that I tend to smite.) 

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I thought it meant he enjoyed visiting old country houses, and eating cream teas.

Must admit that it took a couple of minutes to get to the correct interpretation of the acronym!

Looking at the first of Mr Eds woodcuts, and given the quote above about "windows in men's souls", it put me in mind of a rather pushy double-glazing salesman.....

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 minute ago, sem34090 said:

All I can say is that, even here...

I didn't expect any sort of inquisition, and we haven't had a Spanish one yet!

Oh noooooooo!

How about some fish slapping instead?

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

16 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Perhaps some precision drilling?

Or is that too silly?

And a bit suspect, I think ...

Or at least strictly non-Biblical according to some.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

12 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Or at least strictly non-Biblical according to some.

As is this.

1519463544_spilledseed.jpg.a17875dad6c1bfc5691ba2a93a38bc8b.jpg

5 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

Love thy fellow man...

Discreetly?

Ok, hows the test track development coming along?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

2 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Ah, yes, the place where you are invited to buy for other people things that you wouldn't consider giving house-room yourself.

The miracle of tasteless capitalism - a sort of circular economy where some pointless tat is sold by a gift shop, given to a 3rd party who holds on to it for the minimum length of time so as not to appear ungrateful, then donates it to a charity shop, whence it can be purchased as a gift for some other poor soul, who will keep it for a few months before putting it in a plastic sack for another random charity.....

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Ah, yes, the place where you are invited to buy for other people things that you wouldn't consider giving house-room yourself.

For which, Tolkien coined the word mathom, along with the custom of giving such things on one's birthday (if one is a hobbit) rather than receiving them. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2