RMweb

Love those swooping roofs on the Deeepot

Reminds me of the turn of the century Californian “Wood Butchers*”

The Art Deco station in Tulsa (always at 24 hours distance) has been converted to a museum of the Jazz age

dh

*also the US "Shingle Style" mansions

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

An ATSF train pausing at Pasadena station would continue to terminate at LA La Grande station, an imposing structure based on the “Turkish” style of architecture. Hardly West Norfolk. There was a big reorganisation in the thirties, with the station being demolished and a Union station pooled with the UP and SP was opened.

5D6FD104-451F-4163-BF61-4B170149F686.jpeg.2af63905c39cb1abe1ae6fa2958a705f.jpeg

• Like 6

Continuing my musical education ...

There is a selection of British rags available on Youtube, most dating from 1917-1924.

Here is one, still pre-Grouping and showing that clearly there was more going on than Spanish 'Flu and a lack of homes (and jobs) fir for heroes ...  

Gum Drops" foxtrot (Nat Wynn) London 1919

Spool back to 1903, and you get ....

A Plantation Holiday - M C Ives (1903) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Tom Burnham said:

Well, a ragtime singer (Frances Letty the Amercian Comedienne and Dancer) topped the bill at the Ipswich Hippodrome in 1909 (Evening Star - Wednesday 15 December 1909) -

image.png

"Live Teddy Bears"?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Of the three lead writers of ragtime in the US although Joplin died in 1917 (of the Spanish Flu) James Scott continued to publish till 1922 and died in 1938; and Joseph Lamb only stopped publishing in 1920 when his wife died. Lamb died in the 1960s. A recording I once had, and whose details I have unfortunately lost, was made at the end of WW1 by a composer who was an officer in one of the segregated US Army black regiments. It recounts a trench raid, with all the correct orders and actions. The only line I can remember "Gas! Gas! Pull on your mask!" is clearly suited to syncopation. If anyone can point me to a link for this I would be very grateful. 

• Informative/Useful 2

37 minutes ago, Tom Burnham said:

Well, a ragtime singer (Frances Letty the Amercian Comedienne and Dancer) topped the bill at the Ipswich Hippodrome in 1909 (Evening Star - Wednesday 15 December 1909) -

image.png

1902: Theodore Roosvelt refuses to shoot a tethered bear

1902: American toy maker produces the first "Teddy Bears"

1907: JW Bratton writes a dance tune "The Teddy Bears Picnic", a "characteristic two-step".

1909: Performance of dancing baby bears to "The Teddy Bears Picnic" in Ipswich?

The lyrics were written in 1932, possibly influenced by a piece of woodland between a church and a scout hut.  A bit late for "Trapped by Boy Scouts", however!  Apparently we have Henry Hall and his "BBC Orchestra" to thank for the popularity of the song.  Never mind...

Sources

Teddy Bears: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teddy_bear

TBP & lyrics: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teddy_Bears'_Picnic

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

38 minutes ago, webbcompound said:

I don't know whether this would be more or less frightening than "Trapped by Boy Scouts"

"Trapped by Boy Scouts" was a bioscope - I'd guess this one - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2086946/ - BFI don't have a copy but describe it as "Chase film. Boy scouts track and corner a gang of crooks."  It was only released in Nov 1909, so the public of Ipswich were getting the latest thing.  I'm sure West Norfolk wouldn't want that Suffolk lot to steal a march on them...

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, Tom Burnham said:

"Chase film. Boy scouts track and corner a gang of crooks." 

Drat!  If it wasn't for those pesky kids........   :jester:

(I see that both Bioscope presentations were crime capers!)

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2
  • Funny 4

4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

"Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid", by Douglas R Hofstadter? The subtitle is "A metaphorical fugue on minds and machines in the spirit of Lewis Carroll". It's a little bit on the lines you are suggesting although seriously weird and extremely dense. I only managed the first hundred of over 700 pages before I lost the will to live. I'm still not sure whether it's supposed to be a genuine work of mathematical and musical metaphysics or an extremely elaborate and tedious joke. Either way, it won the Pulitzer Prize for general non-fiction in 1980.

It's been propping up lesser volumes on my bookshelves since about 1985 - it would make a good door stop but we have a cast iron scottie dog that I excavated from the garden for that purpose.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Good job this isn't a US forum, because there the whole subject of whether jazz, ragtime etc authentically trace their roots to black or to white amateur traditions is hotly debated (fought over, almost), so even raising the topic can start a really unpleasant flame war.

Because of my musical illiteracy, I can't readily differentiate between styles, but listen to the  picking in this, then google more of his stuff https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=riley+puckett+nobodys+business#id=1&vid=fe8d408482ac91f963dcd6705f297153&action=click

Or, coming forward towards where we were yesterday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k4E9bPpMXE

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Good job this isn't a US forum, because there the whole subject of whether jazz, ragtime etc authentically trace their roots to black or to white amateur traditions is hotly debated (fought over, almost), so even raising the topic can start a really unpleasant flame war.

Can't be as vitriolic as Greslyites vs Thompsonites....

Surely?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

At the risk of reverting to a portrayal of Edwardian railways - albeit a representation of an Indian line filmed in Spain - did anyone see a repeat of the film 'North West Frontier' a few evenings ago?

The Wikipedia article is interesting ....here...  Some of the action may not be very credible, and the film never makes up it's mind about issues of imperialism etc, The (two) little 0-6-0Ts that appear might be of interest to this thread!

7 hours ago, NeilHB said:

Delightful James - it looks like a T7 to me! 

Thanks, Neil.  Yes, I'm tempted to try a T7, as opposed to this Colne Valley T7 derivative look-alike. 

The primer colour makes me think of Iain Rice/Bob Barlow's East Suffolk Light Railway No.3, which was a T7 in a very fetching yellow livery.

This (now in a parishioner's custody):

563891270_T7IainRiceforESLR.jpg.3c45361561970f039671b82c3c26f0e0.jpg

I'm now wondering if I could do the same with one of the new Dapol 7mm 1400's... :blink:

Well, the major change is in the trailing wheel's position. Mike Sharman's compilation of drawings from The Engineer magazine has two profile drawings for the class reproduced to 7mm scale 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, drmditch said:

At the risk of reverting to a portrayal of Edwardian railways - albeit a representation of an Indian line filmed in Spain - did anyone see a repeat of the film 'North West Frontier' a few evenings ago?

The Wikipedia article is interesting ....here...  Some of the action may not be very credible, and the film never makes up it's mind about issues of imperialism etc, The (two) little 0-6-0Ts that appear might be of interest to this thread!

I love that film.  Although it cannot even make up it's mind about what gauge the train is!!!!

For film-inspired model railway ideas, see further HERE

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

I love that film.  Although it cannot even make up it's mind about what gauge the train is!!!!

For film-inspired model railway ideas, see further HERE

Thank you. The problem with this forum (and others) is that there is so much material contained in it that it that it is easy to overlook stuff, or ask questions that have already been answered.

I find normal searches can be difficult to manage. Has anyone developed a useful data-mining tool for complex subjects as ours?

Edited by drmditch

Surely mainly remembered for Wilfred Hyde White firing a Gatling gun endlessly off the back verandah of the train.

edit

i think I mis-remembered - I now reckon it was out of the rear connecting door . So he was afforded protection by the partially closed door.

Which opens up an obscure further small volute of an OT query: anyone know leading names of the ‘Affordists’ in evolutionary thinking?

Briefly popular in Theory writing 20 odd years ago - as in Bear thinks  “Aha! this stick will afford me a chance to get at the honey” - or “this island affords us a chance to start a New Amsterdam.”

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, runs as required said:

Surely mainly remembered for Wilfred Hyde White firing a Gatling gun endlessly off the back verandah of the train.

Which just about sums up this thread and the difficulty of locating items within it!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Which just about sums up this thread and the difficulty of locating items within it!

As we're on page 990 and must surely hit the 1000 mark sometime in the next few days, its just getting worse, we need to try and keep on topic rather than discursing through such things as pre/post grouping popular music, early wireless technology, Sunday radio programmes, bread and so on...

:crazy:

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Hroth said:

As we're on page 990 and must surely hit the 1000 mark sometime in the next few days, its just getting worse, we need to try and keep on topic rather than discursing through such things as pre/post grouping popular music, early wireless technology, Sunday radio programmes, bread and so on...

:crazy:

This is the place we come to nattter, talk of railways is preferable doubly so if -grouping, but as with any get together the conversation can go off on all sorts of trails.  Edwardian is the only one with the right to clip our wings if the talk needs to be shepherded. Judging by the regular contributers we seem to like it here.

Don

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Donw said:

This is the place we come to nattter, talk of railways is preferable doubly so if -grouping, but as with any get together the conversation can go off on all sorts of trails.  Edwardian is the only one with the right to clip our wings if the talk needs to be shepherded. Judging by the regular contributers we seem to like it here.

I was trying to be a bit tongue in cheek about the difficulty of locating particular items in the thread, especially as I've contributed to pre/post grouping popular music, early wireless technology, Sunday radio programmes, bread and so on...  :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Hroth said:

I was trying to be a bit tongue in cheek about the difficulty of locating particular items in the thread, especially as I've contributed to pre/post grouping popular music, early wireless technology, Sunday radio programmes, bread and so on...  :whistle:

Sorry failed to spot the tongue in cheek.

Don

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Adam88 said:

Did he really?  Spanish Flu in 1917?

Probably. The outbreak started in the US in that year; its spread was down to US entry into the Great War. The early stages were largely hushed up under the censorship laws of the belligerent nations. Neutral Spain had a free press and hence it was there it was first widely reported, hence the name.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1