Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

4 hours ago, ianathompson said:

It has the wrong diameter wheels but it is the right wheel arrangement.

Now, if you were working in 2FS, you would have a wide range of wheel sizes from which to choose! 😀

Jim

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

4 hours ago, ianathompson said:

I don't want to derail this topic too much but neither of the suggested donors appear to be available in N gauge.

Basically beggars can't be choosers.

It has the wrong diameter wheels but it is the right wheel arrangement.

The coaches are similar fudges, hence the commment about not looking too closely!

Ian T

But why not ....?

image.png.57ebb2679fa7f31ddce3a311c18f6cc7.png

The 4800/14XX had 5'2" coupled wheels at 7'4" centres, a much closer match tor a G10 with 5' coupled wheels at 7'6" centres. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Now, if you were working in 2FS, you would have a wide range of wheel sizes from which to choose! 

2FS requires way more skill and equipment than I possess!

Also there is the time factor.

The AFK takes up most of my modelling time and energy.

This is a "second or third string" layout, built to be taken to the Cotswolds when I go to look after my mother.

I do not mind scratchbuilding coach bodies onto Roco 6 wheel chassis.

Similarly repainting (inappropriate) "wooden" rolling stock into pre Grouping livery is easily done.

Building 0-4-4T mechanisms and converting 0-4-2Ts, in N gauge, is simply a step too far.

To get the layout up and running I have used commercial diesels and steam locos from the 60s/70s.

I presume that this will be of little interest to those reading this.

There is a thread on this forum if any one really wants to look at it.

It is a brilliant expose of how not to built a layout.

Perhaps given my semi freelance approach I should rename the GNoSR into something such as the West Norfolk!

What about the BAM, not the Baikal Amur Mainline, but the Banffshire, Aberdeenshire & Morayshire Railway.

Just to diappoint avid Catle Aching fans even further I intend to run 70s BR blue stock at the next outing as this is how I remember the "Far North".

I will now go and wash my mouth out with soap!

Ian T

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ianathompson said:

2FS requires way more skill and equipment than I possess!

You over estimate the requirements!

I have no lathe, milling machine or pillar drill.  Boiler fittings etc are turned (health and softly look away now) with files in an ancient Black and Decker drill sitting on my knee. Small items (whistles, lubricators, etc.) likewise with a minidrill.

The 2mmSA has a vast range of parts and jigs to make it as easy as possible to convert N-gauge, including 'drop in' replacement wheels for many RTR locos and stock.

(End of advert!)

Jim

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I thought Jim was going to say that he uses only the pair of pliers that had also been all he'd ever needed as a dentist...

Apparently an almost extinct species. I gather that decades of government deviousness and underfunding has entirely destroyed their habitat so they can only survive in a private enclosure. 

I have given up trying to see a doctor - it takes a week of agro, a 40 minute round trip followed by a 30 minute wait in order to get 5 minutes being fobbed off - and when I die, my executors have strict instructions to send a letter to my GP practice saying "I f---ing told you so!"

But at least I know they exist!

• Friendly/supportive 7

10 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I thought Jim was going to say that he uses only the pair of pliers that had also been all he'd ever needed as a dentist...

I haven't found a use for extraction forceps (yet), but orthodontic wire bending pliers, whose jaws meet at the tip, are the bees knees for any wire bending.  Probes are also ideal for applying small drops of cyano and various other instruments come in handy for carving brass or styrene.  Root canal reamers are ideal for opening up small holes which haven't quite etched through.

Jim

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

4 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Apparently an almost extinct species. I gather that decades of government deviousness and underfunding has entirely destroyed their habitat so they can only survive in a private enclosure. 

Absolutely correct.  Most people fail to appreciate that 'High Street' dentists are self employed businesses working under contract to the NHS.  the system has become such that it is becoming unviable for them to continue.  Before I retired (16 years ago) I worked out that it cost me >£100 an hour just to have the door open!  I dread to think what that figure is now!

I have long said that HMG would like to get dentistry out of the NHS and they are going about it in such a way that they can blame the big, bad, greedy dentists for that.

Jim (rant over)

• Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

2 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Absolutely correct.  Most people fail to appreciate that 'High Street' dentists are self employed businesses working under contract to the NHS.  the system has become such that it is becoming unviable for them to continue.  Before I retired (16 years ago) I worked out that it cost me >£100 an hour just to have the door open!  I dread to think what that figure is now!

I have long said that HMG would like to get dentistry out of the NHS and they are going about it in such a way that they can blame the big, bad, greedy dentists for that.

Jim (rant over)

Can well believe ... they've largely done it to legal aid, so don't be poor and be owed money!

I am flipping fed up of governments! They just say "look over there! Migrants!" while they strip you of everything including your dignity. Up the Revolution, I say!

• Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

2 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

We should take a leaf out of the livre Francais.  They're always revolting!

Jim

Can you hear the People sing, singing the song of angry men?

Apparently the women were only mildly hacked off. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

I had a LP of Judy Collins with the song Marat Sade on it very emotional. I never really understood the context fully but it did seem to be very French. 

Don

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Donw said:

I had a LP of Judy Collins with the song Marat Sade on it very emotional. I never really understood the context fully but it did seem to be very French. 

Don

Written by an American for an English language production by the RSC of the Weiss play. 

I don't know the play, but it's an intriguing idea, the libertine and the Jacobin.

Just goes to show how you can catch your death in a bath ... Mind you, cherchez la femme

image.png.21afafbbaabcc2f048dbdc1f4d081fee.png

• Like 2

Re: GPs

Pressure on this service is immense.

My brother nearly worked himself to death - with two pulmonary embolisms - before taking early retirement.

Why does this government insist on demonising GPs, and piling more and more pressure on them?

Why do they think that young professionals will stay in the UK?

At the moment, I am very grateful to the NHS for keeping me alive, but I wonder what will be left in a few years time.

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

2 hours ago, drmditch said:

Re: GPs

Pressure on this service is immense.

My brother nearly worked himself to death - with two pulmonary embolisms - before taking early retirement.

Why does this government insist on demonising GPs, and piling more and more pressure on them?

Why do they think that young professionals will stay in the UK?

At the moment, I am very grateful to the NHS for keeping me alive, but I wonder what will be left in a few years time.

Indeed.

I don't believe it's the fault of GPs that General Practice has been rendered functionally useless for many of us, that merely makes it worse; you work yourself to death and your sector still fails the public. Heartbreaking in fact, but years of cynical under-funding, and government by announcement, not delivery, will do that. But, never mind that, "look over there! Migrants!"

As for our hospitals, of which I'm seeing quite a lot as a frail parent disappears into one from time to time, the splendid efforts of many skilled and caring people are so often negated by too much bureaucracy and too little resource; the NHS is capable of keeping me alive, it just probably won't.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
On 20/04/2023 at 07:18, Worsdell forever said:

Reminds me of one Arnold Rimmer BSC, SSC. 

...which reminds me, in turn, of the old rag mag joke about the student who thought that a Master of Arts was a university degree.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

I haven't found a use for extraction forceps (yet), but orthodontic wire bending pliers, whose jaws meet at the tip, are the bees knees for any wire bending.  Probes are also ideal for applying small drops of cyano and various other instruments come in handy for carving brass or styrene.  Root canal reamers are ideal for opening up small holes which haven't quite etched through.

Jim

When I were a lad, almost every magazine article recommended a selection of used dentist's burrs. I could never find a used dentist though.

• Like 4
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Written by an American for an English language production by the RSC of the Weiss play. 

I don't know the play, but it's an intriguing idea, the libertine and the Jacobin.

Just goes to show how you can catch your death in a bath ... Mind you, cherchez la femme

image.png.21afafbbaabcc2f048dbdc1f4d081fee.png

I thought we were back to Ophelia there for a moment. Ah well, never mind.

• Friendly/supportive 1

This is tempting. You could steam off the QE2 stickers and put on QV1 to make it 1905 compliant.

https://www.bradford.com.au/qeiitrainbge.html#:~:text=The Queen Elizabeth Platinum Jubilee Express Electric Train Collection is,purple gold tone electric pieces

Note however:

"Applications will be approved in strict order of receipt. If your application is successful you will be notified. Offer is limited to one collection per household."

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 4

6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

This is tempting. You could steam off the QE2 stickers and put on QV1 to make it 1905 compliant.

https://www.bradford.com.au/qeiitrainbge.html#:~:text=The Queen Elizabeth Platinum Jubilee Express Electric Train Collection is,purple gold tone electric pieces

Note however:

"Applications will be approved in strict order of receipt. If your application is successful you will be notified. Offer is limited to one collection per household."

Brilliant, just the thing to display beneath my Flying Scotsman cuckoo clock......

image.png.1198044dea0a6cca933310dd636a3653.png

The Franklin Bradford Mint Exchange et al, purveyors of crap to those with more money than taste since 1973 

And you wonder why I worry that western civilisation is in its decadent terminal phase.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1