Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Come now, since 1973?

default.jpg

[Embedded link to V&A website.]

Well, not perhaps for me, but an exemplar of quality and good taste comparatively speaking! 

Edited by Edwardian
Spelling!
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Of course for true exclusivity you should have gone for their  NSWGR 3801 clock.

image.png.89212851f694edfccab9eb155b6e6789.png

Slightly better than a Flying Moneypit "Christmas Tree"

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Come now, since 1973?

default.jpg

[Embedded link to V&A website.]

A lovely Measham Ware teapot, design dating back to the later 1800s

https://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/objects/y7DRNK6GQymN46YDMFUkAA

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

A lovely Measham Ware teapot, design dating back to the later 1800s

There's one in our family, somewhere; it had been a cause of embarrassment to earlier generations as demonstrating that there had been bargees in the Bailey family line. The following conversation is reputed to have taken place between my Great Uncle Sid and my Grandmother, probably about sixty years ago:

Sid: "Have you still got that teapot?"

Doris (hesitantly): "Yes." (Eagerly): "Do you want it?"

Sid (backing off): "No, but just don't throw it out."

• Like 6
  • Funny 2

32 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

There's one in our family, somewhere; it had been a cause of embarrassment to earlier generations as demonstrating that there had been bargees in the Bailey family line. The following conversation is reputed to have taken place between my Great Uncle Sid and my Grandmother, probably about sixty years ago:

Sid: "Have you still got that teapot?"

Doris (hesitantly): "Yes." (Eagerly): "Do you want it?"

Sid (backing off): "No, but just don't throw it out."

Ah, the perils of social mobility

Sound only, this one .....

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Ah, the perils of social mobility

Sound only, this one .....

That's all nearer the bone on the Lea side - also from Nechells, my Grandfather had been apprenticed to a printer but by the time of his death at the age of just 40 had become a reasonably successful freelance journalist; his younger brother Eric had a career as a commercial artist into the 1970s. My father and his brothers were Grammar School boys, my uncle being the first to go to university.

On my mother's side, my Grandad had emigrated from Arklow at the time of the Irish Civil War, first to Liverpool then Birmingham; he became a foreman carpenter with the City Council. My mother was the youngest of his five children and the only one not to go to university from school. (She later did so as a mature student; her finals and my O-levels were the same year.) My Grandfather had a story about meeting the Clerk of Works at my Uncle Richard's graduation ceremony. The Clerk of works was rather full of himself and his own son's achievements and condescending with it: "This must all be new to you, Jack." To which my Grandad replied that it was the fourth graduation he'd been to.  

All rather Buddenbrooks; I do worry for No. 2 Son, studying music...

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

This is tempting. You could steam off the QE2 stickers and put on QV1 to make it 1905 compliant.

https://www.bradford.com.au/qeiitrainbge.html#:~:text=The Queen Elizabeth Platinum Jubilee Express Electric Train Collection is,purple gold tone electric pieces

Note however:

"Applications will be approved in strict order of receipt. If your application is successful you will be notified. Offer is limited to one collection per household."

You could run it alongside the 'matching' John Wayne Express. https://www.bradford.com.au/john-wayne-express.html

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, papagolfjuliet said:

You could run it alongside the 'matching' John Wayne Express. https://www.bradford.com.au/john-wayne-express.html

Thats grotesque...

Just a thought, will horse and rider go into the firebox?

46 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Caredful, it might still be radioactive

You could disconnect the headlight and run it at night without any lighting!

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

On 19/04/2023 at 12:10, DonB said:

Of course I had to surrender the title on retirement and stopping the annual fee charge to retain it.

Having the distinction never affected my salary level !! 

I resigned from my 'learned society' and non-regulatory professional organisation a few years ago along with many other colleagues in protest at endemic mismanagement, apparent corruption and toxic internal politics. In so doing, I lost a couple of titles and a lot of the letters after my name but it hasn't made an iota of difference to my work or professional standing.

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

I strongly recommend a subscription to the US publication “Classic Toy Trains”. It contains adverts for anything and everything produced for US coarse-0 these days, and aside from the very strong military strand, and the highly partisan political themes, there is a wide range of other bizarre stuff, some incredibly kitsch. Then, there are the layouts that people build using all this stuff.

The gulf between US and UK (European actually) cultures is nowhere wider than in coarse-scale 0.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

The gulf between US and UK (European actually) cultures is nowhere wider than in coarse-scale 0.

Perhaps defending the right for any oddball 18 year old to be able to buy multiple  assault rifles and hollow-point ammo so they can  shoot little  kids in schools., that seems pretty gulfy too.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Fair point Monkeys, and the more I think about it, the more there seem to be great gulfs in respect of other things too.

Ah, but does the difference between trans- and cisatlantic approaches to coarse O epitomise the difference in cultures?

A rabbit hole I have entered recently is that of the Lost Cause Myth.

Essentially, once you understand that the surviving leaders, military and civil, of the Confederacy spent the post-war years re-writing history to portray the causes of the Civil War as States Rights against an aggressive North, and suggesting that, by the way, slavery, which it totally wasn't about, wasn't so bad as all that!

It explains a lot. It allowed the white Southern elite to regain its ascendency following Reconstruction and thereafter impose Jim Crow laws and segregation.

And the myth gained mainstream acceptance. You can see it in popular culture from Gone with the Wind to Gods and Generals.   

It also informs the debate about Confederate statutes in the South, because these were put up in later years as propaganda to support the white supremacist elite.

And was it a myth? Pretty much, yes. While there are grains of truth, of course, the Confederates who chose to record their motivations at the time tended to make it quite clear that they were defending slavery. States Rights is just a way of arguing you should be free to enslave people anyway. And slavery was justified by a white supremacist doctrine that black people were inferior to the extent that slavery was actually good for them! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

A rabbit hole I have entered recently is that of the Lost Cause Myth.

Parish Council business, y'r 'onour?

Also, not sure how it advances understanding of cultural differences in tinplateware.

I had honestly lost track of where I was in replying to @Nearholmer's post; I think I'd assumed I was in his coarse O thread.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

When you consider that Neil Young is on the Lionel board, and you recall the lyrics of 'Sweet Home Alabama' ('Well I hope Neil Young will remember/A Southern man don't need him around'), the gulf between the politics of the people who make that stuff and those of the people who buy it is also surprisingly wide.

Edited by papagolfjuliet
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 hour ago, papagolfjuliet said:

the gulf between the politics of the people who make that stuff and those of the people who buy it is also surprisingly wide.

The Americans rarely let politics get in the way of profit.

• Like 2

The toy train makers seem quite even-handed: they make trains emblazoned with the colours and slogans of both main parties.

I don’t understand US opinions well enough to know whether love of extreme-kitsch, belief in alien abductions, worship of mega-macho superheroes, or a dewy-eyed and sentimental vision of train-mounted ICBMs, all of which are strong themes in coarse-0, correlates with voting patterns, but I suspect that they might to some degree.

[I thought this was a Parish Council Meeting, so I apologise for intruding in the cosy world of Edwardian Norfolk.]

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 26/04/2023 at 11:05, St Enodoc said:

...which reminds me, in turn, of the old rag mag joke about the student who thought that a Master of Arts was a university degree.

Any time we went for a game of snooker in the Union on our only 2 hour lunch break in the week all the tables were taken up by arts student who'd been there all morning! 

Jim

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1