• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

photos never seem to capture the nuances of rain?

Must say I wouldn't describe the rain we had here this afternoon as "nuanced". But I know what you mean - especially in that part of the world. Looking forward to a fortnight of it myself!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Well done!

Was weather as atrocious as the forecast implied - photos never seem to capture the nuances of rain?

No. One reason, I am told, that more people walk west to east is because walking west is 'into the weather', however, the rain was far worse yesterday, so we set out today expecting worse than we got. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

No. One reason, I am told, that more people walk west to east is because walking west is 'into the weather', however, the rain was far worse yesterday, so we set out today expecting worse than we got. 

If you walk into the weather, you do see it coming - not just the rain but the sunny intervals - and you also pass through it more quickly. If you walk with your back to the weather, that band of rain just travels along with you.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

5 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Official Day 4. Today we headed back to the Wall from the Blenkinsopp Castle Inn. Fairly level going into Gilsland, where we had our first brush with the Newcastle and Carlisle Ry.....

Ascending the western bank we find ourselves at Milecastle 48, so, yes, you can have a Roman Milecastle right next to the line on your model railway. Truly, there is a prototype for everything.

20230803_104611.jpg.6c3c1254fff7c97854c51f8c0a907a8c.jpg

.....  and with amazing foresight, they even left a track plan;  descent scale size, too.     🙆‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

Day 7 of 8, so just ....

It was good to get another glimpse of Brampton again, a very friendly town, by the way.

20230804_090910.jpg.8788197a26a955d5ac31716664dc03c5.jpg

Today not much of Rome was there to see.

Near the start, at Dovecote bridge, east of Walton, there was this ....

20230804_094208.jpg.0521e085d17ed089b1ac271b41e4b4ee.jpg

No information on the English Heritage sign, so I'm going for a section of the turf wall.

And that was that for a goodly way.  Much of it was along roads ...

20230804_094413.jpg.cbaaafe1fcb46a7cf61e3c9f2a9d3193.jpg

Some of it was through little woods and copses ...

20230804_100211.jpg.48c132d925fd237b83b2291fec23c947.jpg

And many muddy and boggy fields were there.

20230804_100554.jpg.378dca5ee78cf3dd536812b157f0e7af.jpg

20230804_102340.jpg.552112ae0d73bd2b0018df811f0f7c16.jpg

Eventually, we came to be walking on something that might have been the Wall...

20230804_104528.jpg.44173d785a9b179a5188cccc07b560a2.jpg

But then more...

20230804_111152.jpg.a4729a6fb3820d9571acaf8d6162ec4a.jpg

and...

20230804_112644.jpg.25a64312d8409068ac3779f832a1cbe0.jpg

but then eventually...

20230804_130243.jpg.2283185f08bf4754b9e13f30386fb4f6.jpg

... which we were pretty confident was a stretch of turf wall and ditch, and the best and longest bit of Wall of the day, so there we made our picnic.

It was another two and a half hours pleasant, but not very Roman, walk to Carlisle, which greeted us with the sound of seagulls. 

Here we have been put up at the Crown & Mitre, a very substantial Edwardian hotel building of 1905 (grand staircase, ballroom, picture of President Woodrow Wilson when he visited, that sort of thing), so quite a scene of elegance upon which we burst with our muddy hiking boots, backpacks and weather-beaten faces (well, mine, anyway).

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I walked the Harrow's Scar section of the wall a few weeks ago, a lovely part of the world - if a brief diversion into railway matters is permitted, I spotted this van at farm/B&B along the way (forget the scenery, must photograph railway-related thing). I suspect with the corrugated ends it is of LMS origin, but I'm no expert on anything north of Reading (and very little south of there...).

image.png.1a8393f52c41b907e1cf618d1a55c8de.png

image.png.306d340cf1b5d257d49fddc56d6cf0ac.png

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

I suspect with the corrugated ends it is of LMS origin, but I'm no expert on anything north of Reading (and very little south of there...).

I too know little of such modernity, but it looks to me like this BR 12 ton van, at the SRPS:

image.png.d2fe8ac4605e3f47e4e2e4c941d5fbbf.png

This particular one was built in 1959.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The Crown and Mitre is where the Caledonian Railway Association hold their AGMs.   There's a very nice, retro, coffee shop in Bank St (Off English St opposite M&S) John Watt & Son (no relation).  Worth visiting just to see the array of teas and coffees on sale, And they do nice snack lunches.

Jim

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Edwardian said:

The Crown & Mitre, a very substantial Edwardian hotel building of 1905 (grand staircase, ballroom, picture of President Woodrow Wilson when he visited, that sort of thing), so quite a scene of elegance upon which we burst with our muddy hiking boots, backpacks and weather-beaten faces (well, mine, anyway).

Did one bathe and attend the Dinning room suitably dressed  with Miss  T also  suitably attired ?

Excellent travelogue  could Miss T become your own Boswell ?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Thoroughly enjoying the walk. It is much easier from the PC but miss the actual walking and the fresh air. 

Don

posted the above before reading the latest posts. Well actually wrote it yesterday and forgot to press submit.

I hope you both are feeling jolly pleased with yourselves. A well earned sense of achievement is due.

Don

Edited by Donw
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

It’s the sheer un-dependability of it that gets to me. In the first week of last August we were all moaning because it was baking hot and all our lawns had died, now it’s sopping wet, astonishingly cold, everyone has a lawn with lush grass about three feet high, and is moaning it’s too wet to cut. It would be really helpful if we could have fixed and regular things to moan about.

More to the point: I’ve found The Intrepid Expedition really interesting, for the historical content, but also because my son and I intend something similarly uncomfortable, but involving bicycles, once he finishes his ‘O Levels’ next summer. 

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Ah but it rained on St. Swithin's day this year.

And maybe it's not the nonsense that we tend to think of it.

If we consider 40 days to be used in the biblical sense of meaning many, rather than the precise number between 39 and 41, and then look at weather patterns we might begin to see a germ of truth in the myth.

The jet stream tends to set into fairly stable patterns during the summer, so if it is towards the South of Europe in the first half of July, it is likely to stay that way for some weeks- that's this year and when it is towards the South, low pressure systems can sweep in across the UK and Northern France bringing a series of rain showers.  If however the Jet Stream is further north in early July, then these low pressure systems are pushed further North and the areas of mid-West Europe can bask in sun - like last year.

Of course it does not always end up as black and white as the last 2 years and that leads people to make fun of the idea.  

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

14 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

sheer un-dependability of it

This should be attached as the TL:DR to every article, comment and pub conversation on the subject.

EDIT: /soapbox

Edited by Schooner
Second edit to clarify: I'm running with Brother Nearholmer's comment. The system we know isn't changing; the system we knew is FUBAR
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Schooner said:

This should be attached as the TL:DR to every article, comment and pub conversation on the subject.

EDIT: /soapbox

A lovely gentleman, who visits quite regularly, just loves a conspiracy theory.  In the midst of the Covid melee, he he came out with the "Fact" that the Lateral Flow kits were highly carcinogenic and therefore should be banned.  I told him that I wasn't in the slightest bothered, should that be proved to be so, as I was not in the habit of consuming any of the test substances, either before or after the test.  To his credit he broke into a broad smile and wandered off down the path, to his car, chuckling.    🤣

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

On 02/08/2023 at 21:54, Compound2632 said:

If you walk into the weather, you do see it coming - not just the rain but the sunny intervals - and you also pass through it more quickly. If you walk with your back to the weather, that band of rain just travels along with you.

However, in my 6-7mile each way cycle to work I long for the days when I have a SE wind in the morning and a NW in the afternoon to waft me along. Cycling into the teeth of a SW English channel gale takes the joy out of the morning- assuming the act of cycling hasn’t already achieved that.

Duncan

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

On 03/08/2023 at 00:15, St Enodoc said:

Used to love taking the children there when we lived at Polesworth.

I forgot you were at Warwickshire lad at one point. Wall must have been one of the few ‘interesting’ places my brother and I weren’t dragged to by our parents when we lived in Nuneaton.

Duncan

Edited by drduncan
  • Like 1