Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Oak Hill's Fletcher Jennings J Class is a more expensive option given current prices for the Hornby Terriers (you'd need the A1 with the wooden brake blocks). I have decided the WNR needs one of these, BTW.

and if Royal Mail are running as well as they have been recently, you'll have it before the end of the week! Hope you've got some donor chassis ready 😛

Gary

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Manning Wardle Q Class

I must get mine finished so that I can get some decent pictures on the website (kit now comes with the all over cab roof and a weatherboard for you to choose which you want)

Gary

2024-01-0409_03_44.jpg.49b11bc67e83ed738c087621dd8f73a8.jpg

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

2 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

and if Royal Mail are running as well as they have been recently, you'll have it before the end of the week! Hope you've got some donor chassis ready 😛

Gary

Indeed, Gary, and thanks. I waited until a relatively reasonably priced Hornby A1 came up buy-it-now on Flea  Bay. 

2 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

I must get mine finished so that I can get some decent pictures on the website (kit now comes with the all over cab roof and a weatherboard for you to choose which you want)

Gary

2024-01-0409_03_44.jpg.49b11bc67e83ed738c087621dd8f73a8.jpg

Lovely. I take it that the Hornby Peckett wheels are a straight swop for the Hornby Terrier's and that the Terrier rods are a compatible fit? 

• Like 1

To be clear, the idea isn’t a model of the FYNR; it’s a terminus inspired by a combination of Freshwater and the various iterations of Leighton Buzzard (Linslade).

I’d missed that little RS loco, which was really the contractor’s engine done up in lipstick and pearls, and was only used for a very short while, until they’d concluded an arrangement by which the IWC worked the line for them. Their MW Q was quite a late build, and looked far more like the planned L than like that kit.

Coaches-wise, I’d probably start with Hattons Genesis and Hornby, followed by a bit of Triang Clerestory and/or Ratio Midland bashing.

Anyway, Step 1 would be to build a folding baseboard that was genuinely portable, so medium-sized suitcase dimensions and weight.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I waited until a relatively reasonably priced Hornby A1 came up buy-it-now on Flea  Bay

A feeling I am quite familiar with (I have now completed my task of owning as many terriers as the LBSC!)

12 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Lovely. I take it that the Hornby Peckett wheels are a straight swop for the Hornby Terrier's and that the Terrier rods are a compatible fit? 

Yes, same size axles, gears, and crankpins. Nice and simple, I got a set of wheels from Peters Spares, took less than 5 minutes to have them fitted to the Terrier chassis.

Gary

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

32 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Indeed, Gary, and thanks. I waited until a relatively reasonably priced Hornby A1 came up buy-it-now on Flea  Bay. 

In which case youandTom might consider the Hudswell Clarke side tanks supplied 1889-91 to the Barry Railway as  its Class E. 6' + 6' with 3' 3 1/2" wheels (so a little smaller than the Peckett).

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Schooner said:

(although I favour the open-backed version, as ran on the IoW)

A most useful piece of information. I was aware that a Robert Stephenson 0-6-0T, named ‘Freshwater’, had been used as a contractors loco during the construction of the FY&NR, but have never seen a picture of it. Note that I have acquired approx 50 books on the IOW railways and some of them refer to it being named ‘Portishead’ for a time once returned to the mainland. A search on Google shows a preserved sister engine of similar appearance, presumably as shown in ‘Schooner’s’ post?

Whether or not I need to acquire the kit from BlueLightning’s shop is in the balance but for completeness it seems hard to resist. The purchase of a ‘P’ Class, to use the chassis, being the only barrier. If I could somehow use a spare terrier chassis, with modification, that would probably swing it.

As to the Manning Wardle ‘Q’ Class, I already have a CSP kit in my ‘to do’ list.

After the revelation of the ‘Vectis 3D Models’ site, and now this, it is clear that there are a number of potentially valuable modelling sources I have yet to discover. 

• Like 2

https://www.wcpr.org.uk/Portishead 0-6-0T.html

It wasn’t anything like new when used to build the FYNR.

There are multiple photos of it in the Oakwood Press FYNR history.

First picture here shows it (and a lot of rustics gambolling in a hedge) http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/f/freshwater/

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, Deeps said:

Robert Stephenson 0-6-0T... A search on Google shows a preserved sister engine of similar appearance, presumably as shown in ‘Schooner’s’ post?

This one

Supplied to Haydock Collieries, therefore a companion to the Haydock home-build Bellerophon announcedby KR Models.

• Like 4

Further to my last, and keen not to clutter up the Castle Aching thread with discussions concerning railways on the other side of the Solent, it might be useful if a member created an area devoted to IOW studies. For all I know there may already be one, as I have not yet explored all the threads in these forums? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

There are multiple photos of it in the Oakwood Press FYNR history.

Thank you, on looking at my copy all is made clear. Having a relatively large number of books in my collection I have started to catalogue core subject matter to allow me to find specific locomotives, rolling stock and locations etc. without having to trawl through every copy.

The subject loco has not been catalogued because, being a contractors engine, I did not anticipate needing to model one but I may have to rethink that in light of the available kit.

What a wealth of accumulated knowledge there is available in rmweb, and people willing to help and advise at a moments notice!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

FYNR... Their MW Q was quite a late build, and looked far more like the planned L than like that kit.

Well, 1902, which puts it at the mid point of Q construction.

Further, standard Qs to 1914 had, I think, 12' w/bs, wheels evenly spaced, like the Terrier donor chassis for the Oak Hill Works kit. Save for 3 exceptions, the class was built like that until 1914, when shorter W/b became standard. 

Any LR-esque Q pre-Great War will, therefore, have the longer w/b and evenly spaced wheels. 

The Ls, in contrast, had characteristically unevenly spaced wheels.  

The larger problem is that generally Qs, like Ls, are supplied to contractors or industry in the first instance, and are not a characteristic type for LRs and minor lines and/or are likely to go thence relatively late. Whereas the Ls were more or less devoid of minor railway service (save for larger wheeled specials), the Qs are marginally more promising. 

The sole 'mainline' company example acquired new was used successively by the SER, SE&CR and SR as a works shunter at Ashford. Another Q appears to have been acquired second-hand by the Wrexham Mold & Connahs Quay Ry. in 1895, though what it used it for I have yet to discover. Also second-hand, the Port Talbot Railway & Docks acquired one in 1897, though perhaps only for dock shunting duties.

The FY&NR example was supplied new to a contractor, so only entered minor line service in 1913. 

The famous Colonel Stephens's Hesperus, variously given as an N* and a Q, was not recognisably a Q after time spent with the Great Western, but in its original guise it was a proto-LR/minor line loco; new to a contractor, it seems soon after to have been inherited by the Narberth Road and Maenclochog Railway, a railway of light rails and steep gradients opened under a Board of Trade certificate in 1876. 

The Goole & Marshland LR had a Q, apparently from new in 1899. So, there seems to have been one pukka LR/minor line user of a standard Q pre-Great War. I think that's more than can be said for the standard L. 

* a domed Q precurser. The MS&LR had one, from the original owner, a contractor.

• Like 3

Ah, well, a solitary Terrier it’ll have to be then.

Sometimes I think life was simpler, and as a result happier, when a working, three and a half inch long model of a MW tank engine was regarded as an impossible dream, and the best Terrier on the market was the K’s one (which was a pretty poor ‘best’). We know too much about far too many things these days.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Edwardian said:

In which case youandTom might consider the Hudswell Clarke side tanks supplied 1889-91 to the Barry Railway as  its Class E. 6' + 6' with 3' 3 1/2" wheels (so a little smaller than the Peckett).

I can have a word with Tom, drawings would probably go a long way to helping that effort, don't suppose you know where I could get some?

3 hours ago, Deeps said:

Whether or not I need to acquire the kit from BlueLightning’s shop is in the balance but for completeness it seems hard to resist. The purchase of a ‘P’ Class, to use the chassis, being the only barrier. If I could somehow use a spare terrier chassis, with modification, that would probably swing it.

I'm not going to say you could use an old tooling terrier chassis under it, but I'm also not going to say that it wouldn't fit with some degree of modification.

Gary

2024-01-0414_06_59.jpg.a2f753fa4808e24b89524fae43c1e39e.jpg2024-01-0414_06_53.jpg.7f63713a60f8147f1e52b779a1576774.jpg2024-01-0414_07_12.jpg.aa7652fe92f4b4919565d64cd2bcdc9f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

34 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

I'm not going to say you could use an old tooling terrier chassis under it, but I'm also not going to say that it wouldn't fit with some degree of modification.

It is hard to resist. I have a couple of options, including modifying a K’s terrier chassis I have knocking around, providing that the overall appearance is acceptable. With that in mind I have ordered one!

The only thing worrying me is explaining the purchase to my wife. However, today is the 50th anniversary of me joining the RN, so I think that is justification enough!

Edited by Deeps
Additional comment
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Deeps said:

today is the 50th anniversary of me joining the RN, so I think that is justification enough!

As good an excuse to order a loco kit as I have ever heard! Can't be long until my step-dad hits the same anniversary thinking about it!

14 minutes ago, Deeps said:

I have a couple of options, including modifying a K’s terrier chassis I have knocking around

I haven't got one of them floating about to try under the kit, I used to, but no idea where it's gone.

12 minutes ago, Deeps said:

With that in mind I have ordered one!

and just as I had finished James's order and got the printer cleaned up! Anyone would think people want me to work for my income 🤣

Gary

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BlueLightning said:

I can have a word with Tom, drawings would probably go a long way to helping that effort, don't suppose you know where I could get some?

Gary

2024-01-0414_06_59.jpg.a2f753fa4808e24b89524fae43c1e39e.jpg2024-01-0414_06_53.jpg.7f63713a60f8147f1e52b779a1576774.jpg2024-01-0414_07_12.jpg.aa7652fe92f4b4919565d64cd2bcdc9f.jpg

Not that I am bursting for a Barry Railway engine, but the Class E was a Hudswell Clarke design, so could be supplied to any user.

My question is, can the Hornby W4 Peckett wheels be swapped in to the Hornby Terrier chassis?

The W4 has the right size wheels (3' 3 1⁄2"), whereas the Terrier has the right w/b (6'+6').

The Barry examples (5) were supplied 1889-91. In 1909 one was converted to an 0-4-2 by having its rear rods remioved and used on passenger work. 2 of the class survived long enough to be Swindonised.

Pictures in various states are in the RCTS volume, while another picture and a drawing are in Russell. 

Let me know if they are of use and I can get scans to you if you don't have access to these volumes.

20240104_175353.jpg.17b59bf3c622257f7be8e5804f3d0dad.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
Picture
  • Like 3

I promise I haven't paid anyone to promote my wares! (I cannot comment for Gary though...)

3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Not that I am bursting for a Barry Railway engine, but the Class E was a Hudswell Clarke design, so could be supplied to any user.

Always happy to look at almost any prototype if there are drawings available. Can't guarantee it would happen any time soon though, very busy at the moment! I do have a Terrier or two in the donor pile...

Not sure what else might fit the bill other than the aforementioned examples. The Fletcher Jennings might do the job though I assume a light railway might want to provide its crews with a rudimentary cab of some kind. One project I've wanted to tackle for a while is bashing a P Class into something more "generic" to represent a light railway engine - or possibly modifying the FYNR kit and pairing it with a 4-wheel tender. If in need of something bigger, depending on era, the SER O Classes were staples of the light railways in Kent once withdrawn from mainline duties.

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, TurboSnail said:

I promise I haven't paid anyone to promote my wares! (I cannot comment for Gary though...)

Just another satisfied customer, as they say

Always happy to look at almost any prototype if there are drawings available. Can't guarantee it would happen any time soon though, very busy at the moment! I do have a Terrier or two in the donor pile...

A suggestion, not a request. Something else in what is a very useful range of of locos.

One thing it would also be nice to see would be a big Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST, but with the original cabs, not the more modern ones Bl00dy Stupid Jones announced. 

A Highland Terrier? Yet another contribution to the 'suggestions box' would be the Highland Railway Lochgorm Tank. This is an 0-6-0T with the same 6’ + 6’ wheelbase as a Terrier, but with slightly smaller 3’7” wheels, which I think are the size of the B2 Peckett's.             

image.png.794d4898e78903b715ed7e624fd41f2f.png

Not sure what else might fit the bill other than the aforementioned examples. The Fletcher Jennings might do the job though I assume a light railway might want to provide its crews with a rudimentary cab of some kind. One project I've wanted to tackle for a while is bashing a P Class into something more "generic" to represent a light railway engine - or possibly modifying the FYNR kit and pairing it with a 4-wheel tender. If in need of something bigger, depending on era, the SER O Classes were staples of the light railways in Kent once withdrawn from mainline duties.

And ex-LSWR Ilfracombe Goods had similar second lives.

What the discussion sparked by Brother Nearholmer has really brought out for me is the lack of suitable 'minor lines' tender engines in general and four-coupled passenger types, boths tank and tender for minor lines.

One needs to be imaginative. For instance, just looking at Norfolk, I find the Beattie Well tank gives me a reasonable match to the GER No.1 Class tender 2-4-0, while the Oxford Dean Goods, if converted to a 2-4-0 gives you the couple wheels for a Crewe Type 2-4-0, as ran on the MGN. There will be other such happy coincidences yet to be discovered. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

A Highland Terrier? Yet another contribution to the 'suggestions box' would be the Highland Railway Lochgorm Tank. This is an 0-6-0T with the same 6’ + 6’ wheelbase as a Terrier, but with slightly smaller 3’7” wheels, which I think are the size of the B2 Peckett's.   

Of which there were three, one subtly different from Lochgorm itself, the other quite different but clearly of that ilk.  Lochgorm also had a few alterations over its life.  Note the sloping smokebox door which gives an 'ye olde steam engine' feel.

Also from the far north there's  Gordon Castle which was the Duke of Sutherland's private loco plus the initial form of 0-4-4T Strathpeffer.  

https://www.ambaile.org.uk/asset/24787/

All quite personable locos that are not particularly well known in themselves and so can masquerade on a suitable minor railway.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Some belated catch ups.

On 22/12/2023 at 10:42, Edwardian said:

He will be able to confirm the distance from A to B, the mainline run must be getting on for circa 15'. 

Indeed, should be at least 15'6" for either route.

On 22/12/2023 at 10:42, Edwardian said:

If I can squeeze 60" (5') between ramps, even the longest train should not entirely fill the available space.

Up to 67" as shown, which stops at a scale 12' platform width, so should be pretty doable.

The Falcon coaches mentioned previously (as ran at Selsey and Looe), are also available from Rue d'Etropal/Recreation 21*:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/3XQNWCRSD/o-76-hmsty-selsey-falcon-coach

https://www.shapeways.com/product/CAPNDY962/o-76-hmsty-selsey-falcon-brake-coach

710x528_26764172_14518338_1551615252_1_0

*FAO @BlueLightning, another prolific designer in search of a decent printer and vendor to work with, IIRC... :)

On 03/01/2024 at 16:35, Edwardian said:

Almost certainly not.

Gosh, unexpected but thoroughly enjoyable diversion, thanks to you and Mr @Nearholmer for the unveiling of unknown unknowns. However, I simply wondered if you had an excuse for the scene, which offers all sorts I've not come across before at the date quoted (1903). Quite a lot of which probably arrive by rail, also?

2.jpg.8a57efb2ef58b9d4000cd77e9ce7b047.jpg

Re. Cattle markets, do I understand correctly that you have in mind this sort of thing:

image.png.fa686a532331393021062dddedd4d233.png

Source

35521720.jpg

etc. Lots of pens and low open sheds?

Forgive the splurge of Gloucester, which is of limited use to the WNR, but the next couple are probably worth sharing :)

345746.jpg

Nice public fountain.

343576.jpg

Nicer public fountain opening party! Cheery bunch.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Schooner said:

Perhaps they've just realised that the "water" supply comes from just the other side of the wall...

• Funny 6

6 hours ago, Schooner said:

Some belated catch ups.

Indeed, should be at least 15'6" for either route.

Up to 67" as shown, which stops at a scale 12' platform width, so should be pretty doable.

Excellent!

The Falcon coaches mentioned previously (as ran at Selsey and Looe), are also available from Rue d'Etropal/Recreation 21*:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/3XQNWCRSD/o-76-hmsty-selsey-falcon-coach

https://www.shapeways.com/product/CAPNDY962/o-76-hmsty-selsey-falcon-brake-coach

710x528_26764172_14518338_1551615252_1_0

*FAO @BlueLightning, another prolific designer in search of a decent printer and vendor to work with, IIRC... :)

Very nice. I fancy them for the Bishop's Lynn, but I do like the street tram carriages conversions I was working on (and still cannot find).

I would not touch them in the low grade, but the manufacturer, when asked, has made carriages available in better grades. Shapeways is still brutually expensive overall and in value for money terms.

Gosh, unexpected but thoroughly enjoyable diversion, thanks to you and Mr @Nearholmer for the unveiling of unknown unknowns. However, I simply wondered if you had an excuse for the scene, which offers all sorts I've not come across before at the date quoted (1903). Quite a lot of which probably arrive by rail, also?

2.jpg.8a57efb2ef58b9d4000cd77e9ce7b047.jpg

Well, I thought I'd find fairly definitive answers, but then Brother Nearholmer showed that the bolt-on generators at gas stations made things less certain. However, I stick to the Watton example. 

Watton in 1900 was described as a "small market town". Iy was a station on the GER and boasted banks, both police and fire stations, three main inns, a cottage hospital, almshouses, a public 'recreation ground' and a gas works.

It did not gain electric street lighting until 1932.  

Re. Cattle markets, do I understand correctly that you have in mind this sort of thing:

image.png.fa686a532331393021062dddedd4d233.png

Source

35521720.jpg

etc. Lots of pens and low open sheds?

Splendid pictures and, yes, just this sort of thing. I collected some pictures some time ago, but these are on anpther 'pooter.

Forgive the splurge of Gloucester, which is of limited use to the WNR, but the next couple are probably worth sharing :)

345746.jpg

Nice public fountain.

343576.jpg

But canine owner's seal of approval. I love the burghers of Gloucester for providing for the dogs; "Love me, love my dog" I believe it says.

• Like 3