1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Ah, brought to the screens of British children as Hector's House

Toutou always makes me think of the RN gunboats, Mimi & Toutou, named by the frankly odd Lt-Cmdr Spicer-Simson, and sent to sink the Kaiser's battleships on Lake Tanganyika, events that inspired C. S. Forester's 1935 novel, The African Queen. 

Hardly 'battleships' ! 

(but I see that others have already picked up on this.)

This is one of the Shlactshiff of the Hochseeflotte in enraged mode!

image.png.bf2c981d53e478832bc2e15e12532143.png

(From a painting by Claus Bergen, (April 18, 1885–October 4, 1964) - Lot-9630-12, PD-US, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=60525659)

(There is a book regarding Mimi and Toutou some where on my shelves. I saw know it fairly recently. As you say a 'frankly odd' commander.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BlueLightning said:

Terriers Anonymous

I must introduce you to my pal Mr C, who is loco superintendent on the Spa Valley Line by day, but by night transforms into one of Britain’s foremost experts on, and collectors of properly ancient 0 gauge (and a few other scales of properly ancient stuff too). He is alleged to have a Terrier Addiction, owning innumerable coarse-0 ones, but I think he would be comforted by the extent of your fleet.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Gary,

As you have as many as the LB&SCR I hope that they are all renamed and numbered.  😄

Slowly working my way though them, they will be different class members where possible, the biggest question at the moment is do I continue my repaint into IWC crimson, or do I just buy the Hornby one now that it will be crimson anyway.

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I must introduce you to my pal Mr C, who is loco superintendent on the Spa Valley Line by day, but by night transforms into one of Britain’s foremost experts on, and collectors of properly ancient 0 gauge (and a few other scales of properly ancient stuff too). He is alleged to have a Terrier Addiction, owning innumerable coarse-0 ones, but I think he would be comforted by the extent of your fleet.

Sounds like a fascinating chap, I do find a charm in the deliberately old fashioned 0 gauge models, not that I'd have room for any! I do have a modern 0 gauge terrier on top of that collection (literally, it wont fit in the display case so it's on top of it!) and a few wagons, one day I might put some track down somewhere and give it a run.

I fear however any actual meeting of Terrier addicts would just result in the purchase of more terriers.

Gary

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

I seem to remember reading that there are only two places in East Sussex with double-barrelled names.

Even if you leave out the geographic qualifiers and, I suppose other descriptors such as "Green", "Hill", Cross", "Common" and so on, I think Broad Oak, Coleman's Hatch, and a few others would count. Then there are a very few triple-barrelled names, such as Cross in Hand and Bodle Street Green (which is where my No 1 daughter lives).

http://www.envf.port.ac.uk/geo/research/historical/webmap/sussexmap/gazeteer.htm

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Bells Yew Green; multiple Gates and Hatches, being former gates on/off the forest; Chelwood Vachery, which isn’t geographic; Forest Row; ‘igh ‘urst ‘ood; Hadlow Down; etc.

It does get harder if you try to think of places that have the name of the landlord as the second part, as is the case for Neville and de Cahanes (Keynes).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

It does get harder if you try to think of places that have the name of the landlord as the second part, as is the case for Neville and de Cahanes (Keynes).

More of a Dorset thing (though Dorset prefers Latin), though widely found elsewhere, random example from Warwickshire: Compton Verney. I think we've discussed Norton Canes, another manor of the de Cahanes family as I recall. But where the name is that off the office rather than the family, the order is reversed: Kings Norton, Abbots Bromley.

Edited by Compound2632
sp.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 12/01/2024 at 10:36, BlueLightning said:

13 you say, I'm not sure we can let you into Terriers Anonymous on such low numbers

Thinking about it I may not need to join.  I had 17 of the old Dapol/Hornby Terriers so I must be recovering.

Goodness knows why I had that number as they really didn't look much like a Terrier.

When the new ones were announced I disposed of 16 of them.  Some took a one way trip to Liverpool which sadly can no longer happen.  Others went to a friend to go under 3D printed bodies.

I did keep one which ran particularly well.  I wondered how little I would need to do to make it into a freelance 0-6-0T.  Perhaps new buffer beams with lowered buffers and a conventional cab roof might suffice.   One day I may actually get around to doing it !

That reminds me of an old friend who built a Will's P class loco kit for his freelance West of England Railway many years ago.  He replaced the cab with a simple wrap over one and it completely transformed the appearance for very little work.

Rodney

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Meanwhile, in Yorkshire ...

None of the predicted snow here yet.🤞  I should have had a meeting in Hamilton this morning which has been postponed on the basis of the forecast.

Jim

• Friendly/supportive 3

12 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Ah!  So that's where it has gone.  Your very welcome to it!  😁

Jim

I actually put a scarf on today. No coat as yet, but little cotton scarf to take the chill off the windpipe was in order, I felt. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I actually put a scarf on today. No coat as yet, but little cotton scarf to take the chill off the windpipe was in order, I felt. 

But he'll be out in his vest washing the car tomorrow morning.

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

1 hour ago, cornamuse said:

Glad you haven’t got the big coat out yet then! 

Apparently there was snow in Darlo over lunch, but barely a trace when I arrived there at 3pm

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Apparently there was snow in Darlo over lunch, but barely a trace when I arrived there at 3pm

barely worthy of the name snow, tbh. It is, however, cold enough to freeze the brass monkeys. I’m glad I’m locked away for a 5 hour zoom interview this evening, and it’s not often anyone is glad to be on zoom 🫣

• Friendly/supportive 3

54 minutes ago, cornamuse said:

barely worthy of the name snow, tbh. It is, however, cold enough to freeze the brass monkeys. I’m glad I’m locked away for a 5 hour zoom interview this evening, and it’s not often anyone is glad to be on zoom 🫣

True, it's a bit parky out.

This week we have had bright sun for the duration of the day, but the frost has remained throuighout. Cold bright crunchy dog walks result!  Much prefer this to rain and mud.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Yes, similar down here, sunny, but stone-hard-frozen all day. The bit I’m less keen on is the bacon-slicer wind, which has thankfully backed-off today.

What Norfolk folk call "a lazy wind" – it doesn't go round you, it goes through you. I expect there are countless local variations. Still it does seem apposite standing on our beach looking north as there's nothing between you and the North Pole except the odd oil rig and what's left of the Polar icecap.

But no snow. 

• Like 3