Picked up and thrown down in disgust IIRC.

+1 to Kevin's point, please.

Above 50 on the controller, all my locos are surefooted little sweathears. However, in the band at which they permanently operate (c.20, when they start to move, to c.30, when they move too fast) it's a different story with a much higher attition rate!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Interesting, but it omits the thing that I’m perhaps most interested in: which one operates best?

Both run absolutely fine out of the box, so no concerns there. 

Neither is run in, however. The Hornby chassis is new and the Rails/Dapol has been in a box all this time. 

I can give them both a good run over the weekend and report. To make it a fair comparison, I'll put the Hornby body back on!

20240106_125201.jpg.d9e9f765aebca00ab80a6690751d0ddc(1).jpg.f5b4900295a6f7134d0bb68582683301.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/01/2024 at 14:17, Edwardian said:

Islands represent the perfect excuse for a 'closed system'. My, I felt wryly humourous, take was to play on the various UK "Isle of..." place names and imagine a Fenland system:

Now there's a nice name for a very rural, railside, little village - Wryly Humourous - especially as someone has actually done Tarring Neville. I never did find out what crime Neville had committed.

Tarring Neville Bexhill MRC show 12 8 2023.jpg

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

13 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

Now there's a nice name for a very rural, railside, little village - Wryly Humourous - especially as someone has actually done Tarring Neville. I never did find out what crime Neville had committed.

Tarring Neville Bexhill MRC show 12 8 2023.jpg

Well, there's a real place not that far from me called Neville's Cross.

No one knows what happened to upset him so.

Tarring, possibly.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Tarring Neville is a real place, just north of Newhaven, and it looks as if the layout represents the cement works that was on that side of the railway nearby.

As @Nearholmer and others are well aware, the suffix "-ing" is common in Sussex place names, not least that near-misprint Fulking, home of the excellent Shepherd and Dog pub https://www.shepherdanddogpub.co.uk/ (usual disclaimer).

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

“ing” is very common wherever Anglo-Saxons went, not only in England, but in parts of continental Europe too. I think it means something like “bunch of people”, so a village called Gadding would’ve been where Gadd’s people lived (Gadd was a genuine A-S personal name).

It gets a bit confusing though, because some A-S personal names ended “Stan”, so Friston village might be a contraction/corruption of Frithstaningas (The place where Frithstan’s people lived), Hastings is a contracted “ingas” for instance, or it might be Frith’s Tun (the enclosure belonging to Frith). Also the vowels got corrupted over time, so Steyning (pronounced Stenning) might have been Staningas at some stage.

Quite a few Saxon settlements had women leaders, Frith was a female name, and Wulfruna gave us Wolverton and I think Wolverhampton, although they might equally have been where a couple of different blokes called Wulfhere settled their families, so it would be perfectly legitimate to have an Ingasinga, the place of Inga’s people!

PS: “ing” can also mean a couple of other place-name things in A-S too, I think depending on the date when it first came into use for a locality. Some water meadows were called “ings”, and at some stage it meant simply “place”. Rucking is supposed to mean “the place of rooks”, but whether it is simply “the rook place”, or the rooms were being thought of as a bunch of people, a family, so an “ingas” I haven’t the faintest idea.

”Holm”, which is Norse, is similarly confusing, because in some places it means “slightly offshore island”, but where I live nowadays it means something like “water meadow”, which is where my pseudonym comes from.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Ingasinga, the place of Inga’s people!

Who were, of course, that well-known original South Saxon folk group, the Ingasingas.

They even got written up by enthusiasts as far away as Iceland - see the Ingasingasagas.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Both run absolutely fine out of the box, so no concerns there. 

Neither is run in, however. The Hornby chassis is new and the Rails/Dapol has been in a box all this time. 

I can give them both a good run over the weekend and report. To make it a fair comparison, I'll put the Hornby body back on!

Obviously, if the Hornby chassis is a decent runner, it's the one to put under these alternative bodies, as that reduces the number of Hornby Terriers in circulation. 

As to

10 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

the Mid-Hants used to do Thomas vs Diesel races through Ropley as part of their Thomas Days Out, twenty years ago. I don't think they do these any more - the platforms were crowded with small children and their distracted parents so I imagine whoever did the Risk Assessment would wake up at night in a cold sweat. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Obviously, if the Hornby chassis is a decent runner, it's the one to put under these alternative bodies, as that reduces the number of Hornby Terriers in circulation. 

Yes, indeed, though the decision in this case was based upon the fact that the Oak Hill Works Fletcher Jennings body was designed to fit the Hornby chassis, which it does perfectly (once a bit's sawn off).  While I daresay it would probably fit over the Rails/Dapol chassis, there would probably be filling, packing and creating new fixing points etc, which is the kind of unnecessary faff I am too lazy and not perverse enough to contemplate. 

While I don't love Hornby's hex nut crank pins, most of my issues are with the Hornby Terrier body. The only other poor feature of the Hornby Terrier chassis is the clunky guard irons to the wrong shape, but this is not such a factor when the chassis is not being used as a Terrier's chassis. In other words there is no real need to prefer the Dapol chassis for the conversion.

Nevertheless, I fear Hornby will continue make Terriers faster than I can buy them for chassis! 

Edited by Edwardian
Spelling!
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Edwardian said:

Nevertheless, I fear Hornby will continue make Terriers faster than I can buy them for chassis! 

Have you considered having a word with those Somali or Yemeni pirates? I'm sure something could be arranged to interrupt the supply...

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

I have three Rails Terriers and ten Hornby ones.   Not that I am a Terrier addict !

All the Hornby models run superbly.   One of the Rails ones is a very poor runner, one is not too bad and the third is equal to the Hornby models.

I think possibly the good Rails model runs a little slower than the Hornby ones.

It may be that later Dapol/Rails models are better.

Rodney

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

25 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Have you considered having a word with those Somali or Yemeni pirates? I'm sure something could be arranged to interrupt the supply...

Yes, the houthis, bless their little jihadi socks, may well be of some actual use here. Fortunately, they have not managed to intercept the Kernow GW steam railmotors, due chez Kernow today I believe. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Yes, the houthis, bless their little jihadi socks, may well be of some actual use here. 

I am now fantasising about the Arabic-language equivalent of Railway Modeller being inexplicably flooded with articles about layouts based on Sussex BLTs...

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, RodneyS said:

I have three Rails Terriers and ten Hornby ones.   Not that I am a Terrier addict !

13 you say, I'm not sure we can let you into Terriers Anonymous on such low numbers 🤣 (all the new tooling ones are good runners, regardless of who made them)

2024-01-1210_32_38.jpg.52ba1f4e25ca503e2e92a2c7ce8c5db7.jpg

and that doesn't include the ones that have been sacrificed for test building the Oak Hill Works kits!

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 6
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

14 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Ah, brought to the screens of British children as Hector's House

Toutou always makes me think of the RN gunboats, Mimi & Toutou, named by the frankly odd Lt-Cmdr Spicer-Simson, and sent to sink the Kaiser's battleships on Lake Tanganyika, events that inspired C. S. Forester's 1935 novel, The African Queen. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BlueLightning said:

13 you say, I'm not sure we can let you into Terriers Anonymous on such low numbers 🤣 (all the new tooling ones are good runners, regardless of who made them)

2024-01-1210_32_38.jpg.52ba1f4e25ca503e2e92a2c7ce8c5db7.jpg

and that doesn't include the ones that have been sacrificed for test building the Oak Hill Works kits!

Gary

Gary,

As you have as many as the LB&SCR I hope that they are all renamed and numbered.  😄

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

events that inspired C. S. Forester's 1935 novel, The African Queen. 

A veteran of which campaign, Graf von Götzen,

1920px-2018_04_19_Modell_Graf_G%C3%B6tze

she of the cruiser gun which started the whole affair,

Graf_Goetzen_Kanone.jpg

is, to the best of my knowledge, still in service:

Liemba'n%C4%B1n_%C5%9Fu_anki_durumu..jpg

Which is amazing on several levels.

Has there been a model made of Simson's be-skirted Circus?

Edited by Schooner
Pics
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Tarring Neville is a real place, just north of Newhaven, and it looks as if the layout represents the cement works that was on that side of the railway nearby.

I know it well. It is at the outer limit of my walks in that direction. It is a tiny hamlet with a church that seems too big for its community. It is currently a 'Chapel of Ease'. No longer a parish church, it is in theory available for baptisms, weddings and funerals. I seem to remember reading that there are only two places in East Sussex with double-barrelled names. The 'East's etc don't count. The other is Horsted Keynes. The chalk quarries are difficult to photograph because they are glaringly white, although a bit toned down in this shot!

Durham Farm Tarring Neville from a train 23 6 2014.jpg

Pond Cottages Tarring Neville.jpg

St Mary's Tarring Neville 15 11 11.jpg

DSC01669.JPG

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 2