1 hour ago, westerhamstation said:

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/news/are-you-a-man-of-kent-or-kentish-man-228500/

Fremlins Brewery was on the east side of the Medway. All the best Adrian.

The Cock Inn at the junction of Brishing Lane and Heath Road, Boughton Monchelsea near Maidstone, Kent, I believe. 

(Not that I've any idea where that is, by the way, because it's not Oop North)

997932780_CockInnBoughtonMonchelsea.jpg.ee66d9580b58ca86ef6f9c35b0c43c8d.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Edwardian said:

(Not that I've any idea where that is, by the way, because it's not Oop North)

But the locomotives in that part of the world were certainly northern: by William Kirtley, son of a Tanfield Geordie; and by James Stirling, Ayrshire born and bred.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NeilHB said:

For Custom Transfers if you haven’t sorted things out already, I can very much recommend talking to Corbs at Railway Mania. He produced my custom ETCo transfers for my goods stock. Very good quality and for a darn good price too. 

That I didn't know, thank you.

Ian MacCormac of this parish has actually already put quite a lot of work in on coach and wagon transfers, but then we distracted him with GER coach transfers, so I need to gather up the threads. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Nearholmer said:

Just think of it as a semi-detached part of France.

Younger readers may not recall that for many years before HS1, the Channel Tunnel trains rumbled gently up to London by way of what the French would call the ligne classique, in contrast to their flat-out 300 kph dash through the frankly dull countryside of northern France. Allegedly, President Mitterrand said this was so that the passengers peut mieux voir le paysage Kentoise.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Younger readers may not recall that for many years before HS1, the Channel Tunnel trains rumbled gently up to London by way of what the French would call the ligne classique, in contrast to their flat-out 300 kph dash through the frankly dull countryside of northern France. Allegedly, President Mitterrand said this was so that the passengers peut mieux voir le paysage Kentoise.

Having travelled through the brassica-laden fields of Picardy, I can only say that 186mph wasn’t fast enough. Although trundling through Kent during the tail end of the morning rush hour gave us more opportunities to view the scenery than was possibly intended.

I was travelling with a French and a German colleague. They were perplexed at the lack of a high speed route, but kind enough not to mention it.

• Like 5
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

43 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Just bloody rude sometimes, the French.  I don't know why we put up with them .... oh, but wait ......... 

15 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Having travelled through the brassica-laden fields of Picardy, I can only say that 186mph wasn’t fast enough.

There is something consumingly depressing about that landscape.

I get really bored and fidgetty for the mere minutes it takes to traverse the Vale of York, or whatever that flat bit south of York is called. No countryside in the North has the right to be that dull. It's a liberty ....

So miles of the French Version of the Sto Plains with mind-bendingly dull equivalents of Big Cabbage (Grand Shoe or some such) is my idea of Hell. 

Although trundling through Kent during the tail end of the morning rush hour gave us more opportunities to view the scenery than was possibly intended.

It;s all a cunning ploy to fool foreigners into thinking that England is nothing more than a quaint, old fashioned, ramshackle place of no account trading off its faded past glories  .... oh, but wait .........

I was travelling with a French and a German colleague. They were perplexed at the lack of a high speed route, but kind enough not to mention it.

Sometimes I think that, while we had an Empire, the Continental Europeans had a civilisation!

Oh dear, I've strayed into Proceedings by mistake. Point of Order Mr Chairman!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Yes, but, the De Glehn Atlantics did have a prettier route to follow, over the Chalk downland to Boulogne, then work round to follow the Somme watermeadows, “ligne classique” as our scholarly friend puts it. Just wait for the sweeping views of the lovely Chilterns you’ll get from HS2.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

With regards to your coach, why bother printing the handrails? A simple jig would enable you to make up wire ones in next to no time, and it would look a damn sight better. As for commode handrails, I got 247 to etch up a load of HR carriage fittings for me, and there are things like end steps, commode handles, ventilator bonnets, so that you could replace your printed ones with etched ones...

Andy G

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, uax6 said:

With regards to your coach, why bother printing the handrails? A simple jig would enable you to make up wire ones in next to no time, and it would look a damn sight better. As for commode handrails, I got 247 to etch up a load of HR carriage fittings for me, and there are things like end steps, commode handles, ventilator bonnets, so that you could replace your printed ones with etched ones...

Andy G

Both printer and designer are keen to push the frontiers of this relatively new technology.  We already knew better than to print the buffers, bit pretty much everything else has been attempted. 

If I cannot whittle down the end and roof hand rails, I may replace them, however, I remain of the view that the best result for the commode handles is likely to be to trim the support ramps.  Only the upper part of the handle, not the brackets, is remotely flattish on the prototype and, therefore, as suited to an etch as to a 3D print. 

End steps I am happy with and certain things work rather well in 3D print, and arguably better than an etched equivalent, such as door hinges and ventilator bonnets.  Indeed, on some GER coaches, I shall be replacing the etched vent hoods with 3D printed ones from Guy Rixon. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Northroader said:

Now, squire, what’s your reaction to the Accurascale release?

Just remember, you read it here first:

Life imitating art.

Edited by Compound2632
Ex-train-eous photo of NER P-something hopper removed.
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Back in my P4 days I scratchbuilt 3 or 4 chauldron wagons complete with brake gear made from many small hand filed bits and soldered together.  Devilishly difficult things to get to look right, but it certainly was an interesting and absorbing project.  It's certainly nice to see a manufacturer taking a punt on something outside the 'safe' mainstream choices of pre-grouping prototypes that survived into the BR era and then preservation.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Yes  Accurascale has released the chauldrons recently Stephen (which I already knew), but when did a manufacturer of RTR models last take a punt like that with a not exactly mainstream model.

• Like 1