Mikadotrain/REE Models X2800 N Gauge Autorail

SNCF stephen

I wanted to start a topic on here about the Mikadotrain X2800 Autorail. I have also posted a video review of the model on my youtube channel which can be viewed below. 

To start with I have to say that I had heard that the front was being compressed which I believe is so that the bogies can swivel allowing the train to traverse curves tighter than that which occur in real life. I can accept this as being a compromise that has to be made but, nevertheless, I think that the model has lost some of the charm of the prototype by doing this compression. I wonder whether alternatives such as having gaps in the side of the body for the bogies to move  (with the missing part of the body added to the outside of the bogies) were considered? What I would say though, in the models defence, is that the detail on the rest of the model is superb. It has LED lights which are not so glaringly bright as to be out of scale or detracting from the model itself which is all too common these days. 

post-6976-0-11099900-1454268159.jpg

I have heard that on DC it runs very well and having seen videos on youtube I have no doubt that the mechanism (which appears to be a modified Tomytec chassis) runs well. However, in my case, I have opted for a Sound fitted DCC variant. I am not sure if there is an issue with the sound chip itself (perhaps drawing too much current from the track) but I have found the operation to be very stuttery with serious issues even on clean brand new track. I took steps to remedy this including trying extra weight which seemed to help but in the end I found that the unit worked a lot better with the sound module disabled. At the SNCFS show Kintbury Jon had a look at it and we removed one of the three traction tyres which helped a bit. I think I will remove the other two as I think it will be able to pull itself along without these with ease. After that I will be seeing if I can add more weight to give it better footing. 

When you spend a serious amount of money on a model you may be able to accept a compromise in one area but to have a significant issue in the performance of the autorail with an expensive DCC chip is rather frustrating. If anyone else has any thoughts or views to add then please do feel free to post. I can fully accept that I might be the one person who is experiencing this issue. 

post-6976-0-94369800-1454268157.jpg

https://youtu.be/J-Y7VG_gGR0

The front of the cab has been squashed together so that has all of the features of the real thing but with less space taken up. This means the bottom edge of the cab sits higher than the prototype which in turn allows the bogies to have more room to pivot. These two images below show the front windows on the real thing being larger and the buffers being slightly larger. The compression is minor and on first inspection it can be missed but as you spend more time looking at the model the more it becomes apparent that something is not quite right. 

IMG_9264_modifie.jpg

IMG_1607.jpg

A good comparison is shown here showing the bogies on the N Gauge version to be more exposed than the HO Gauge version although I have heard that even this version is not quite to scale:

http://fbrisou.free.fr/X2800-3.JPG 

I can understand why it was done but I would be interested to see what aftermarket parts might become available to modify the autorail to improve the look. 

One arrived here the other day, but I managed all of two seconds glimpse of it before it was spirited away for a 'significant date' a couple of weeks hence... I was really in two minds about buying one, given the reviews, but decided to see it as a challenge. There's not a lot more I can say before I can appraise the model in the flesh, but I think I will be replacing the moulded front handrails with wire ones. I did this to a Minitrix BB67400 and it made a huge difference.

I will also remove the couplings and add some pipework as mine will only ever run solo. I am also wondering whether there is anything to be done about the window size. I gather part of the problem is over-scale rubber grommets - not sure if there is anything short of a fuller-glaze, possibly with a slight opening out of the apertures.

I'm guessing the shallow door apertures are there because of the motor etc. inside, so maybe not much that can be done there? One easy improvement should be to replace the over-buffer footsteps with something less grotesquely thick. I am also amassing loads of pictures to assist with weathering, as mine will be pretty much in end-of-life condition. I did wonder whether it might be possible to add a small skirt to the front end to deal with the compression you mention, but I'm thinking that might make matters worse rather than better.

Perhaps reduce the depth of those fuel fillers etc. a little? Maybe wire windscreen wipers?

I shall possibly try to improve the air intakes in the cab roof - and I did wonder about trying to file the roof profile down to something more realistic but I'm not sure I'm *that* brave!

I reckon it's never going to be perfect, but it's the best we have.

Thanks for starting this thread Stephen - will be useful to share ideas. One where first-language discussion may help, though I'm tempted to start something similar on Le Forum du N and see what happens!

Ian

Thank you for your work in reviewing this model.  I purchased a DC version at the Sedan exhibition and subsequently fitted a TCS (non-sound) chip.  It runs really well in this configuration, although my plans to retrofit a sound chip will definitely be on hold now.  Despite the compromises it is still a lovely model.  It seems to be a decent weight which helps with pick-up, although more would no doubt benefit its running.  My Mabar ABJ3 is not as good in this department and requires some extra weight somewhere.

I wonder if the traction tyres are not the problem, the stalling being caused by the excessive power demands of the sound chip?  I say this because mine runs well with the tyres and you noticed a difference once the sound was switched off.  Just a thought.

Delfin

The front windows on the prototype to me look square and the rectangular shape on the model just doesn't look right.  In my mind they should have raised the height of the windows though I appreciate that they then wouldn't have been in line with the side windows.

The roof seems to stick out which makes it look a little odd.

Best bet is to not compare the model with the real thing though!  It's a nice looking model as it is and I have coped with bigger visual problems with some of my other models.

• RMweb Gold

I think the chassis is a modified Tomytec design. As such it will be constrained by their dimensions.

I had noted that from comments above and, of course, a longer bogie wheelbase would give even greater problems in turning on tight curves.

But the N gauge market in France does have a lot of modellers who want to cram a lot onto their baseboard, so I don't blame them for wanting to cater for that. Ideally they would offer a second chassis option for people who have larger curve radii.

Maybe one option is to see if you can get hold of and the construct one of the kits offered by AIM trains n co. I had one for the X 2800 and ADX but they wouldn't negotiate the turns in my layout. I believe the bogies came from a German locomotive and were pretty decent in length. Of course they lacked the detail offered on this model.

There certainly seems to have been a lot of belly-aching in France about this model, but not many suggestions for what can be done about it. I'm disappointed with the compromises - while I understand kintbury jon's point that it is best just to avoid the comparison, there is no way that the model is ever going to look truly right. I accept that I'm a bit of a purist in these things!

I don't wish to knock the French N gauge guys who are being pretty helpful to me right now, but there doesn't seem to be a widespread culture of improving models over there, as there is/was in the U.K. when these problems were more frequent. It would be nice to think that someone might offer a new bogie frame for instance, but I don't see it happening.

That said, tackling that front end compression would involve pretty radical surgery. I don't think my first idea of adding skirts would do the trick at all - what it needs is a slice though at window level and the insertion of a fillet to drop the buffer-beam line and make the windows deeper. Anyone fancy trying? ;-)

Not sure these compromises would be accepted (or even countenanced ) in the U.K. market these days... Still, I eagerly await seeing it in the flesh on 15th Feb!

Apologies for rambling...

Ian

I agree with Kintbury Jon in that it is a good model that stands on its own. It is also important to remember that Mikadotrain is a very small outfit that has done a lot to push forward n gauge so while this is a compromised model it is pretty decent for a smaller manufacturer. I would point out that this railcar is a difficult prototype compared to the x2200 tackled previously (which in my opinion is excellent).

• 2 weeks later...

After several weeks of waiting I finally set eyes upon my own X2800 today. I must admit I was quite apprehensive as I opened the present, as all that mixed publicity had me expecting the worst. But I think it's a nice model. Not perfect to be sure, but very passable in a layout setting. I removed those couplings and not without difficulty put the pipes in. I think they are going to need replacing with metal ones before too long. The chip went in reasonably easily, thought the wiring inside feels pretty flimsy. I see that it is possible to retro-fit sound. Now that's tempting...

Looking at it, I'm not sure I'm going to bother with too many of the mods I suggested a few days ago - the moulded handrails are so fine that even the finest of wires will struggle. I think I shall probably confine myself to a fairly heavy weathering job in due course - presently looking at loads of pictures to see how they looked after long service. The most annoying thing is the shortened bogie wheelbase - but even there you have to look fairly hard, and know what's wrong before it jars.

I think we are falling prey to the power of the macro lens here - when blown up to half-page size, most things in N look a bit crude. But hardly fair to appraise a model on that basis when that's not the way it's seen - unless you're an ultra-anorak that is ;-)

Ian

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update. After the SNCF society show in Lenham I didn't do much with trains as I was ill for a while. However in the past few days j have got back to doing a few things and have been able to improve how the model works with the sound function live.

Removing one of the traction tyres so it only has a single one on the train has seen a huge improvement to how it runs. It has had the adverse affect of making it have a small amount of wheel slip but I will take that over the sound chip stalling and having to restart every time it failed to pick up current.

It has made me feel a lot happier about the model and despite its shortcomings I do still like it.

Archived