Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Where to attach droppers

petertg

Good evening all!

I do not know whether this is the right place for this query, since it concerns both dcc matters and tracklaying. However, the question is: I have a Hornby crossover and I would like to know where to solder the droppers.

Are you referring to the diamond crossing?  If so, I think you only need one live and one return attached to the respective rails of one of the four entries.  I have a diamond crossing on my layout - it was laid in the early days before I attached droppers to every piece of rail - and it has no droppers attached - it relies on the rail joiners to conduct the power.  After seven years, there has been no electrical problem with it.

Harold.

Is it insulfrog or electrofrog.

If the latter, you Do need a dropper for the frogs, but you need to be able to switch the polarities to avoid shorts.

Could we maybe have a photo of where it is in relation to other trackwork and how you intend to wire the rest of the layout around it.

From there, we can better assist you.

Hi

Firstly don't get too worried... The Hornby diamond crossing and all their points do not come in Electrofrog versions, they are all Insulated frog.

If its Hornby points then for best operation electrically and data for DCC too with Insulated frog points is to connect two droppers to the outer two stock rails (One straight  and one curved rail).  You can solder the droppers to the rails underside before laying the track or to the rails outer web area if the point is already laid.

If it is the Hornby diamond crossing then if you really want to add droppers just solder two to one ends pair of rails and two more to the diagonal pair of rails at one end, ensuring you maintain correct rail polarity in each direction. But I seriously doubt you will actually need them especially if the track and points before and after the diamond have droppers connected to their rails.  As stated by HLT0109... Just rely on the metal rail joiners to feed the diamonds rails in both directions.

Archived