Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

What are these wagons?

sub39h

Adding to Jo's comments, I think they numbered 100 wagons, built in the very late 80s with an eye to potential cross channel traffic via the tunnel, they were designed to be fitted with removable roofs for tunnel use!

I'm not sure they ever did go into cross channel service, domestic aggregates and latterly scrap traffic has been their use over the years.

Tiphook became part of GE in 1998.

If you're in OO, S-Kits makes a nice resin kit for them.

Adding to Jo's comments, I think they numbered 100 wagons, built in the very late 80s with an eye to potential cross channel traffic via the tunnel, they were designed to be fitted with removable roofs for tunnel use!

I'm not sure they ever did go into cross channel service, domestic aggregates and latterly scrap traffic has been their use over the years.

Tiphook became part of GE in 1998.

If you're in OO, S-Kits makes a nice resin kit for them.

Three wagons were fitted with removable roofs, and used for a traffic in lead-contaminated spelter slag from the zinc smelter in Avonmouth to somewhere in Belgium until the Smelter closed.

When EWS were testing the water for 'open-access' operations in France, they transferred a couple of trains' worth to France to run trains from the quarries at Caffiers (between Calais and Boulogne) to the Paris region. These lasted over there until replaced by hoppers, and were then transferred back to the UK. I believe they may have made an 'unofficial' loaded run from Caffiers to Ashford via the Tunnel.

Some have now had the upper parts of the sides extended with strengthened panels to maximise the potential load of scrap that can be carried.

As here, new in 1988. Did they carry a TOPS code? http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ferrytiphookaggregatebox

Paul

I don't think I've ever seen one carrying the TOPS code.

They must be the tattiest wagons around; they seem to have had just a thin layer of paint when new, and haven't seen paint (apart from on the data panels) since. They were Tiphook initially, part of a large fleet intended for 'spot hire', then bought by General Electric Rail Services, and now owned by Touax (which will mean the number patches getting some more paint.)

Archived