Iron Ore Hoppers--prototype info sought

Crepello

• RMweb Premium

I'm enquiring about the Bachmann 37-508/Graham Farish 373-215 as I can't see them in any of my wagon books. When and where did they run? In block trains only? In mixed trains with tipplers? TIA.

I'm enquiring about the Bachmann 37-508/Graham Farish 373-215 as I can't see them in any of my wagon books. When and where did they run? In block trains only? In mixed trains with tipplers? TIA.

The type that Bachmann/Farish model was going out of use (at least for ore traffic) by the early 1970s; they survived a while longer on sand and aggregate traffic. In ore traffic, they'd have been used in flows to a lot of the smaller works that were losing their blast furnaces, such as those around the West Midlands, and the Ebbw Vale plant in South Wales. They also had been used in traffic to Llanwern, which switched from using Newport Docks, to using Port Talbot, and went over to air-braked tipplers. In ore traffic, they'd have run in block trains of assorted types of hoppers; I don't think you'd have seen them mixed with tipplers, as works seemed to use one or other, not both.

In sand traffic, you would see them running in normal goods trains, and mixed with tipplers, dependent on the destination. 

• RMweb Gold

They did run in trains of mixed hopper types, we used to get a regular one from the Banbury area to Bilston through Snow Hill. 

As to the parentage, you won't find an exact one in the books as these models were strectched to fit a 10' chassis whereas the real ones were 9' and IIRC they are slightly too high. Side elevation-wise the body is probably approaching 10% oversize.

Archived