Fairburn 4MT Latest version.

Black 5 Bear

As a model I feel it is right up there with the best on offer in RTR OO steam models. Looks and measures up well (helps that it is a handsome subject!) performs beautifully, this based on my single now near ten year old example. I am definitely not alone in appreciation of this model, cannot recall very much at all in the way of criticism online, which is usually a sign that all is well. It'll be a sorry surprise if SITNW's report of the current production run is anything but positive.

Bachmann do omit some detail, with good reason, specifically the footsteps front and rear. These will foul wheels or couplings on small radius curves, the model may be easily improved by their addition if layout curves and coupler choice permit. Likewise the buffers, which are possibly the weakest element on the model; replacement with better detailed components is a major enhancement.

• 9 months later...

I was browsing through Hattons looking at possible Christmas presents ;) and seen this. I have no idea when it was announced and never knew of its presence. However I actually rather quite like the weathered look on it. It is more like dirty black or a matt black finish rather than a full weathering job, but it appeals to me. The model is also very good having seen a few in the fresh before.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/82902/Bachmann_Branchline_32_880_Class_4MT_Fairburn_2_6_4_tank_2278_LMS_black_weathered/StockDetail.aspx

Archived