The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Which W Yorks power station is this pls

lakeview770

• RMweb Premium

I think it's Skelton Grange on the outskirts of Leeds, fed by barge from the Aire and Calder and by rail from Waterloo Sidings between Stourton and Woodlesford. The area is very different now due to landscaping. The power station closed in the 80's I think. The rail access had two bow string concrete bridges on it that are still there. The two buildings are the A and B sites I think A was 1930's and B 1950's.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

My father worked at Ferrybridge A and B and he thinks Skelton would be too small. What has thrown us is if its Ferry C thats being constructed where is Ferry B? as another station can be seen to left of the shot possibly A station. Ferry C fits the time frame as it didn't come online until a year or two after this film, its just the lack of B station thats thrown us or it could be the angle of the filming maybe it was shot from Brotherton. But thanks guys at least its narrowed down to Ferrybridge or Skelton.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

The sizes of the station are wrong for Ferrybridge A and B. A was brick built and some distance down river from B. Skelton did have the two different size turbine halls and the 6 cooling towers. The film is, I think, taken from the Woodlesford end of Waterloo siding near the signal box. As far as I k now Skelton was the only one with the fairly long branch line that gave access to the main line. It was always fed with 16T minerals via a tippler and was never adapted to take MGR's.

I got to know the area fairly well in the early 70's as I started my Police career at Rotwell which covered the south bank of the River Aire from Knostrop down to Methley and we used to drive Panda's alongside the branch line at night then nip through the power station to get back on our patch at Stourton, with a quick look at the narrow gauge system at Knostrop on the way.

Jamie

I think that it is Skelton Grange

post-6861-0-55926900-1455107092.jpeg

The disposition of the buildings and chimneys is the same though it looks like one cooling tower has been truncated and some others demolished.

Edit; Fascinating film by the way, thanks for posting.

• RMweb Premium

Yes those are definitely Skelton Grange. In the aerial one it looks like the southern station is in the process of demolition. The coal handling tippler for the rail delivery was just off the picture below and centre. That was joined IIRC by another conveyer from the barge unloading wharf on the canal, that crossed the river. I've got some colour photos of those boats somewhere coming up the canal through Fishponds lock. Some of them used to load in the basin at Saville Colliery at Methley.

Jamie

Archived