Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Heath End- 1989 Kent Based Layout- FOR SALE

Markmiller2008

Hi all.

A new thread to showcase my new Southern Layout, its a big step for me going from Scottish to Southern but i fancied a change.

Details Below.

Layout Name: Heath End
Scale/Gauge: 4mm 00
Size: 12ft Long by 1ft Wide
Exhibition layout, or stay-at-home? Exhibition layout eventually
Type end-to end? continuous run? End to End with fiddle yards at each end. 
Era/region/location: Late 80's Kent/London 

Just before christmas i was given the opportunity to buy some boards from Richard Slate of Orchard Road Fame which were a project for a customer who had pulled out of the deal.

As you can see from the below pictures its pretty much a blank canvas, i have started some remedial works needed but i intend to document each step on here.

Thanks

Mark

Edited by Markmiller2008
  • Like 4

Its proved quite productive with the layout.

I had an issue with a point motor that would only throw in one direction so this was swapped for one i had salvaged from Lochnagar with minimal fuss.

Started to paint the back scene and the front of the layout in Lupin and Lapis Blue respectively.

Unfortunately the track replacement is being held up by the lack of Sleeper Grime paint which my local model shop seems to be out of.

I'm thinking about sorting the bridge area out next although it seems quite low for a road so that may take some thought to work out whats going there.

Mark

7BE410E3-9B03-4365-B79B-F25FF9C98ACC.jpg

Well i got out to the garage today and put the new piece of track in place.

I put a couple of screws at the join end and soldered the track ends to these to prevent the movement,

Tested with my Hornby class 73 and all seems good.

Had to repair a point motor as the wires had come off two of the connections.

No other progress so far as i want to try and get the layout running correctly before going any further.

Mark

• Like 3

After Visiting the Telford show on Saturday i came back with a lot of items to start processing Heath End a bit further.

I Picked up a DCC Fitted Blue 2EPB for £74.50 from Holders Collectables at the show and this has been dismantled ready for some NSE magic to be put onto it!

AF08EB89-F60F-477B-B61F-92AF06617D9E.jpg

73105 has had its nameplates fitted, numbers to follow as i totally forgot to get some. It will then receive a Craftsman Detailing Kit and Laserglaze, Before it then gets new IC Stripes to replace the N Gauge sized ones Hornby Printed on the loco. 

A3629FAE-1543-4F44-8CAD-375D370ECD87.jpg

And Finally i decided to totally replace the right hand fiddle yard ply top with a new piece, which will be painted and then receive the boards to hide it from Joe Public when at Exhibitions.

F956FC09-3B1B-4C2D-AA06-748932A79C28.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm liking the look of this layout Mark I will be following with great interest I'll send you the link for 3rd rail dimensions via Farcebook as I can't seem to paste the link here ?

Great layout name by the way very Southern region theme.

Cheers

Colin

Edited by Cov Guard

Another Productive afternoon on the layout.

I emptied the contents of my box that i filled with items left over from the Loxley Road layout that never came about earlier and found a lot of use for Heath end.

E20886C7-1D08-4AF2-82F1-CA919DB66EF3.jpg

A Ten Commandments factory was placed on the layout, this will need a repaint before its used along with a portakabin for the front section.

1AB2695B-3999-43FF-804A-B96300A038AD.jpg
Amazing what ten minutes with a piece of ply and wood can create!

B4E9693F-2AF7-4BAB-B280-3D494A48611A.jpg
73129 sits on the goods loop whilst the MLV and BG are in the station platform area.

Now for some advice, which looks better?

623CF461-A457-4732-8D24-FED313869B68.jpg

Station Building on the left, random office building on the right.

Or

C39DDEB9-DE48-4A14-B6CC-506C4C375F33.jpg

Station Building left and area to be made into a urban square.

• Like 3

Very nice start - I see you've borrowed a few ideas from my N gauge layout which I haven't shared any pictures of or talked about on here yet *cough*

I like this sort of layout, right up my era and very interesting to see that you have a very similar sort of space to that which I have yet you seem to have a much better job of using the space than I was when I tried an OO project so I might nick some of your ideas and see what I can come up with.

Very nice start - I see you've borrowed a few ideas from my N gauge layout which I haven't shared any pictures of or talked about on here yet *cough*

I like this sort of layout, right up my era and very interesting to see that you have a very similar sort of space to that which I have yet you seem to have a much better job of using the space than I was when I tried an OO project so I might nick some of your ideas and see what I can come up with.

Cheers, i must be physic to know your ideas!

Its totally new to me, Southern is a whole new kettle of fish so it will be interesting to see how it comes out.

More progress , probably the last until next week now.

The Ticket office on the bridge has been changed again to make it look better and Wills VariGirder and a Parapet have appeared.

2CE9E0AC-A55E-4D4D-A2AF-6F3604E5EAA6.jpg

The River Bridge has been mocked up, need to do the river before i can do anything else on the bridge.

CE22AB10-D77C-4899-8221-FFDDD8AC73F5.jpg

modify_inline.gif

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Well on and off I've done a few bits on Heath end this week when not at work.

First job was to progress the bridge area, which is the first bit of scenery id like to get done

4C20D031-55D6-41C7-9FDE-E840B335ADB6.jpg
First job was to finish the other bridge sides and parapet, this also involved making a plasticard fillet to fill in the oversized cut out.

0AD2FC63-EB8B-45B7-826D-7C4E694AFA7F.jpg
Mocked up bridge ready for paint.

7455540E-0D86-4979-A00C-60DF179E0F68.jpg
The parapets and sides then received a white wash and some grey.

And hey presto some brown also put on the river bed, although this will need more work.

The left hand fiddle yard has also received the same make over that the right hand got and is now also 5 inches longer.
AF0FC0E2-13BB-4939-A5E1-8F174DD1DBEE.jpg

BECC1D5D-7317-4124-9388-DA56CF5D1366.jpg
I then decided today that some slight elevation was needed to break up the flatness.

139A21D5-37AD-42E8-AF7C-453667E1F0A7.jpg
With a small stone retaining wall starting to be added.

Once a layer of polyfilla has been added to seal the polystyrene the area will become a hard standing with the portakabin (Maybe Heath End Dial a Cab office and grotty car lot)
BD9610CE-4CC6-48B3-8144-AC71085FB9DA.jpg

Thats all for now folks.

• Like 10

Unfortunately Tuesdays extreme band of rain that occurred in this area left me with a partly flooded garage.

Thankfully the mats i have down in the garage meant the water was underneath them and not causing any damage.

So unfortunately my two days planned work on Heath End was curtailed to just today.

99158F35-19EF-4B8B-9CEE-43CCB30F4A8D.jpg

Progress on the overbridge, with a Bachmann BTP office purchased from the second hand section at my local model shop and what I presume is a Dapol footbridge being bashed for the station stairs.

7ECB1396-F08F-41B5-970E-06C5F80BDBC3.jpg

The left hand fiddle yard has had track laid, concrete instead of wood as that's all my local shop had. Thankfully it's not going to be seen.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well Heath End isn't progressing that far visually at the moment.

I've not had that much time to get down to the garage in the last couple of weeks with the way those weeks are in my work roster.

Never the less i had some time on friday and today to progress a little further with the fiddle yards.

4E314065-FD34-48ED-89AB-7BF9E31BE281.jpg
The right hand fiddle yard now has track. 

Once the track had been laid i needed to pop new power feeds onto the track and then had an impromptu running session.

6C80E700-C5A4-4ABF-BB2E-33C813D0D7F4.jpg
The 2EPB stands in the yet to be built station and 33033 stands in the goods loop with two breakdown coaches. 

5D484981-855E-4F22-A8CF-02F88C3A337B.jpg
The 2EPB approaches Heath End past the Mills and Co Engineering buildings.

9B7FBFD5-ED68-4E2E-B83B-9EE6CC7F67C5.jpg
33033 runs over the river bridge.

That's all for now.

Mark

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

9F7661F3-E7C5-40FD-933C-E0AAE66C871B.jpg

Not the best picture but I've finished off the station bridge area with the rest of the vari girder and parapets added.

Ive also put some 20thou plasticard onto the side of the steps down to the yet to be built platforms which will eventually be painted in an appropriate colour.

6EB0FBBB-D482-4D37-938C-8D45F1BFC1F4.jpg

7B9FCCB4-0778-45EF-B159-82B0517ECF5B.jpg

Not alot of progress on the layout this week.

I expected to do more but in the end only got round to fitting a couple of foots worth of cable trunking and the station overbridge..

• Like 8

Hi great looking layout! Is the platform going to be double sided or have a fence on the rear side? How are you going to run the fiddle yards, cassettes or mass hand shunting, especially in the left hand yard with one track?

I like the varying levels from the river up to the road bridge. The modified footbridge makes a good set of steps!

Hi great looking layout! Is the platform going to be double sided or have a fence on the rear side? How are you going to run the fiddle yards, cassettes or mass hand shunting, especially in the left hand yard with one track?

I like the varying levels from the river up to the road bridge. The modified footbridge makes a good set of steps!

The Platform will be an island platform, stock around the fiddle yards will be moved by hand.

How deep are the baseboard frames to make the river?

Not Entirely sure i will have to check.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

Not alot has happened with the layout lately.

037C8BE2-BE94-4308-AE51-2715C9E75516.jpg

The river/waterway has been added, i cheated a little bit with this as i used a pair of Skaledale Canal sections.

The layout will come down shortly for completion of the garage works and then Saltisford Lane will take its place for some prep work ready for an exhibition in November.

Heath end will then just have each board worked on seperately.

Mark

• Like 4

• 5 months later...