Finding my feet

Hi all. I've not posted on this esteemed site before but I thought I'd dip a toe in the water now I've stopped just making kits for enjoyment and then selling them on to fund the next one. I didn't have a clear direction for my modelling until I happened upon a very abused Sevenscal Pug kit and decided to do something other than fix it and paint it black. The result was a replica of Prince as used by Mowlem Construction and then United Glass Bottles.

Well that was that..... industrials for me and I'm just finishing off a Slaters Manning Wardle F before starting a lucky find - an 85a Hunslet kit. Adding to that I'd never really wanted my own layout but having joined a local club (and being put in charge of an O16.5 layout at their annual show last weekend) I've suddenly been bitten by that bug too so now I'll have plenty of questions to post on all those arcane areas of building and wiring a small layout.

For now though here's a picture of Prince (before I got makers plates for it).

post-28151-0-01601100-1455298825_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the Forum.

As a 13 years served ex-Mowlem employee, and lover of anything industrial I can only second the other comments, it looks superb.

They (Mowlem) have a lot to answer for, the first Cadbury loco (A Peckett no 440) was also one of theirs, bought second hand after working on construction of the LSWR at Bournemouth.

post-18627-0-27734300-1455353817.jpg

Your loco weathering looks spot on, what is the base colour used under that lovely patina of grime? I'm currently struggling with finding anything that doesn't look too maroon for a couple of industrials, though I suspect taking the plunge and weathering will 'brown' the colour down a bit. -  Next time you do one you will have to post some photo's of work in progress!

Keep up progress reports on the new layout.

Peter

Thanks guys. The colour was a bit of a stab in the dark really. In the end I went for a chestnut brown but photos from its later life show a very faded red brown? It still exists but is now painted BR black.

Yes indeed - that is Greek wallpaper behind the loco. An attempt at a photographic plank.

Hi Peter - many thanks for your comments its fantastic to be told you've got it right!

The colours used were - rattle can red oxide over the initial etch primer then Revell aqua colour 37 reddish brown (first time I'd used this make and it airbrushes beautifully) this was decidedly too red to the photo I'd settled on so I wash coated it with AK Interactive "rust streaks" enamel wash using a flat brush. The result was rather bright but gave the right look under the usual Humbrol mix of grot.

Archived