Last Waterloo-Bristol via S&D working

At the bottom of page 34 in the current (February 2016) issue of The Railway Magazine there is reproduced a photograph taken by a young John H Bird at Southampton Central on Saturday 1 January 1966. It shows three steam hauled trains, one being the last scheduled steam-hauled Pines Express (but via Reading, of course, not the S&D) while another is what is captioned as the 08.35 Waterloo-Weymouth. However, on Mondays-Fridays at least, at that period the 08.35 from Waterloo was a two portion train with the rear 3-set being detached at Bournemouth Central and working forward to Bristol Temple Meads via the S&D and Bath Green Park (including an unadvertised stop at Templeccombe Lower). (Indeed, I believe that before the Portishead branch closed the train actually worked through to Portishead.)

I don't know if that rear portion worked through on Saturdays but if it did, the photo shows the last booked Waterloo to Bristol via the S&D working. Does anyone know for certain? (The through working, by the way, wasn't shown in the public book but certainly appeared in the carriage workings and I actually travelled as far as Evercreech Junction on it from Waterloo on one occasion.)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived